Notices

f'(x)

Old 12-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f'(x)

Sonics new manufacturing process seems pretty high tech:
From a technical Standpoint, the new f'(x) series of Sonics utilize a Reichhold polyester gel faced with a mat-veil combination followed by successive layers of kitted 3Tex three dimensionally woven glass and in selected areas, Kevlar and carbon-fibre. Following is a layer of kitted Baltek GPS infusion balsa core, topped with more layers of 3Tex three dimensional glass/carbon fibre. The dry placed laminate is infused with Reichhold's HYDREX HF 100 resin, which was specifically designed for infusion under a mold pressure in Sonic's case of up to 225,000 lbs. depending on part/mold length. The result is an incredibly uniform stronger, stiffer and lighter laminate offering minimum safety factor of 14, which is equivalent to USA military aviation standards. It is the goal at Sonic USA to go another 26 years without a hull structural problem. So---by all means please ask us how we build our boats and better yet contact us for a factory tour so that you can see for yourself. Sonic USA is one boat company that is proud to show you how we build our boat.
Attached Thumbnails f'(x)-fx.jpg  
Old 12-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Registered

Is the a new new process or is this a detailed description of the "bagging" process they started about 2 years ago?

Any reports on the decrease in weight? Any exact numbers on any of the models?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

ECB, I'm not sure. I get the impression this may be the evolution of the infusion process. Maybe Dano will chime in.
The web site is somewhat updated but there was no info on weight savings. Just that it's stronger/lighter.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G4B -
Glad to hear Sonic builds them to be bullet-proof. I know we made the right choice! Our 26 Prowler was just finished (according to Fred) last week. It's being shipped to my dealer (I'm assuming) within the next 2 weeks. My wife and I are getting real excited! What a great Xmas present! Unfortunately it snowed here last night and we're counting the weeks (16 or 17 depending on mother nature) until we "unleash" that bad boy on the lake!

And by the way, ditto on your post script WINTER DOES SUCK!!!!!

Last edited by steve chalupka; 12-14-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, we're in the middle of a noreaster right now.

Congrats on the new boat!!! You won't find another boat that size with a cabin like yours.

OBTW, if I remember my calculus the logo they're using is the first derivitave, like the 45' diesel they've been experimenting with.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve

I hope to see you on the lake next year. My brother and sister in law live in Gurnee.

Its going to be a long winter but won't spring be fun.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Registered

Well now I know what the fx on my boat means.