Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
31 Sonic specs (trailer and weight) >

31 Sonic specs (trailer and weight)

Notices

31 Sonic specs (trailer and weight)

Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31 Sonic specs (trailer and weight)

How much does a 2000 31 Sonic with twin 502's weigh wet?

Also, I am looking to purcahse a NEW trailer (aluminum, torsion, led lights, spare, but a tandem vice triple. Trailer will have 5200lb axles they say and 16 inch wheels). Should that do the job? I really do not want a triple....any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 31 Sonic specs (trailer and weight)

triple is better but tandem will work. Just make sure brakes are on both axles. Who makes the trailer??
Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

It is Extreme trailers out of Miami...Hugh told me they are the company that makes them for Sonic now vice Rocket.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered

I have my 31 on a performance triple and a friend has his 31 on a myco tandem ... I can honestly say his myco tandem is way better than my performance triple...I have my 386 on a myco triple w/electric hydraulic brakes and need it for the weight of the boat...u will be fine w/the tandem as long as what he said,"brakes on both axles"and a quality trailer(I know nothing on the brand u mentioned) ...the weight of the boat is 7500#...they have all the specs u need on the sonic website.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I would only buy a Myco,Manning, or Eagle. In that order.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered

A tandem with suitably heavy-duty axles/16"wheels will work well on that size boat. It'll maneuver alot better in tight situations, the tires can be higher quality, and you won't flat-spot them from dragging them sideways. We put tandems under all the Cig Mystiques(same size boat) we sold and they were just fine.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

I'd go with a triple axle trailer given the choice, no question.

You have a lot more tire under the trailer in case of a bad situation. With a tandem axle, if you loose a tire or wheel at speed, you immediately have a weight transfer to/from your tow vehicle. (Lose a front tire, more weight on trailer tongue, front wheels of truck get loose. Lose a rear tire, rear of truck lifts a bit.)

With a triple axle trailer, if you lose a wheel/tire/hub, you can just chain it up, and keep going. With a tandem, you are stuck right there, fixing your problem. (Not cool in busy traffic/inclement weather situation.)

With a tandem, you can have (disc preferred) brakes on two axles, and one free rolling axle that will never lock up.

And last, when you are ascending or descending a ramp, at the crest, all of your weight is loaded on the front axle, briefly. This eventually wears out the suspension on the front axle. With a triple axle trailer, you still have two good axles, which will let that third axle relax its suspension a bit, without having to do a major axle overhaul.

You can't have too much trailer; and you definitely want E-Load Rated Radial tires. Many manufacturers are using LT truck tires now, and some still use Goodyear Marathon tires. You don't want Carlisle trailer tires.

Remember, you need to spec the weight capacity of your trailer for a FULL load: Boat, Fuel, Coolers, Tools, Gear, Stereo, Anchors, Fresh water tank full, holding tank full, etc. At a VERY minimum you would want three axles rated at 3500 lbs. each. This makes your total trailer weight rating at 10,500 lbs. Subtract 2000 lbs. (conservative estimate) for the trailer itself, and you are left with 8500 lbs. of boat you can carry on the trailer.

The 31 Sonic weighs 8200 lbs. full of fuel and fresh water, before you add all the other crap I mention above. Then you have to account for a tool box if equipped, spare tire, tie-downs, etc. It adds up fast. My 26' Sonic was spec'd at 5050 lbs. dry. Full load on the tandem axle trailer, weighed on a truck scale was 7300 lbs.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-09-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered

Myco needs you in their engineering dept.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
Myco needs you in their engineering dept.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

i have a 31 with a manning trailor triple axle. it hulls the boat great it also looks awesome
Attached Thumbnails 31 Sonic specs (trailer and weight)-pdr_0089.jpg  

Quick Reply: 31 Sonic specs (trailer and weight)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.