Sonic Dakota

Notices

Sonic Dakota

Old 01-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sonic Dakota

What does everyone think of the merger? I wonder if it will change anything for the quality of rigging or change the focus from high performance. I hope not, the products coming out lately are fantastic (ie 46SS)!
Old 01-09-2004, 04:25 AM
Registered

i don't think its going to change at all i think it can only get better Richards a smart man just look at the 46.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

The way I look at it is a positive move, you have too good co. merging together. Sonic doesnt have a fish series, and why tool a new boat when you can merge with another co, hopefully improve cash flow and better both co. , trading techiniques, ideas and improving on overall quality of both boats at one facility. Reggie said it best in PB last month, that fish boats make up almost 40% of their sales, along with their now new cruiser line, and wish he would have done it sooner. It will make Sonic and all around better co, more diversity, Richard's got his stuff together.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at the Sonic plant yesterday no Mgnt was in I will be there again today sometime after 1:00. If anybody needs anything looked at let me know.704-634-9004

David Ledford

1/9/04

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 01-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

are the fishing boats and sonics going to made at the same factory ?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Newspaper article:
Stuart boatmakers join forces

By Susan Port, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 9, 2004

STUART -- Two area boatmakers joined forces this week and have chosen Stuart as their production site.

Florida Boat Works of Stuart and Sonic USA Inc. of Hollywood have created First Derivative Technologies LLC, a new company that will have a boatmaking division and a composite-materials manufacturing arm.

Sonic will start moving its molds and other manufacturing equipment today to the Florida Boat Works plant in Stuart. The move of most of Sonic's boat production to the 65,000-square-foot building at Witham Field will add 30 jobs initially to the 40-person staff, said Bill Sturtz, co-owner of Florida Boat Works.

With the extra room it will gain at its 80,000-square-foot plant in Hollywood, Sonic owner Richard Hewitt III said the company will create a "super-showroom" for the Sonic and Florida Boat Works' Dakota lines, and set aside space for a research-and-development operation in composites technology.

"We'll have a full array of various models, accessory lines and a full retail operation in Hollywood," Hewitt said.

Officials declined to disclose financial terms of their alliance.

Hewitt, Sturtz and Tony Telese, another partner in Florida Boat Works, are all principals in the new venture but are still working out their individual titles.

For Florida Boat Works, the partnership makes a lot of sense, Sturtz said.

"Sonic currently already has a dealer network in place," he said. "It expands our recreational sales capabilities."

Dakota only has one dealer, while Sonic, which has been in business for 28 years, operates 10 nationwide.

Hewitt said First Derivative plans to build 150 boats this year. They declined to release revenue forecasts.

"We are not doing it to make less money," Sturtz said.

Dakota has built about 30 boats and brought in about $2 million in revenue since Sturtz and Telese bought the company nine months ago. Sonic produced 80 of its powerboats last year, posting $10 million in sales.

Dakota makes five models of its fishing boats, which range from 25 feet to 36 feet and sell from $75,000 to $190,000. Sonic produces seven models from 22 feet to 45 feet that sell between $30,000 to $750,000.

Dakotas will now be produced using Sonic's lighter composites, which will allow the boat to go more than 70 mph. They hope to have the new model, which will be called Sonic Dakota, ready for the Miami Boat Show.

Frank Herhold, executive director of the Marine Industries Association of South Florida, said it makes sense for Sonic and Dakota to team up. Many boatmakers have merged recently to reduce overhead costs, he said.

"It's a good marriage," Herhold said.

A partnership with Dakota will help Sonic develop military relationships, Hewitt said. Dakota is completing a contract for two boats for the U.S. Border Patrol in Miami. The second boat will be delivered to Marathon next week.

[email protected]