28 Skater "hop" >

28 Skater "hop"

Notices

28 Skater "hop"

Old 07-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 426 Likes on 180 Posts
Default 28 Skater "hop"

With 2 people up from I get out of the hop in the low 70's. When I add a couple of passengers, I still have it at 85. Would you think that I need to add ballast up front?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 800 Likes on 451 Posts

When it was running on Lake Simcoe that boat had hop (Thought it was the crew running it)

Someone like Double Rigged may be a good person to reach out to for what he was running on his 28 for props/ setback and height for a base comparison. Not volenteering another's knowledge but the gentleman is very detail oriented on what worked on both the 28 and the 30 for set-up vs. props vs.????

If I remember correctly, Orthobam's 28' was re-rigged at TNT and JT, during set-up, was playing with sandbags in front and placement and weight meant a.lot. When Orthobam brought it back to LOTO it was very friendly to run, no hop and ran like it was on rails.

Last edited by speicher lane; 07-25-2019 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Pair (05-23-2021)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=speicher lane;4698639]When it was running on Lake Simcoe that boat had hop (Thought it was the crew running it)

Someone like Double Rigged may be a good person to reach out to for what he was running on his 28 for props/ setback and height for a base comparison. Not volenteering another's knowledge but the gentleman is very detail oriented on what worked on both the 28 and the 30 for set-up vs. props vs.????

If I remember correctly, Orthobam's 28' was re-rigged at TNT and JT, during set-up, was playing with sandbags in front and placement and weight meant a.lot. When Orthobam brought it back to LOTO it was very friendly to run, no hop and ran like it was on rails.[/QUOTE

It probably has to do with weight distribution, I just need to figure it out. Like I say, with 2, we get out of the hop, but with 4 or 5 it still has some hop at 85/90. I think that BAM put a 60 pound weight in the front of each sponson. One of the reasons that I added the hatch in front of the windshield was so that I could play with weight, if needed. It would suck to climb under the dash!

Last edited by 36Tango; 07-25-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What props are you running? My five blade dewalds are night and day better than the the four blade hering cleavers that came with the boat.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cowisl
What props are you running? My five blade dewalds are night and day better than the the four blade hering cleavers that came with the boat.
I have 300x’s with 4 blade cleavers. What pitch Dewalds do you run?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts

I like mounting the batteries up in the sponsoms in front of the dash bulkhead by glassing in a board across bottom of sponsom
this keeps boat weight the same as moving weight from transom to front
and keeps batteries elevated a tad above the sponsom pad to allow sponsom not to have sandbags on it to pound on sponsom
a 24 series agm battery with battery mount is approx. the same 60 lbs pr side as the sand bag average weight to add to front end
Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The advise to contact Double Rigged is good advise. He was great help to me when I first got my 28. There are many variables to consider with your set-up.
1. X dimension
2. Set back
3. Prop selection - pitch, rake, number of blades, style to name a few.
4. Amount of fuel onboard.
5. oil tank and battery locations.
6. Weight of the hamburger eaters in the rear seats.
7. Trim angle.
8. Spinning in or out.

In my opinion, your hop should start about 45 MPH and end about 75 MPH. I only add ballast when I am in very rough water such a LOTO on Shootout weekend and that is only 70# total. It just makes the flying flatter. Not really a hop improver.

I have spent the last several years figuring out all that stuff on my Skater. Feel free to contact me, if you desire. I would be happy to lend a hand if I can.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango

I have 300x’s with 4 blade cleavers. What pitch Dewalds do you run?
14.75x32 five blades. 5.5" setbacks. Still playing with engine height. Minimal hop.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cowisl
14.75x32 five blades. 5.5" setbacks. Still playing with engine height. Minimal hop.

Anybody have a pair?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Taboma
The advise to contact Double Rigged is good advise. He was great help to me when I first got my 28. There are many variables to consider with your set-up.
1. X dimension
2. Set back
3. Prop selection - pitch, rake, number of blades, style to name a few.
4. Amount of fuel onboard.
5. oil tank and battery locations.
6. Weight of the hamburger eaters in the rear seats.
7. Trim angle.
8. Spinning in or out.
In my opinion, your hop should start about 45 MPH and end about 75 MPH. I only add ballast when I am in very rough water such a LOTO on Shootout weekend and that is only 70# total. It just makes the flying flatter. Not really a hop improver.
I have spent the last several years figuring out all that stuff on my Skater. Feel free to contact me, if you desire. I would be happy to lend a hand if I can.
I think that it is definitely a weight distribution problem. The oil tanks and 3 batteries are behind the back seat, add in 4 or 500 pounds of rear passengers it can become pretty tail heavy.
I had mentioned earlier that I had 4 blade cleavers, but they are actually 3 blade 14 1/2 X 32's
Others have said the exact same thing about the speed "slot" of the hop. I would be happy with that.