Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Sonic v. Outerlimits >

Sonic v. Outerlimits

Notices

Sonic v. Outerlimits

Old 11-10-2003, 03:15 PM
TeamSonic42

LOR, all good points. If you can work on the big power & have the money to fix it yourself, then by all means have at it. I dont have the time or the patience, facilities/tools, not to mention the $$$, to have someone else fix the big power. I have the knowledge, just not the key things above.

I have to say the ego thing, and the ability to run 120 is cool, and understand your POV.

The 386 of Full Tilts, never saw her run, only heard about it. But thte same setup is/was in a 40 Baja they had, and it was a pig. The problem, who knows, boat, driver, setup, pr the package in general.

I do know I have heard of several big Sonic with big CID engines that ran over 100. Im sure with the right setup and the right power, close to 120mph is attainable in a 42.

Again, good luck in your search. Since we are in the same region, maybe we will catchup someday in person. All the best to ya.........

Old 11-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the $$$ either I just want it, I'll figure the rest out later. But it's still cheaper than racing anything. I would like to ride in a fast Sonic, the fastest I have been in was a 93 mph 45 it was rock solid but I would be a little leery of one going over 110, I don't think Jay Ross really thought of going over a 100 when he made them. I'am sure 100 mph one's are soon to come right from Sonic but I don't think just getting them lighter is going to do it but Richard said he's not going to step them, at least thats what he said last year. I think he should have them both ways.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Registered

Default OL vs Sonic

Although the outerlimits is EXTREMELY FAST, have you ever seen one that is a year old or more that has been pokerunned or raced? I think they are so fast cause they build them out of paper, they are full of stress cracks and loose parts, you never see a Sonic with all of the those cracks. I do respect the speed out of a V hull, plus the fact that they knocked Reggie off of his pedestal, but as most of you noted, they all have HUGE power and the Fiores definitely know how to rig and set them up. I am a Velocity fan, but have been interested in SOnics for a while. I may actually convert soon. Where else can you go fast and actually spend a weekend on a boat with all the amenities, except in a Sonic. It is just a matter of time before Sonic starts making very light and fast boats, they are all going that way. I remember being in Key West years ago when they unveiled a 386 with twin 900s and a generator in between, and every one was saying, where else are you gonna go 90+ with the air on?

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Registered

I love my Sonic but am selling it for an Outerlimits. I have never seen a rough looking OL and I have seen a lot of used ones since that is all I can afford, even the 97 year boats still look great. As for a 386 doing 90 mph with 900s, What was wrong with it? 900's will go 105+.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Lapse, OL in my eyes makes an Awesome Machine, No question about it, but as far as price, you stated OL is the same price as Nor-Tech, you are about 100k off, trust me I know, and thats comparing apples to apples. What you will get with OL is a little more speed with their lighter hull, but if comfort, definatly better ride, and a 9' beam with 6' plus headroom, plus a 3 tiered dash with carbon fiber panels, Nortech is the ticket. Sometimes weight in the right areas have an advantage , especially in the rough stuff. Anyways, I wish you good luck in finding your dream boat, take care Jeff.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Registered

I said about the same price, whats 100k when you might be spending a mil.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Its only the commission the dealership makes your right, whats an extra 100k, especially when it comes time to resell. There are 9 OL for sale in the classified section, some of them allready have deprieciation figured in, OR save yourself 150K and just buy Animal House for 850K Good Luck. Jeff