Outboard skater BS thread! >

Outboard skater BS thread!

Notices

Outboard skater BS thread!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I suppose when you are getting up and running on a padded boat that cable steering is the best
Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
why does he not like triples? I'm sure the third engine is restrictive for the tunnel in some way. David...what did peter say about your build? did he share any thoughts and ideas on getting it dialed in?
The motors LU in the tunnel takes a beating and with the weight savings 375# for 2.5s', I think the twin 300x or 300xs is a smarter choice. I enjoy running in the ruff. 1s' to 2.5' lake chop at 80 is a rush. I don't care anything about going over 100mph in anything smaller than my 25' Talon. I looked at several trip 32 Skaters before buying my Talon and was going to pull the center motor and keep as a spare. Balance is everything with the outboards except when you talk about Davids 36. It dwarfs the 30s' and the 28s' looks like a dingy next to it. My dream boat is the 36 Skater "Critical Lift" with trip 300s'. They took some of the freeboard out of it. My friend has the 36 i/o Skater sister cat. The outboard 36 is in a warehouse somewhere in NJ iirc. A member offered to get in touch with the owner if I was interested. Too much coin, I assumed, for a gubment employee. Anyone have a spare righthand rotation 2.5 lower case the want to sell? I will purchase complete i you only want to sell complete. I destroyed mine hitting debris at 80 a month back.
Great thread! One day I will have a true tunnel outboard! Until then the Talon is no slouch.

Bob
Old 05-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletbob
The motors LU in the tunnel takes a beating and with the weight savings 375# for 2.5s', I think the twin 300x or 300xs is a smarter choice. I enjoy running in the ruff. 1s' to 2.5' lake chop at 80 is a rush. I don't care anything about going over 100mph in anything smaller than my 25' Talon. I looked at several trip 32 Skaters before buying my Talon and was going to pull the center motor and keep as a spare. Balance is everything with the outboards except when you talk about Davids 36. It dwarfs the 30s' and the 28s' looks like a dingy next to it. My dream boat is the 36 Skater "Critical Lift" with trip 300s'. They took some of the freeboard out of it. My friend has the 36 i/o Skater sister cat. The outboard 36 is in a warehouse somewhere in NJ iirc. A member offered to get in touch with the owner if I was interested. Too much coin, I assumed, for a gubment employee. Anyone have a spare righthand rotation 2.5 lower case the want to sell? I will purchase complete i you only want to sell complete. I destroyed mine hitting debris at 80 a month back.
Great thread! One day I will have a true tunnel outboard! Until then the Talon is no slouch.

Bob
That critical lift is a fast hull. I had a chance to look at it extensively one year at key west worlds.
Comparing it to my 36, it looks like it was almost cut in half when it comes to freeboard/frontal profile.
I have the freeze frame vids of the 2001-2003 offshore races in which critical lift was involved in some of the races against my 36 formerly known as snakeman racing. In the rough snakeman seemed to have a edge, but in calmer conditions critical lift was very fast and hard to beat. When that boat was advertised in classifieds I believe the ad stated 120+.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

yep!!! cut down a pretty good bit compared to yours lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523494[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523496[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523497[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Outboard skater BS thread!-critical-lift.jpg   Outboard skater BS thread!-critical-lift-outboard-oic.jpg   Outboard skater BS thread!-36-quad-outboard-transom.jpg  

Attached Images  

Last edited by LAriverratt; 05-16-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523494[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523496[/ATTACH]
That's my wet dream David! I have the videos and was there in KW in 2003. We are closing in on 180 mph in her sister. I hope to try again soon hopefully with Johnny T on the sticks if I can pursuade him. We saw 160+ two years ago and ran out of lake on lake Norman. I will have to check out your cat racing David as I am sure I have the video.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Bob, that sister 36 you're mentioning, is that Garth Tagge's or lightning jacks ?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
Seeing the cable pulley steering reminded me of my earlier boating days when I had a 20 ft Allison River race drag boat with a mariner 2.5 260 SS.
Cable steering is quite common on SINGLE engine race boats. Wheel feedback is optimized and component inspection is easy with much of it exposed.
They also work well in small aircraft for 100+ years. 16' potato chip laser with a hot 260 looked into running dual cables, I prefer hydraulic. Either way if I never again experience running a small v north of 95 regardless of wheel feedback I will remain happy.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
Hey Bob, that sister 36 you're mentioning, is that Garth Tagge's or lightning jacks ?
Roostertails & Cocktails owned by Steve McEachern out of Charlotte NC. Met Garth in his 36 two yrs back at Lake Lanier PR.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lighthouse
Good thread. Weight/COG are everything; rope and pulleys are for sailboats.

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/im...24787854-2.jpg
Cable steering is still used in alot of outboard racing configurations. We have drags this weekend on my lake and there will be several Allisons, Hydrostreams an other hull mfgers running cable steering. As you pointed out. It's easy to service and maintain and most important its lite.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed ,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.