The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project !!

Notices

The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project !!

Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The "Too Old's Sonic" Project !!

Congrats! I am still waiting for your book, "how to rerig boats" with particular attention to rewiring the Sonic. <gg>

Thanks for sharing the photos of your excellent work on that boat!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think that no one believed I would ever finish this project. The biggest hang up was the paint shop (isn't it always?) Thanks a lot for the "praise". Frankly, I was amazed that after all that rewiring everything worked. How many connections is that when you do a complete rewire, add breakers for everything & put plugs in on the dash to make it removable? Several hundred I would guess.. the first time!! No faults, except for a defective engine sensor. You may have to wait for the book.... the wife sez I can now start on her projects!! Guess who gets priority??? " If she ain't happy, nobodies happy!!"

We took it out today and ran it for maybe two hours and it was flawless in performance. Good ride too, even though the water was pretty rough. I am a very happyt "camper"!!

Thanks again-George..... Does this mean I have to change my screen name??
Old 08-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Registered

I know you're glad it finally got "wet"! It's a fine looking boat, good or better than new.
Hope your wife lets you take some time off from "her" projects to let you run it!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blown formula, I've been wondering lately where you've been, glad you're on the water finally! I'll be the first to ask, what kind of speed numbers (if your switching gear ratios you must be moving)? Steve
Old 08-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Registered

Hi there Kathycool. I definetly remember my non-stop trip to see you. It has been awhile, don't I know. I know you thought this was a figment of my imagination, but it is real!! You were an important part of the engine parts for sure.....
I changed gear ratios due to the fact I could not get above 3400 RPM with the 1.36 gears. I have now changed the gear sets and will install the drives wed night.... unfortunately, other things call. I am unable to quote any numbers yet as I "forgot" to install my GPS antennae!! However, it "felt" like about 50 or so @ 3000. The GPS is working now.......
now just a few more hours work & I will hit the water again!
Wish me luck!!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Very Cool!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Any updates? What was your speed?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered

Angry Re: The "Too Old's Sonic" Project !!

Yes.... the terrible update.
All summer it seemed the engines just did not make the power they should. So, I pulled one engine to go to the dyno.... they said the carbs are too big for the cu. inch- (468). So, I bought new intakes, new carbs (950 cfm) & proceeded to pull the intakes to replace them. What I found was disheartening at best. Three valve guides had fallen out of the head. So, I pulled the heads & found the engine has been leaking water into the cylinders.???? So I went to engine #two, pulled the intake & guess what? The same deal again with the guides. So, now I send the heads into Boyd's Machine in OKC (the dyno place) to get the guides fixed. They tell me the previous shop had bored the guides into the water jackets & the water was from leaking around the guides. Magnifluxed & tested the heads again and found minor cracks. So now I am replacing heads with Brodix aluminum heads. A complete tear down showed the cranks, rods & pins had also been screwed up @ the previous shop..... so now everything has been fixed & ready for reassembly. The heads came in last friday.... Then the ice storm hit Oklahoma & no water or electricity since last friday evening..... gee- life is fun!! So now we wait for lights to be able to work. When we do the next dyno runs I will post then here. The last run did show 586hp@5600rpm. Not bad, but not where it should be. Look for another update in two to three weeks.....can't wait!!

Last edited by blown formula; 01-16-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

That sucks, good luck with round 2.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

Yeh, thanks. It is suprising that a supposedly "reputable shop"- aka Bob's Machine in Hulbert, Oklahoma (they have built hundreds of race motors, recommended by many racers.... from where I stand, they are no longer reputable. We had a total of 6 motors machined there & 4 of the 6 have died horrible deaths shortly after starting..... of course- no warranties on "Hot Rod" engines!!
$8k in parts & machine work, all the machine work is now duplicated...everything done again!! Only reused the cranks (after polishing), rods (after resizing them again- 3 were not in specs), refitted the pins (one was installed crooked & had to be oversized), cleaned the pistons & machined .050 additional valve clearance, new rings & bearings, reused the cams, lifter & rockers. Replaced all valves, springs & keepers (Inconel valves), using the new MLS head gaskets. All in all... another $7500 in parts & machine work..... oh yeh, and this AFTER I ordered my new McLeod bolsters!!! Another $5500!!
Man o'man... an expensive winter!! But next summer, it should be a rocket compared to a stocker.!!

Quick Reply: The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.