Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Sonic,s 28SS Pro,s and Con,s >

Sonic,s 28SS Pro,s and Con,s

Notices

Sonic,s 28SS Pro,s and Con,s

Old 11-06-2002, 11:45 AM
surfacetension

Default Sonic,s 28SS Pro,s and Con,s

I keep coming across 28SS boats most have twins some singles . The prices seem good , maybe too good what,s the deal with this model . Sonic stopped building them and I keep seeing boats for sale that people really want OUT of?
Would this be a good ride for me I trailer everywhere and I,m not a speed freak , I have found 28,s as cheap or cheaper than 26 prowlers

Old 11-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basicly the cabin is about the same as a 26 and the ride isn't as good as a 31, so it doesn't really have a home. I don't think there are any faults with the boat though, just most people go bigger or smaller.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's about it...the Sonic 28 isn't the only one like that (ie Donzi/Baja/Fountain) it's that tough size between single/twin and SBC/BBC kinda power. The 28 w/twin SBC's was a great all around boat (ya' gotta love the fuel economy with the 350MAG's) you just are not gonna burn up the water.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 552 Posts

I have never ridden on a 28SS, but again, they just really do not have a home. This is why they stopped making them I think The cabin is so close to the 26, and the cockpit is just a hair bigger as well. You really can hardly tell the difference b/t a 26 and a 28 on the water unless the 28 has twins. If you can find a good deal on one, take it; however, if you have to take one that is twins, I would pass, as you are looking at double maintenance, and more fuel. In boats of this dilemna to go with one BB or two SB, you really do not loose much going with the single BB, especially if you want to SC it one day.

I think it was a logical step if you moved your way up in Sonics this way:
22, 28, 30+
or, a lot of folks go with:
26, 31, 35/38+.

I would take a hard look at that Prowler at OP with the SC on it already, and add Hydraulic Steering.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:15 PM
surfacetension

The prochager scares me, I want NO hassles, I going to wait on the side for now for a deal

Old 11-07-2002, 02:14 PM
CelticPride

Surface, looking at other posts you have made...it seems like you want to go boating but don't want any of the headaches that naturally come with the hobby.

GOODLUCK!!!

Old 11-07-2002, 03:58 PM
surfacetension

I have been boating for 23 years In everything from a checkmate to an 80 mph Hydrostream, Also race DIRT modifieds and A 33 Willys funny car so I know enough about High performance , My boating in my way of relaxing and I will not chase that never ending 1 more MPH " there is ALWAYS someone who is faster" and they don,t pay anything when you win some boat race that nobody see,s
60 to 70 MPH is fine with me just let it start and run all day long and let the beers be chilled to perfection. I will choose my battles, and fighting it out with some boat is not my Choice for a nice Sunday, Be safe and be careful