My new 28 skater >

My new 28 skater

Notices

My new 28 skater

Old 11-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 820 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Taboma
After chasing bad coil issues for some time with Mercury, (and actually getting out in the boat with low boat traffic) , I think that I have gotten my speed back! Hope to get a video of a run soon. 115 MPH with 120 gallons fuel, 80# ballast in the bow, by myself, 87*, 72% RH, Bar 29.92. That speed matches the best I have gotten with low fuel and no ballast w/o DBR tunes. This run was with the DBR 1.3 flash - first time I have been able to stretch it out since the DBR tune and new new coils. I have also aligned my gearcases to be perfectly parallel as well. They were toed-in 3/16" before. I know that I will not be the fastest 28 out there, but I am pretty happy with the results. Thanks, DR, for the suggestion, - I really like the boat with the bow ballast. With the ballast, my water pressure has increased from 11 -12 PSI to 14 -15 PSI at neutral trim. Should I raise the gearcases or remove the ballast to try to extract more speed? Any input on this issue would be appreciated.
That's running really well David! You should be able to run your gearcases at 1 7/8" - 2.0" above the bottom if you have water ramps. That's where the motors are set on my old 28. Any higher and I would drop pressure in turns and send a motor into guardian. 80#s up under the bow isn't a lot - I ran two 17# batteries and a battery charger (5#s) up under the bow of mine. All three of my 28s always liked negative trim - whether I was cruising 80-90 or running 120. Too many guys have the wrong impression that positive trim gains them speed - when it's actually just the opposite! Congrats again on such a beautiful 28 that runs as well as it looks!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
That's running really well David! You should be able to run your gearcases at 1 7/8" - 2.0" above the bottom if you have water ramps. That's where the motors are set on my old 28. Any higher and I would drop pressure in turns and send a motor into guardian. 80#s up under the bow isn't a lot - I ran two 17# batteries and a battery charger (5#s) up under the bow of mine. All three of my 28s always liked negative trim - whether I was cruising 80-90 or running 120. Too many guys have the wrong impression that positive trim gains them speed - when it's actually just the opposite! Congrats again on such a beautiful 28 that runs as well as it looks!
I'm at 1 7/8" now or a bit less. I run neutral to one bump negative with out ballast, but with the ballast, negative did not respond. I did add a water balancing hose between the motors when Shaw Torrente was at my house because of the sharp turns we have to make on my skinny lake! I'll try some stuff this fall when my wife and I get back form our 25th honeymoon!!! Finally I should have some time to spend some time in my boat. 2 Years and only 28 hours. 240 miles with my wife at LOTO this summer with the extra weight up front made a believer out of he in the rough! Cool weather here we come! Thanks all for your help and input! David
Old 11-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Happy Anniversery and congrats!
Time flies. I lost count how long my wife and i have been together. Started dating in 81.
Now back to important stuff LOL!
If you move the weight forward and get rid of the ballast you can pick up a few more MPH. Maybe add some of them lightweight batteries Dale found also!
I just added the balance tube on my pick ups as well. It is a must.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Happy Anniversery and congrats!
Time flies. I lost count how long my wife and i have been together. Started dating in 81.
Now back to important stuff LOL!
If you move the weight forward and get rid of the ballast you can pick up a few more MPH. Maybe add some of them lightweight batteries Dale found also!
I just added the balance tube on my pick ups as well. It is a must.
Thanks, Ron! My bride mandated a trip to the beach this year for our 25th. I told her that Key West has beaches, but it did't fly! She says KW next year. As we have talked in the past, I may do the "battery switch". Dale, Which Lithium Ion batteries were you referring to? Braille did not have a 1000 CCA LI listed in a Group 24..??
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We use (2) Braille IM34X 11# each, in the race boat!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Registered

Thanks, Ron! My bride mandated a trip to the beach this year for our 25th. I told her that Key West has beaches, but it did't fly! She says KW next year. As we have talked in the past, I may do the "battery switch". Dale, Which Lithium Ion batteries were you referring to? Braille did not have a 1000 CCA LI listed in a Group 24..??
I believe the batteries I got are brand new, as they aren't even shown on the website yet. My friend that owns the Merc Racing Platinum Dealership researched these batteries for me (as well as his bassboat customers with 400Rs and multiple batteries), - the 400Rs need a lot of juice! These were the batteries he found that he said he would fully back my 400R warranties with. The batteries Pete was recommending for the 400Rs weighed 65#s apiece - these are only 17#s each. I know there are a lot of lightweight batteries on the market, but these are the ones the guys covering my warranty recommended. You also have to use an Li-Ion battery charger that's $300, so by the time you're done buying everything, you're $3,000 out of pocket - before battery boxes! I've got Mike Mays researching Group 34 battery boxes for me that aren't specific to the odd shape of the Group 34 Optima batteries. I have a feeling he's going to make a new Group 34 battery box for these batteries.
Attached Thumbnails My new 28 skater-img_0311.jpg   My new 28 skater-img_0312.jpg  
Old 11-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
We use (2) Braille IM34X 11# each, in the race boat!
Ya, but that's not fair Ryan, because you could pull start your motors if you had to! Good luck this weekend!!!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skater30
I believe the batteries I got are brand new, as they aren't even shown on the website yet. My friend that owns the Merc Racing Platinum Dealership researched these batteries for me (as well as his bassboat customers with 400Rs and multiple batteries), - the 400Rs need a lot of juice! These were the batteries he found that he said he would fully back my 400R warranties with. The batteries Pete was recommending for the 400Rs weighed 65#s apiece - these are only 17#s each. I know there are a lot of lightweight batteries on the market, but these are the ones the guys covering my warranty recommended. You also have to use an Li-Ion battery charger that's $300, so by the time you're done buying everything, you're $3,000 out of pocket - before battery boxes! I've got Mike Mays researching Group 34 battery boxes for me that aren't specific to the odd shape of the Group 34 Optima batteries. I have a feeling he's going to make a new Group 34 battery box for these batteries.
I noticed that Braille has an option for marine batteries that are water safe. I remember chemistry class ... mixing lithium with water a real "BLAST". Same with yours?
Old 11-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Registered

I noticed that Braille has an option for marine batteries that are water safe. I remember chemistry class ... mixing lithium with water a real "BLAST". Same with yours?
Yes, the M stands for Marine, 34 is the group size, 26 is the amp hour rating, and I'm not sure about the P......... M3426P
Old 11-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Braille is a couple miles from us and was very helpful. The build batteries for everything and just about every pro form of auto racing uses Braille batteries. Gary Savage is my contact there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.