Bigger Tabs on a 260 prowler >

Bigger Tabs on a 260 prowler

Notices

Bigger Tabs on a 260 prowler

Old 07-20-2021, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Bigger Tabs on a 260 prowler

I posted this question in my headliner post. But figured I would get a better response in a new post. As we all know, these hulls like to porpoise in calm water at slower speeds. I installed a max machine works cavitation plate, after reading about them installed on a Cigarette. It helped a little bit, but not really worth it. Not on this boat anyway. I spend 95% of my time at 3200-3600 rpms. And to not porpoise, the drive has to be tucked or only 3 ticks up. The tabs have to be below parallel, port slightly lower. I'd like to be able to run tabs parallel and drive slightly up when cruising. I have 12x12 bennett sport tabs now. Wondered if its worth going to the 16. Or maybe a 280 or even a 380 size tab. Has anybody put bigger tabs on this hull?
Old 07-20-2021, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 353 Likes on 193 Posts

You may want to consider Dana 1000 tabs. At 24 inches they are between the 280 and 380 tabs. I have them on Mr 29 Velocity VR 1. Work well.

https://www.marineindustrieswest.com...s-HPSeries.htm

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 07-20-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

I put the Bennett ST-16 tabs on my 1999 260 Sonic Prowler with an HP500EFI. And I liked the improvement. It was noticeable. It's a very simple upgrade.

The only issue is the hydraulic system of the Bennett's is not really designed for the pounding these boats take.
I had one pretty rough landing diagonally crossing a roller from a larger boat wake on the Potomac River (not offshore), and one of the ST-16s took a lot of the load from the landing. It ended up blowing apart the ferrule nut/line for that side of the compression fitting, in the bilge, at the pump side...
...and literally splatter painted the ENTIRE engine compartment with pink ATF fluid. There was no damage other than just fixing the line and cleaning up the mess. Just be aware of their vulnerable spots.

I would say if you have the appetite to install 280 K-planes, that's a better route to go, especially if you see a lot of snotty/"sporty" water.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I am looking hard at the Danas. Couldn't decide 900 or 1000. I'll have to measure to see if the 1000's are too long to use the boarding ladder. We hang out at the beach alot, and use the ladder alot. Plus, I'm wondering if the Danas will cover all the holes from the Bennetts. Thanks for the fast responses guys! I got to stop thinking of ways to spend money!
Old 07-21-2021, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 353 Likes on 193 Posts

If you go to the home page of the website I posted there is a Instruction tab. You can select the the product and download individual instructions. There are drawings included.

Padraig
The following users liked this post:
SB (07-21-2021)