Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Opinion: 45/6 Sonic or 51 Outterlimits ? >

Opinion: 45/6 Sonic or 51 Outterlimits ?

Notices

Opinion: 45/6 Sonic or 51 Outterlimits ?

Old 01-29-2004, 06:03 PM
TeamSonic42

Default Opinion: 45/6 Sonic or 51 Outterlimits ?

Was going thru my boat mag issues & came across the 1/03 issue of Power Boat magazine with the 51 OL on the cover.

After re-reading the article on the 51....with 1200 Sterlings she ran 110mph and cost $981,000.00. With a $904,201.00 base price. A very nice boat indeed.Weighs in at 16000lbs. 110mph in a boat of that substance in no small feat, quite an accomplishment.

But in reality the new 46 with 1100 Cobra's went just shy of 100mph and that was with fuel delivery problem. So guessing the problem was fixed and conditions were better, she would have topped 100. According to a board member, he has seen the 46 go over 100 and were still playing with props.

Question: If you had the money and could afford either, which would you buy and why ?

Personally, I would go with the Sonic. I cant justify almost another $500k for 10 more mph & 6 more feet of boat length & a 9'3" beam over an 8'6" beam.

If the Sonic had 1200's she would go atleast 5 more mph. We need to to find out how fast the new 46 goes after dialing in.

The Sonic was tested in 96 degree weather. The OL in 89 degree. The 40-60mph times were slightly faster on the Sonic than the OL. Grantide the Sonic is almost 5000 lbs lighter too.

Bottom line, is the OL really worth almost twice as much as a 46 Sonic. Not knocking and Not disrepsecting the OL, The Fiores build an awesome machine, just out of the price range of most individuals.

What do you guys think ?

Old 01-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think another 200hp is going to give you 5 mph. The OL was the old lay up, with the new epoxy lay up you should see about 5-10 more mph and 2k less pounds. The cabin on the OL is just awesome, fit & finish. The Sonics is the same as our 42's. But the Sonic has a ton of bang for the buck. What I want to see is a bunch of 42's and 46's coming out running over 95 mph. Just to make sure this isn't a one off way more than the next guy is going to get boat.

If I had the coin to do either brand new I would go with the OL for two reason's. I already have a Sonic, the other the first time I rode in an OL I wasn't expecting it to ride better than my Sonic, boy was I wrong.

A OL setup like one in the mag could be had for around 800K.
This is Sonics first shot at a real big motor fast boat, and they did an awesome job but let's see what happens with the price. Remember OL's were a lot cheaper when they first came out but it takes a lot more work to make them go over 100 mph.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:30 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't really done a lot of research on OL's other than all the hype. I believe in getting the most for my money and that's why I'm on my second Sonic. I can't see spending almost 2x's the $$ for the OL.

With the 400k savings of not buying the OL, you could buy a nice vacation home on the water somewhere and dock your Sonic there.

On the flip side, if Sonic starts to increase their prices significantyl, I think that they will begin to lose part of their niche. Sonics are very well built and you get a lot of boat for your $$.

Last edited by bn; 01-30-2004 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Registered

BN thats a great plan, but what do I need two homes on the water for.

I would like to have one in warmer climate but that will have to wait till I retire.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Totally apples and oranges comparison folks....
Old 01-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Registered

How so Dano, they both say they make the finest boats on the water. Not the finest boats on the water for the money. Don't get me wrong I love my Sonic and the way the company treats you but the are both in the same basket. You don't have to get Two different magazines to read about them.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lapse just different entities thats all. I love Sonic but they are not in the same class as OL. Now for the money etc, etc....well that is a totally different thing. To each there own...it's just not a valid comparison on it's own merits my friend.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered

I will go with you on that for the smaller lower power ones but when your talking the two boats we are talking about I think it's fair to compare.

If you can afford a 500K boat than you can probably do a 800K boat. Most of the time when your spending that kind of coin on a toy 300K ain't much.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dude...we need to talk.

OL doesn't make those and I'm not promoting that product in any way. As I said before Sonic $ for $ is a damn hard boat to beat. That is why I have owned a ****load of them and currently have several of them. Investment+performance= good go-fast boat.

I don't type that fast and I'm sticky on spelling. Anyway hope this is social...what are you running? I have a couple I'm selling and I firmly believe in those boats. The issue was a comparison of a Corvette to a Ferrari...just different.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Registered

I have a 2000 42 with 5oo efi's. I love the boat but want to go about 50 MPH faster, so I am looking to buy a 42 OL with big power and 5's or 6's.

Quick Reply: Opinion: 45/6 Sonic or 51 Outterlimits ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.