for the winter >

for the winter

Notices

for the winter

Old 10-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the winter

What is the best way to winterize the engine? On my old boat I would just connect one of those containers that you can put antifreeze in with a valve on it where you could shut off the hose and allow the antifreeze to run into the engine via flush ears on the outdrive. I tired this with my 502/bravo setup and had trouble getting the antifreeze to flow so I gave up and paid to have it done at the marina.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to a larger hose from the antifreeze container to the ears. Flows with no problem now.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:03 PM
daven

Default winterize

What type of motor do u have

Dave

Old 10-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Registered

502 mag efi
Old 10-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Registered

After I drain the motor, I fill a large flat plastic container with about 10 gallons of pink antifreeze. IT's like one of those plastic storage containers they make that fits under a bed. I submerse a bilge pump in it and connect bilge pump to the ears. I'm then able to run motor for about 15 minutes, or long enough to get oil warm since I'll change the oil when I'm done with the antifreeze. When I'm done, I empty the antifreeze and save it for next year when I mix it with some new stuff.. The key is to have a big enough plastic container for the antifreeze to be caught as it's exausted from the engine. I catch most of is, get some splashing.... works great!!! Engine holds about 5 gallons of antifreeze...
Old 10-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Great way to ensure antifreeze catching is head to Home Depot and buy two 10' lengths of of Black Drain Tile, non-perferated, and slip them over your exhaust tips.

If you are going to used the D-I-Y kit, I also switched to a bigger hose, and have it directly connected to my flush fitting on the transom, NOT ears. Also, enlarge the vent hole with the biggest drill bit you can without damaging the outer threads. Do this with the container upside down (over your head) so the plastic barbs do not fall into the container. Set the full container on top of an 8 foot step ladder next to the boat, so it flows down, and if you still have problems, try to lightly pressurize the container by blowing into the vent hole.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Registered

Thanks, I will give it a try. Does anyone just drain the block and remove a hose and fill the engine with anti freeze?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Registered

Just drain and fill.... I don't... I figure the extra effort is much easier than pulling an engine or manifolds after the thaw..... I've seen it happen to many times.. Better safe than sorry.... The ultimate winterization.... move boat to Florida!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I used to drain and fill it through the hoses- 2 exhaust, cooler, water pump, and sea water pump supply. Time consuming, much easier to just run it. I also do it through the fresh water flushes with my bucket on a ladder. This year I just did it by draining the engines and then running the engines while pouring antifreeze into my sea strainers (they hold about a gallon) until it came out the exhaust.
Really doesn't matter how, just drain the water and get anti freeze in somehow.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an awesome link in the Tech section on full winterize....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=60302

Quick Reply: for the winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.