Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Need Help Buying a 32 or 36 - New to Skaters and need advice Please! >

Need Help Buying a 32 or 36 - New to Skaters and need advice Please!

Notices

Need Help Buying a 32 or 36 - New to Skaters and need advice Please!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help Buying a 32 or 36 - New to Skaters and need advice Please!

Hello All!

Looking to join the Skater club and need advice with these two boats and to see if anyone knows the history with them.

The first is a 2004 32B 300x's - I don't know a lot about Skaters, the decks, dash boards, and what to look out for. I spoke to this owner and he bought it 1 year ago as it sits and went through the drives and replaced the gears in them. The engines only have 25hrs on rebuilds. Looks like a great boat, but want some help in understanding this boat. Does anyone know the history of it, where it was re-rigged (the current owner didn't know). I haven't seen many dashboards that look like this, so wondering what year/model it really is? The boat is listed in the Classifieds. I cannot post a link yet, I am new here! Its the one from New York with Tan interior.

I have also seen a couple good 36 Classics for sale at Rockstarboats in Havasu also listed on powerboatlistings, the white 36 classic with quarter cannopies.

Question on the 36. Is this year 36 classic a preferred model? I notice that a lot of the built engines DO NOT have a closed cooling system with heat exchangers. Why is this? Can they be added? I only see closed systems on smaller Merc. platforms going up to the 700SCI. Why is this? Also what type of maintenance am I looking at with these engines/drives?

I will primarily be using this boat in the Ocean here in Socal (Catalina, Dana Point, Long Beach, Newport). Was thinking best to learn on the 32 before jumping to the 36 but the Catalina channel can get rough sometimes. I currently have a 33 Scarab AVS and previously owned a 33 Baja, which both felt safe and handled some crazy ocean conditions.

Thank you for your help on any information regarding these two boats as I'm looking to purchase in the next few weeks!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the 2005 32 Skater dash mold. It looks like a 1990 or 2000 Skaters that I've seen. Was this the dash mold look for the 2005 32's?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The 2004 32 from new York in the classifieds is actually a 32A model. It's a very nice looking boat and with the 300x might do right around 100.

if I were in the market I'd take a look at the white and red 32B with quarter canopies and 400r in the classifieds. The B model 32s do a little better in big water, the canopies would get the wind off your face and the 400r's have many advantages. To me 150 for that boat seems like a great deal.

With almost skater build before 2007 you will want to check if the fuel tanks are good with ethanol.