Cabin compartment

Notices

Cabin compartment

Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cabin compartment

Well, I just thought I'ld ask this question while we're all waiting in suspense ( capt. cracker ) for the news release! My question is regarding space under my v-berth (26 Prowler) cushion, there is a plastic access door approx. 12x18" which when opened accesses a small storage area. I usually toss a couple of spare fenders in there. As I recall the area is split in half by a center stringer with plastic hoses on either side. I assume these hoses run to the area under the cabin floor and then to the bilge. My question is why do they (hoses) enter this forward compartment, in my boat the bottom of the boat is starting to rise up to the bow at this point. There also is no way any water could enter this compartment from the cabin to get to the bilge. Occasionally if I get some water in the bilge from cleaning, ect., it some times makes it way into this forward compartment (due to the fact that I lower the tongue when stored at home) gets hot in the cabin when covered and gets like a jungle humidity wise in there! Is there some reason I couldn't cut the hoses flush and glass the holes shut? I would like to be able to store stuff up there without mold growth or would I be jeopardizing something by doing this ? I know this isn't a very exciting thread but inquiring minds want to know! Has anyone else run across this on their Sonic? Thanks! Steve
Old 03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Cabin compartment

mines always dry,when i open up the door it just smells like new glass,hmm,it's gotta be from lowering the tongue,maybe put like a bilge plug in there first before you make anything permanent,dave
Old 03-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

I had the same problem with mine. It happens. The hoses are so low in the hull, that water traps in there sometimes. Cap that off with the occaisional rubrail leak or bow light leak, and it gets some water in there. I stuffed a rubber cork in mine, and duct taped it up real tight (the tube in the compartment sickos). I also covered the whole area where the tube enters in 3M 4200 to keep water out. Its good to have the hose still there when you do want to drain it out if you need to.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the ideas! Brian, I knew you'ld chime in on this one ! Come on Summer! Steve
Old 03-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water in the storage bin under the berth is (was) a common problem with Sonics. There was an old thread about this. Nobody really knows how the water was getting in there. It looks like the hoses were a short term fix by Sonic. I wouldn't glass the drain holes if I were you. Our old 34 would always be full of brown water and we couldn't ever figure it out.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALWAYS store a Sonic or any other boat for that matter with the bow up versus bow down. Found out the hard way with our 41 when it was stored with the bow down while having work done on it. Over one foot of water in the cabin. Took forever to clean that mess up

Last edited by 45sonic; 03-30-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sonicdriver
Water in the storage bin under the berth is (was) a common problem with Sonics. There was an old thread about this. Nobody really knows how the water was getting in there. It looks like the hoses were a short term fix by Sonic. I wouldn't glass the drain holes if I were you. Our old 34 would always be full of brown water and we couldn't ever figure it out.

Mostly due to poor sealing around the rubrail, hatches and bow light from what I've found. I ve had some that leaked around the windscreen screws also.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess I'll just leave things the way they are. I don't think I'm getting any water in from the light (fixed that) or rubrail. The reason I lower the bow for storage is to get the full storage cover on without dragging the ladder out. Steve
Old 04-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Registered

Had the same problem last year with my 358. What I found was I installed a new POP UP bow light and the water was coming in from the light. Livisori makes a water trap for the light but there is not enought room in the BEAK for trap.

Should of let WELL ENOUGH ALONE!!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mystry cabin water in boats having the Accon Marine pull up cleats, with out a doubt is comming tru the cleats. Not around the cleat, not under the cleat not the rub rail, not the bow light. Don't believe me? take one out and look under one of the 2 Accon Marine stickers. You will find two holes used to detent the cleat in it's up and down position. Water entering the cleat is trapped in the capped tubes untill the sitckers fail. Yes stickers silver metallic stickers.

If you have standard fixed cleats who knows.