My new 28 skater

Notices

My new 28 skater

Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
I agree. super job right out of the gate! I would like to see your setup on the Verado power steering.
Hey Guys I went a couple rounds with power steering in my boat. It is with the 400Rs. The Merc pump took 8 turns lock to lock which Skater felt was too many. They ordered a Latham pump that was 4 turns Lock to Lock. It worked well but you could hear it running the whole time up to almost total top end. Kinda ruined the experience. Other than the noise it worked well. The Merc pump according to the boys we were testing with runs nice and quiet. Latham was supposed to send Skater another pump as they make two sizes evidently for this application. Something got lost somewhere and we never received it. They ended up going with a pump from a company out of Australia. Big Thank you to Grant at Grants Signature Racing as he helped with the info on this situation. I listened to it or for it at the boatshow and you couldn't hear it at all. Very Happy. In regards to the Latham Pump. I like Latham and feel they do great work. We never got to test a second pump so it may have just been a bad apple once so to speak. I wouldn't discount them on my experience alone. If the sound wasn't a factor I would have kept it for sure.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob Latham makes a pump that only runs on demand so to speak. It has a proportional flow control as well.
Nice piece.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Bob Latham makes a pump that only runs on demand so to speak. It has a proportional flow control as well.
Nice piece.
Yea Ron, As you all know Im new here and just stating my situation. Latham has a great reputation and Im not trying to steer anybody away from them. Skater was going to build a box around it and Im sure it would have worked great. The pump does need airflow around it as it must give off some kind of heat. Pete did speak with Bob I think and He was sending a different pump just never arrived. When he found out about this other option that has been used before I guess he just decided to use this new other company that I don't personally know the name of. No custom sound proofing needed. And As I said it may have been one bad unit from Latham. I know they're Leaders in the industry and do great work. The pump we had was a constant running situation. As soon as the key went on there was a considerably loud humming noise from the pump that was mounted up in front of the bulkhead where the kick plates are for the driver and front passenger.There is no way I could have lived with it. Im sure Latham will address it and fix it if it is a design issue. I like the idea of a pump on demand. Sounds Like It may have worked for me. The one I had was definitely not on demand so it sounds like a direction I would definitely try. Once again I would have no problem trying any of Lathams products. They're very reliable and have a great reputation. Steve.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, Ron (Double Rigged)! Really COOL Skater logo on my Garmin 7610. I'll pass the "love" forward.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552755[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails My new 28 skater-p1000438.jpg   My new 28 skater-p1000439.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Taboma
Thanks, Ron (Double Rigged)! Really COOL Skater logo on my Garmin 7610. I'll pass the "love" forward.
Looking good. I'll check my mail box!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552771[/ATTACH] "Very Nice"

Last edited by Nice Pair; 05-31-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Registered

Man that dash is perfect, very clean. Nice work!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

After chasing bad coil issues for some time with Mercury, (and actually getting out in the boat with low boat traffic) , I think that I have gotten my speed back! Hope to get a video of a run soon. 115 MPH with 120 gallons fuel, 80# ballast in the bow, by myself, 87*, 72% RH, Bar 29.92. That speed matches the best I have gotten with low fuel and no ballast w/o DBR tunes. This run was with the DBR 1.3 flash - first time I have been able to stretch it out since the DBR tune and new new coils. I have also aligned my gearcases to be perfectly parallel as well. They were toed-in 3/16" before. I know that I will not be the fastest 28 out there, but I am pretty happy with the results. Thanks, DR, for the suggestion, - I really like the boat with the bow ballast. With the ballast, my water pressure has increased from 11 -12 PSI to 14 -15 PSI at neutral trim. Should I raise the gearcases or remove the ballast to try to extract more speed? Any input on this issue would be appreciated.

Last edited by Taboma; 11-01-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

After chasing bad coil issues for some time with Mercury, (and actually getting out in the boat with low boat traffic) , I think that I have gotten my speed back! Hope to get a video of a run soon. 115 MPH with 120 gallons fuel, 80# ballast in the bow, by myself, 87*, 72% RH, Bar 29.92. That speed matches the best I have gotten with low fuel and no ballast w/o DBR tunes. This run was with the DBR 1.3 flash - first time I have been able to stretch it out since the DBR tune and new new coils. I have also aligned my gearcases to be perfectly parallel as well. They were toed-in 3/16" before. I know that I will not be the fastest 28 out there, but I am pretty happy with the results. Thanks, DR, for the suggestion, - I really like the boat with the bow ballast. With the ballast, my water pressure has increased from 11 -12 PSI to 14 -15 PSI at neutral trim. Should I raise the gearcases or remove the ballast to try to extract more speed? Any input on this issue would be appreciated.
Hey David,
That is great news! I would try raising the gear case's another 1/4" and see what happens with the ballast in. I would then make another run with the ballast out and see what happens. I know most of the guys on here like to fly these boats but when I had my 28' It seemed to carry the weight in the bow fine. If you run without ballast try tucking in the motors a tick or to over 100mph to really pack air all the way through the tunnel.
looking forward to the video!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Taboma;4496547]After chasing bad coil issues for some time with Mercury, (and actually getting out in the boat with low boat traffic) , I think that I have gotten my speed back! Hope to get a video of a run soon. 115 MPH with 120 gallons fuel, 80# ballast in the bow, by myself, 87*, 72% RH, Bar 29.92. That speed matches the best I have gotten with low fuel and no ballast w/o DBR tunes. This run was with the DBR 1.3 flash - first time I have been able to stretch it out since the DBR tune and new new coils. I have also aligned my gearcases to be perfectly parallel as well. They were toed-in 3/16" before. I know that I will not be the fastest 28 out there, but I am pretty happy with the results. Thanks, DR, for the suggestion, - I really like the boat with the bow ballast. With the ballast, my water pressure has increased from 11 -12 PSI to 14 -15 PSI at neutral trim. Should I raise the gearcases or remove the ballast to try to extract more speed? Any input on this issue would be appreciated.[/QUOTmessege sent ,that's great news David

Last edited by tom kennedy; 11-01-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.