Slimline pull-up cleats

Notices

Slimline pull-up cleats

Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Slimline pull-up cleats

Has anyone switched from the standard fixed cleat to the slimline pull-up cleats, If so did you go with the 6" or 8" cleat?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine out to the 6" size. I had to make adapter plates to cover the old holes. They turned out great. It was nice to get rid of the old style that held water all the time.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim they have had some problems with sonic's leaking because of the roughed up walk around not sealing with a hole having to be cut to accommodate the cleat. People have used huge amounts of silicone to help keep the water out. I'm thinking about two in the back where it is flat.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Thats what I kind of figured, Thanks Jimmy
Old 03-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Registered

anyone have pics of this done..... I have the recessed type that hold water and have thought about this myself.....
Attached Thumbnails Slimline pull-up cleats-cleat-pic......jpg  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45SS
Jim they have had some problems with sonic's leaking because of the roughed up walk around not sealing with a hole having to be cut to accommodate the cleat. People have used huge amounts of silicone to help keep the water out. I'm thinking about two in the back where it is flat.
Leak City! From day one on my 04' pop up's, they leak from the down tube's on the underside of the cleat..... What a pain having to dry out under my v berth pad. One of the worst lack of attention to details Sonic has made. There is a cheesey little sticker covering the hole in the down tube and when the sticker fails to stick any longer, water just drips right through it. Come on Sonic!!! A sticker?!?!? Sould be drain tubes on them or something! I have had to try and wrap watertight tape around it....what a pain trying to seal this up reaching your arms through the speaker holes to seal something that shouldn't need to be messed with on a brand new boat. Also under the bow nav light, water gets through there too and two spots where the factory screwed the boat together at gunwhale at the bow, was not sealed at the screw holes, and water just drips through there too. Yup had to seal that too..... I guess I gotta go in behind the v berth mirror again this spring to make sure she is water tight.
Anyone else with similar problems?

Pete
Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered

Pete exactly why Richard Hewit no longer has anything to do with Sonic,(alot of his bright ideas failed) and Jay never used them, he new better.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Z06
Registered

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
anyone have pics of this done..... I have the recessed type that hold water and have thought about this myself.....

Johnny, keep a turkey baster on board to suck out the water, works well and you don't ever need to worry about these hidden cleats ever leaking water.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by 26sonicmotion
Leak City! From day one on my 04' pop up's, they leak from the down tube's on the underside of the cleat..... What a pain having to dry out under my v berth pad. One of the worst lack of attention to details Sonic has made. There is a cheesey little sticker covering the hole in the down tube and when the sticker fails to stick any longer, water just drips right through it. Come on Sonic!!! A sticker?!?!? Sould be drain tubes on them or something! I have had to try and wrap watertight tape around it....what a pain trying to seal this up reaching your arms through the speaker holes to seal something that shouldn't need to be messed with on a brand new boat. Also under the bow nav light, water gets through there too and two spots where the factory screwed the boat together at gunwhale at the bow, was not sealed at the screw holes, and water just drips through there too. Yup had to seal that too..... I guess I gotta go in behind the v berth mirror again this spring to make sure she is water tight.
Anyone else with similar problems?

Pete
Oh yeah, been there. My '99 Prowler's navigation light base was cracked and filled that little void in behind the mirror/speakers with water. I had to seal up everything with clear RTV, and I eventually drilled a little hole at the base of the mirror so any moisture would leak out; and I would be able to notice it. I too had a very wet V-berth pad. I removed the foam and encased it in plastic so this would never happen again.

Ask Bill/45Sonic how many times he has dealt with this.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Z06
Johnny, keep a turkey baster on board to suck out the water, works well and you don't ever need to worry about these hidden cleats ever leaking water.
good idea.......thanks.....