Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project  !! >

The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project !!

Notices

The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project !!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:39 PM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by CBR
Oh yeah, hurry up and dial it in as I am still waiting for completion of your next project......your book on boat electrical rerigging!
No kidding!

Man, he is good. I actually copied the pictures so if I ever have to do this I have a benchmark on how to do it correctly.

Simply an amazing project.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(cool) & slightly embarrassed!! Thanks for the kudo's my friends. I don't know that I deserve them. It has been rewarding & at the same time extremely frustrating!! Now the payoff starts. Last weekend in rough water & wind, my wife said it rides better than my 312 Formula!! Now that is a benchmark to be recognized I think..... I know just because of the engines the Sonic is more fun to drive!! It is also rewarding when people come up to me on the beach to talk about it...... the looks from them are great!! One thing is for sure.... there is not another one even similar anywhere. It would be impossible for anyone to steal & sell like many other pricey boats. Too recognizable.
Thanks again guys, I appreciate it. It has been a learning experience all around......
& here is a picture of the McLeod bolsters in the Sonic.... NICE!! &&& comfy!
Attached Thumbnails The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project  !!-cimg0034.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWESOME PROJECT!!!! You did a great job on the whole thing!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered

Thanks alot , MSTG72... I enjoy the boat more everytime we take her out...... now those critics (local to here) are eating their words about never getting it done. It is the most distinctive boat on the lake now..... no matter their price.
Thanks again, it's appreciated!!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

Excellent job! You may want to start your second career. I have to ask (not being synical or trying to start anything) why did you decide to buy a 31 Sonic when you already have a 31 Formula? Just curious, I really like both brands. I've been looking FOREVER and have vascilated between Sonic, Formula, and A.T. If I ever sell my old house I plan on buying a one of these brands in the 30-35 range. I love the Sonic toughness/ride (from what I hear) and cabin layout but I've been on a few Formulas and really love the interior and "solid" feel.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for the kind words..... The answer to your question are many & varied. My wife says I did it because I never "bonded with the 312 Formula like I did my Formula 252. What she means is I never "modified" it myself. I put a Procharged full roller 454 in the 252 & ran 75 mph (GPS) with it. Great boat, but she liked the ride of a bigger boat... so I bought my 312 in Arizona with Prochargers already on it (by Arizonz Speed & Marine). Therefore I never "bonded" with it. I do love the boat, the ride, the features, etc. But she was right.... It wasn't MINE!! Someone else did it...... so enter Fred's "Too Old Sonic" for sale.... a supposedly "finish it up" project. She liked the looks so I bought it. Unfortunately , it's condition was NOT as advertised. Everthing was trash on it, corroded beyond belief. Two different engines ( a forged 420hp-MK IV & a cast 300hp 454 Gen V!! So I had no choice but to strip it. It has only taken 5 years, but we really like the results. The ride really is great- some better than the Formula. And I incorporated some features of the Formula into the Sonic. McLeod seats. The Sonic does suffer greatly incomparison to the Formula 312 in the cockpit space, but the cuddy is much, much bigger. The walk around hull is nice also. Both have pluses, but the Sonic is every nut, bolt, screw, wire, gauge, etc. MINE!! It is now reliable, distinctive & will never be confused with another boat of any make..... I sort of think that is what all "avid" performance boater strive for.... not necessarily the fastest on the lake, just the best all around fit for each of us..... when someone sees or hears this boat on the lake... they say "there go's George & Pam!!! .... What more can we ask??? I am pleased.....
& the '97 Formula is for sale - 225 hours & $49K with trailer. Below loan value!!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply and happy boating to ya.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

I've got a question for you since you ripped your whole boat apart. Where is the fresh water tank and how hard is it to get to? I think we have a leak in our tank and I'm trying to get an idea what we're looking at to get it fixed.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interseting what you find when searching for something else.

You did a helluva job on that boat. In light of recent happenings I'm sure you didn't expect it to be as large a job as it turned out to be when you bought it.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered

I just found out about the bad deal with Fred, Trick Marine (Too Old),,, so I changed the name of the thread to The blown formula sonic project now... too much bad press on Fred. I do not wish to be associated in any way with him, even as a victim.
George

Quick Reply: The "Blown Formula" Sonic Project !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.