A/C install >

A/C install

Notices

A/C install

Old 06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C install

Does anyone have A/C installed in thier Sonic ? I bought a 7k unit to put in my 96 35ss. Called the factory and they said that they mounted them under the V-Berth.....and thats all i could get out of them. They also did tell me that they mounted the unit aft of the head (under the dash) in the newer models (must have made more room in that area in these boats).

Does anyone have any pics of thier A/C unit install under the v-berth? It is a fiberglass shell up there with no access to the bottom of it. I would think i would need to re-inforce that area before i install it. Also where is the pump mounted, where are the thru-hull fittings for pickup/discharge, and where is the return vent and air vent(s)??

Thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: A/C install

HP, if you search on air conditioning in this forum, there are a couple of threads that talks about locations, might help you out...... one guy did the install behind the head.... Good luck!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

HP,
I did the install of mine in the cabinet that's in the head, directly under the drivers dash. This is where Sonic currently mounts them. It's tight but it will fit there. As far as the pump - that was mounted in the engine compartment along with the filter and water pickup. There's a pad in the engine compartment under the front of the starboard motor (towards the center) where you can mount the pickup and shutoff valve. It's a pretty simple install just takes some time. Let me know if you have any questions or need any pics of it and I'll try to get some for you. You can't beat AC when its this hot!!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tips Splash.

Problem i have is that in the older models they don't have the cabinet under the dash in the head. Also, they didn't put any pads in the bilge to mount the pump either....and i have sea strainers attached to the center stringer in that area where i think you are saying they now put a pad. i'll have to look in the bilge to see what i can come up with.

heres a pic of the head with only the upper access door to the dash.
Attached Thumbnails A/C install-more96s-002.jpg  
Old 06-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Registered

I have a 42 with a/c under V berth. Compartment has hinged top that conceals the unit with cold air intake near the cabin floor. Discharge is on port side well above water line using a small thru hull fitting. Intake is between engines using a heavy bronze thru hull with strainer etc. Cooling pump is plumbed into that strainer housing and reinforced hose runs all the way to the unit in front.
When winterizing works best to use air compressor to completely drain that line. Inciidentally the control wiring for unit is mounted to underside of that V-berth hatch, makes it quite heavy to hold up when working on unit. Not the best solution in my view.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Registered

Cool, thanks for the advise !!

Couple other questions....

What side of the boat did they run the water hose from the engine comp. fitting to the unit? Is it visible from under the cabin seats or did they put it under the floor? Same question about the wiring from the unit back to the breaker...can you see that if you lift a seat or is it underneath some type of subfloor below the seat?

How about the A/C unit pan drainage? how did they plumb that?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 990 Likes on 502 Posts

Just an FYI.....depending on what AC unit you have you may have one of my cooling pumps for it (Made by March Mfg) these are not self priming and you will need to mount the pump BELOW the water line for it to work properly..... We have gotten numerous pumps back due to the pumps impellor shaft supports burning out due to dry running....it will run for extended periods of time dry without problems but the plastic houseings can only take soo much before damage occurs...just to let ya know

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the older Sonics had the A/C unit mounted under the refrig on the starboard side. The pump were usually mounted in frt of the port engine with the seacock mounted nearby. Plumbing the lines are an interesting adventure to say the least. Some add on A/ C units had the pump mounted under the steps into the cabin. Not sure of your cabin set up so I hope this helps some.

PM or call me if I can be of any assistance

Bill

Last edited by 45sonic; 06-30-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Registered

Just make sure you put a strainer in line with the pickup hose prior to the pump. Made the mistake one time of leaving the A/C on while a the dock & left the boat for some time. The intake sucked up something, plugged the seat strainer & the pump eventually burned up & tripped the breaker while I was gone.....it was a hot weekend that weekend I tell ya and no fun

After that, if I was away from/not on the boat, I made sure I was in sight of the discharge port all the time so I could make sure there was a constant flow of water out of it.

Last edited by Gofastboater45; 07-01-2005 at 08:40 AM.