Lake Travis is Flooding! >

Lake Travis is Flooding!

Notices

Lake Travis is Flooding!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Travis is Flooding!

Yep, we were 35 feet low in February. Now we are in a flood!

Lake Travis is considered "full" at 681 feet of elevation. As of 2:00pm cdt today, we are at 691. It is projected to go to 697, and that is if no more rain falls.

With more rain, we could be at 700 feet by weekend!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yikes!

It's a whole new lake when it is either way low or way high.

Be careful....
Old 06-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts

Texoma too - regular pool is 618-619 right now its at 625 and rising a foot everyday.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send the water to Lake Lanier. We're dropping every day!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Texoma is getting bad, as of Sunday when I was there Highport was almost underwater and I bet its up into the bar area by now
Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered

I have slips reserved and hotel for Travis. Looks like we may have to change plans. A marina owner told me this afternoon they were going to close Travis to recreational boating. Also mentioned it was contaminated due to all the flooded septic systems? We had cancelled at texoma and changed to Travis. may have to try Conroe or Grand?

Last edited by txwatergypsy; 06-27-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Texoma too - regular pool is 618-619 right now its at 625 and rising a foot everyday.
As of now Lake Travis has risen 12' in less then 24 hrs. I had gotten a call this morning at 5am that the water had gone up aprox. 5 feet overnight, was going up a foot an hr. and I had
better get there to move my trailer out.

Clay, good seeing you today.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes,all the highland lakes except Buchanan are closed to boating. Freind woke me up this morning to borrow my boxtruck to move his stuff out of his house,water was already up to his porch. Luckily mine is a bit higher up,I am right at the floodplain (714') so still a ways to go. Have to go by the boat and see if its still there. Havent had any time this week due to a ton of work all coming down at the same time..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://floodstatus.lcra.org/
quote:
Following torrential rains last night and early this morning, LCRA closed Inks Lake and lakes Travis, Marble Falls and LBJ temporarily to recreational boating because significant debris makes boating unsafe at this time.

Lake Buchanan remains open to recreational boating, but LCRA advises extreme caution for boaters because of swift currents, debris and other navigational hazards.

The City of Austin has closed recreational activities on Lake Austin, Town Lake and the Colorado River downstream of Longhorn Dam in the city limits. With recreational boating being prohibited on Lake Travis, ramps operated by Travis County and LCRA are closed.

LCRA officials have received reports of flooding and damage to docks and marinas on Lake Travis and other lakes after heavy rainfall slammed parts of the Hill Country. One gauge in Marble Falls recorded 19 inches of rain in 10½ hours from late last night to this morning.

To move floodwaters downstream, LCRA has opened floodgates at all of the dams it operates that have floodgates. Four floodgates are open at Mansfield Dam, which forms Lake Travis and is designed specifically to contain floodwaters. Lake Travis is capturing and holding floodwaters until they can be released safely downstream.

Late this afternoon, Lake Travis was above 691 feet above mean sea level (msl), and continues to rise. LCRA forecasts that during the next 24 hours the lake will reach 695 to 697 feet msl – 14 to 16 feet into its flood pool and above its full elevation level of 681.

Additional rains could cause the lake levels to rise further and cause LCRA to launch additional floodgate operations. All of LCRA’s lake forecasts take into account only the rain that already has fallen and do not include any additional rainfall.

On Wednesday, LCRA opened one floodgate at Buchanan Dam, which forms Lake Buchanan, four floodgates at Wirtz Dam, which forms Lake LBJ, and all 10 floodgates at Starcke Dam, which forms Lake Marble Falls. At Tom Miller Dam, which forms Lake Austin, two floodgates are fully open and one floodgate is partially open.

One Hill Country tributary remained at flood stage late this afternoon: the Llano River at Llano. Downstream of Austin, the Colorado River is forecast to remain below flood stage at all locations.

LCRA continues to monitor conditions and asks residents to do the same. Residents who live along lakes, rivers or other tributaries should closely monitor weather conditions and be prepared to take any necessary precautions — such as evacuating and securing boat docks and other property that may be in the floodplain.

Drivers should not attempt to drive through water that is causing flooding at low-water crossings. Travelers are urged to follow the advice of the National Weather Service's campaign about the hazards of walking or driving through flood waters: Turn Around Don't Drown™.

In addition to the ban on recreational boating, LCRA reminds people of the hazards associated with boating or swimming in a lake that has received heavy runoff. While swimming in lakes and streams always carries a risk, higher bacteria levels usually follow heavy rain runoff events. Be aware that swimming in natural water bodies after heavy rains increases your risk of illness caused by bacteria. Higher bacteria levels typically return to normal in about a week to 10 days from the time of the peak runoff into the waterways.

Floods also can affect water utilities, so people throughout the Hill Country are advised to check with their water service provider for information about any possible disruptions to their water service. LCRA retail water utility customers can call 1-877-718-4396 (press 0 after normal business hours) to report service issues.

RIVERS & LAKES
LAKE: LEVEL: MO. AVG.
Buchanan 1018.81 1014.87
Travis 693.08 671.44

Daily River Report

AREA WEATHER
2007-06-27 at 9:24PM
72°F Cherokee
76°F Marble Falls
72°F Giddings
80°F Wharton
Bob Rose's Weather Blog

CUSTOMER CORNER
Parks/outdoor programs...
Choose a quick link>>Parks listReserve cabin, RV or camp siteOrder parks guideSign up for outdoor programsPark system mapSchedule meeting roomBoat ramp information

Residential water utilities...
Choose a quick link>>Consumer infoApplication for residential serviceBilling and payment infoDrinking water quality reportsCheck for a leak

Permits & standards...
Choose a quick link>>Septic tank permitsSeptic tank inspection infoWater Quality OrdinanceDredge and fill standardsBoat dock standards

Electric transmission...
Choose a quick link>>Construction projectsLine maintenanceProperty easementTransmission overview

More...
Choose a quick link>>Boating safety classesSubscribe to e-newslettersEmployment at LCRAHow to contact LCRA by dept.Public meeting calendarPublic Safety trainingEducational programsDoing business with LCRAGrants and assistanceCommunity trainingEnvironmental Laboratory

Parks & Natural Science Centers
Jobs
News Releases

Home Contact LCRA Sitemap Privacy Policy Open Records Information

© 1996-2007 Lower Colorado River Authority. All rights reserved.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

so, does this mean we're not going to get July 4th Claymate pic's?????

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: Lake Travis is Flooding!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.