questions on a 42 sonic >

questions on a 42 sonic

Notices

questions on a 42 sonic

Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile questions on a 42 sonic

We are looking at a 96-98 42 ft sonic. The boat has 500hps with bravo 1's. Would like any plus or minus on the boats. This will be my first sonic so all and any help would be great. We cruise at 50 mph and was wondering what rpm the engines would be turning.

Thanks in advance
Terry
Old 01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Registered

Default Re: questions on a 42 sonic

I had a 2000 42 with 500 efi's loaded with every opp but the arch. I would cruise from 3500-4500 rpm 50-60 mph or about there.The best I ever saw on gps with my stuff in it was 74 in salt water, on the sea trial with the dealers GPS it went I think 76 but was empty and I'm not sure how good the GPS was. It had 24 bravo ones on it. I loved the boat 4 years and never had a problem that keep me on or off the water.
I still have a full cover to the keel that is like new and a set of 24's if you buy it and need any thing let me know.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 544 Posts

Terry, I got your email.

I only started learning about Sonic since I bought my 1999. I can't tell you much about the earlier years, except that they are solid, and there are a LOT of them still running around after some redone engines. Lapse did have a nice Sonic that he traded to www.Fastboats.com, but it appears to have been sold. I assume you are eyeing the one at www.Offshore-Performance.com . I don't know that boat at all if so, but I do know the folks at OP are top notch.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered

Bryan that is the one I am looking at. I hope to go look at it this weekend. Thanks for all your and lapse those rpms are what I was hoping for.

Terry
Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Registered

Hey Terry,

I own a 1999 Sonic 42, the boat has been great. Offshore Performance has done the normal maint and it has run perfect. I cant say enough about the boat, I took it to Florida last year and ran to the Keys and in some rough water and it rode beatifully...give me a call if you want to talk...I will be more than happy to share my experience in the 42...

Jimi
301-646-4034
Old 01-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've had three of them....1988, 1995, and 1997. Would buy another one.... (at least I would, not sure about Bill)

We would have to get rid of the Fountain first....
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 238 Likes on 91 Posts

Check the thread in this section called "Who's your daddy"......this is the boat the 42 came from...should help answer some of your questions.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

Yes I would buy another one. If anyone needs to know about the 42's I got a crash course on them. I run at 50-52 mph @ 3500 rpm's. It has 525's with ITS XR drives. One thing I noticed on all the used Sonic's I looked at was stress cracks in or around some of the bracing in the cabin. Look in the cabinet under the console and in the area behind the dash. Most were just the glass pulling loose from the extra bracing. Guess the hull flex's a little causing it to pull loose. Not a major structural item though but scary looking. Also around the top deck hatches there seems to be an area where stress cracks develop. These are mostly cosmetic but look bad. Mine has cracks around the hatches but being fixed now by Sonic. They have fixed the problem now I heard. Now some of these can be gelcoat cracks also where it was put on to thick. So just look real close at everything first make notes then hire a surveyor and see if he finds the same things you found. Be surprised how many times you find things they don't. Sonic went through some bad times but now I think there doing a great job. With Sonic you get a lot of boat for the money. Buy it you want be sorry.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Terry

I would look very closely at the motors. We have a 1997 42ss and have enjoyed it. This has been the best boat that i have ever owned she is loaded with genset and air. We cruise 40-50 at about 3800rpms.Its nice not to have to worry about going out in rough water. We have the 500hp motors that were completely rebuilt at 350 hours .We have put her up for sale, looking at buying another Sonic.She also going to have a new paint scheme in the next month.
Good luck in your quest.

David
Attached Thumbnails questions on a 42 sonic-pdrm1386.jpg  

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 01-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Registered

Looks like my old 42 just poped up in the classifeids, he only put 35 hours on it. I know it's a good boat.

Quick Reply: questions on a 42 sonic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.