Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
How Fast & How Much Power ??????? >

How Fast & How Much Power ???????

Notices

How Fast & How Much Power ???????

Old 10-12-2002, 09:47 AM
TeamSonic42

Default How Fast & How Much Power ???????

Was curious as to the average WOT speed on 42's with 500's , Bravos w/4 blades ?

Would like to compare speeds & fuel consumption.

Also who has seen/heard of a Sonic with BIG power ? What was it ( Size ), what engines & how fast ? Possibly considering powering up my 42', but was curious as to if it would beneficial to do so on a Sonic Hull, how much can she handel without getting a bad/dangerious ride ?

I saw a 94 42' with tripples for sale, but didnt realize that 42's would or could be ordered with tripples ! Also once saw a 95 45' for sale with tripple 572 CID N/A pwr from ctrl/mid west area.

I love my Sonic, but would like to go faster as everyone does, but is it economically smart to do so on a Sonic Hull, and also what is the max power that would be beneficial without going overkill. Reliability is Key/most important, so N/A pwr would probably be better, possibly a 250 blower from Holley or the Blower Shop ? I realize that drives would have to be changed to handel the increased power. Considered B-Max, but have heard more bad than good from local guys who have them.

Just looking for impute from my Sonic Brothers/Sisters...... Thanks.

Old 10-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had a 42 to compare with you! I wouldn't be afraid to power up your hull though. The 31 doesn't fully come into its own until 70+. I've been 90 in a 31 and could have set a drink on the dash, perfectly stable. I will soon be tweaking my 454's to hopefully see 80-82mph. I running dyno simulations now to decide how to go about it.

As for your power, if $$ isn't the main factor, I would recommend big inch, NA motors. I've had experience with 600 inch, 650- to 750hp motors from PRI, Cobra, and Pflaff. All were incredible torque monsters with good manners. None were in Sonics though. B-max is probably the strongest shiftable drive if set up right, and I've heard good things of Imco and Dick Simon bravo upgrades. I also recently read about a set up that used a non-shiftable drive( strong, think trs) and a trans in an extension box so you don't have to move your engines, plus you gain the extra set back. The trans also provides a low gear for docking at low speed without loading up your motors or idling too fast with big props.
Oh yeah, you can get triples in the 38,42,and45.

So go ahead and pour on the power, I wouldn't hesitate to take my boat into the triple digits (if my wallet would allow) and yours being bigger should be even more stable.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Byron

I've owned two 42' Sonics. The one with 500s would run 68mph every day.

Old 10-13-2002, 09:59 AM
TeamSonic42

Hey guys, Thanks for your impute. I love my 42 & dont think I would trade it for anything ! I have considered big CI N/A motors, however cost is pretty high, due to high dollar/exotic parts. So if it breaks, lots, & lots, & lots of $$$$$$ to fix it.

Thats why I was considering putting some 250 blowers on them from either Holley or the Blower shop. I have been told from several sources that it is a direct bolt on to HP500's using same cam profile etc, and power increases 250hp or so.

I would like to run in the mid to high 80's, which I think is easily obtainable using the 250 blowers. Although the valve seats need to be changed to take the heat from the blowers, as the GM seats wont hold up. And the reliablity is pretty good.
Several guys my out way have done this with great success.

If you figure that a 42' with 575's & boxes runs 77-80, 500's with 250's should easily run in the 80's with no boxes..... For the $10k plus or so for the boxes, you can add some HP increases in the engines.

Hopefully the Bravos will hold up to the added power as long as you take it easy comming on plane & are not " Firewalling " the throttles out the hole. However, some Imco or the likes thereof internal upgrades to the drives should handel the power and let the drives live for a long time. Just need to figure out the right props to go to, as the 24's currently used will not benefit from the power increase. Currently have Hydromotive 15x24 4 blades & THEY SUCK ! Consistently blow out trying to get on plane..... Might work good on someones boat, but not my Sonic. looking for a new set of props, probably Bravos.

BTW, a 31 doing 90 is AWESOME ! As an added note, the guys at my local Sonic dealer here have Cobra motors in their Cigs, as they are a dealer for them also, have had nothing but trbl with their Cobra motors. Under 10 hrs of use on big CI blower motors, 1000-1200hp motors, both have had to be sent back to Cobra. Cracked heads, dropped valves, major oil leaks etc. Thay have some 572 750 N/A motors in the show room.....asking price was in the $40k ea range initially, but now askin $23-24k ea !

Like I said just looking for impute right now, as the upgrade would be a nice winter project. Would like as much impute as possible... again thanks guys !

Old 10-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Registered

Just purchased a 42 from your local Sonic dealer. It is a 2001 and would love to hook up an do some cruising with you. Took the boat out for the first time yesterday and all I can saw is WOW.........I do not have much to contribute to your request for info but would like to know what you find as I suspect I will want to upgrade in the near future. I have 500's also.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:32 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that their is a 42 for sale on www.traderonline.com with Pro Chargers or something on 500 HP's. Maybe you could call the person and get some info.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was a 42 in Travercity Michigan with 500's with the big Pro Chargers and intercoolers that ran 90+, Scooter here on the board Knows the guy he could get you his #......the boat was sold last summer and went south....
Old 10-14-2002, 05:23 PM
TeamSonic42

Thanks for your impute.... Would love to hook-up & Run around with another Sonic Brother. Let me know when, & we'll see what can be arranged. I run till it gets ice in the ground ! What is your top end ?
I assume you have EFI's. The boat you got would'nt be yellow would it ? If so I know it !

Thanks for the impute on the 42 w/big procharges.
Would love to find out more info.... Most guys say you cant get a big Sonic to go that fast unless Big CI N/A or Blower motors 1000HP or so.

On the for sale board is a real nice 41 with 572's & #3 drives. That recently sold or is selling... check it out ! Major dollars on re-rig !!!!!

Old 10-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Registered

Team,
Dont know what the top speed is yet. I have only run the boat once so far but plan on taking a long trip this weekend. The boat does have 500EFI's(twin) and I expect low 70's. Kinda curious about what you can tell me about the boat, just general information, etc. Boat is at Redeyes right now and thinking about a run up to DC this weekend to really get a feel for it. The boat is purple and yellow, 2001 model and has been on a lift at Redeyes since at least last year. We usually run until cold also and expect to go into December if weather permits. Hopefully this year will be like the last few with some sweet days in November. Hope to see you out.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

robclark;
I boat out of Leesylvania State Park in Woodbridge. If you are going to run the upper Potomac, stick to the channel.; and especially stay under the openning span of the WW Bridge. Also, watch out for the idiot boaters up there. They race for open spots on the dock, and I was hit twice in 30 minutes last time i was there. I am not sure if you have run those waters before. I may be out this weekend. 26' Sonic Prowler.
Congrats & Welcome!! Are you going to the boat show? Several people are going on Thursday from OSO.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-15-2002 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: How Fast & How Much Power ???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.