Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
How much will bigger power raise my boats value? >

How much will bigger power raise my boats value?

Notices

How much will bigger power raise my boats value?

Old 08-10-2003, 05:23 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much will bigger power raise my boats value?

I have a'97 31SS with 454Mags that has just recently been asessed @ $71,000. This winter I will be building the mags into 525SC's. I have all Mercruiser parts to use so they will look stock. All the necessary internal upgrades will be done. The only differences will be stock exhaust (no headers) and no chrome decals for the valve covers (merc wants $90 each for them) so I'll just paint the valve covers merc HP blue. I'll be adding race scoops and additional gauges.
Any idea how much, if at all, this will increase my boats value?
Attached Thumbnails How much will bigger power raise my boats value?-new-blowers-2.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

None, it's all for you big boy...that is just dock ****. Wanna talk, give me a call.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Color me surprised, I was expecting that. Used Sonic values suck lately, especially compared to new prices, 31 496 boats retail $170K. Is my lack of increase in value due to the fact they won't be true Merc blue power or just because the price is flat regardless of power?
Thanks for the reply Dano!
Old 08-11-2003, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Dan, did you sell your hot rod yet?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell it with stock power you never get your money back out of upgraded motors....
Old 08-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ahhhh, boats!

I'd say blow it and keep it. Right now it's definitely a buyers market and all used boat values are way down, not just Sonic. You have a great platform to work from and could pump 600-700HP/side and have a pretty serious and stable ride. Don't plan on recouping the costs though.

Motor upgrades unless original from Merc typically have little to no increase in resale...sometimes even hurts them. That's why I said it's all for you.....and the gas station. However if appropriately installed can make resale a little "faster" as it sets you apart from the rest. Just have to find the right buyer.

Still have the hot rod...changed out the drive gearing to a 1/3...mucho better now. With all that it's pretty much done so I've been kinda' pondering the next boat. Probably a 35-38 with big NA motors.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info Dan. I am happy with my boat, it still looks new, and will run pretty good blown.

Did changing to the 1/3 gears have any effect on your top end? I'm sure planing is a little nicer swinging the smaller wheels. For your next boat's power I'm kinda partial to 600cid motors from PRI or Pfaff. Both are 700-750hp NA. Talk about torque!
Old 08-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Actually the 1/3 picked up several mph. All around just a better ride with those gears. The props are significantly more efficient. If you go blown you should consider it! I am getting a little bow plant so I'm gonna switch the prop rotation and see what shakes but overall I should have done this long before...

Both builders are good...I like Chief and Cobra as well. Good luck on the upgrade!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:53 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris don't worry about the resale. Just remember, boats are money pits, not money piles. The more money you through at them, usually doesn't increase the value.

On the flip side, it will be worth way more than you put into it to you when you are done.

Let me know if you need help with anything, I can open and hand you beers!
Old 08-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks BN! I can always count on you!! I'm on vacation and have the boat at the camp all week, you're welcome to visit with or without the boat. Did you name her yet? When do we order the whipples?

Quick Reply: How much will bigger power raise my boats value?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.