Sonic Battery connection???

Notices

Sonic Battery connection???

Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonic Battery connection???

I don't know if it is a new issue but I just realized that with both of my battery switches in the off position I still have power to my ignition, trim and tabs. I have a 2004 Sonic 358 with twin merc 525's and two new Interstate batteries. I can't imagine that this would be set up like this from the factory or if something has happened and I am just realizing it. I pulled both battery switches and in the off position on both I have 12.5v on the posts behind selection 1 and 2 and nothing on the top post behind both. I don't know if there is a ground problem but everything on the boat are working fine and boat runs great. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my response in technical
Old 07-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smitty1035
I don't know if it is a new issue but I just realized that with both of my battery switches in the off position I still have power to my ignition, trim and tabs. I have a 2004 Sonic 358 with twin merc 525's and two new Interstate batteries. I can't imagine that this would be set up like this from the factory or if something has happened and I am just realizing it. I pulled both battery switches and in the off position on both I have 12.5v on the posts behind selection 1 and 2 and nothing on the top post behind both. I don't know if there is a ground problem but everything on the boat are working fine and boat runs great. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Scott,
Are the two breakers adjacent to the battery switches switched down/off?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
Scott,
Are the two breakers adjacent to the battery switches switched down/off?
Hey Hugh...with the batt switches and breaker switches off I still have power to ignition and drive/tabs. I called down to the factory and spoke with Bruce last week. He said that the boat came from the factory that way because they had owners requesting to have the ability to run there drives and tabs up/down without getting on the boat and turning on the batt switches. He also said that they no longer do that with the newer models.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Registered

The reason every boat I have ever seen is wired like that is the trim/tab pumps pull a lot of amps and are usually wired directly to the batterys. I'm not sure why the ignition switch is always on.