Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pensacola Beach ?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

hotstang has the same idea as we do. We are from Michigan and do not want to have one more winter here just thinking about boating. All this feedback is awsome, howvere there is something I need help understanding. It would make sence to me that because of prevailing winds it would be calmer on the east side of the state. I don't dought what anyone is saying, I'm just looking for help understanding. I will also add that here in Michigan the best boating is on the west side of the state because of beaches and the waves roll rather than chop. Maybe I already answered my own question. Is there a differnce in the type of wave from your east and west sides?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The water in Biscayne Bay is usually crystal clear. You are minutes from the ocean that can give you a great mixture of calm, light chop or rough Cigarette/Apache water on any given day. Helps if you speak Spanish, however.

You're 45 miles from Bimini and about 95 from Freeport if you like crossing the Gulfstream. You never have to put your boat in storage and can be on the water on New Years Eve if you so desire. The warm saltwater is very corrosive, so your maintenance will have to be ever vigilant. You're within striking distance of the Keys every day.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
The water in Biscayne Bay is usually crystal clear. You are minutes from the ocean that can give you a great mixture of calm, light chop or rough Cigarette/Apache water on any given day. Helps if you speak Spanish, however.

You're 45 miles from Bimini and about 95 from Freeport if you like crossing the Gulfstream. You never have to put your boat in storage and can be on the water on New Years Eve if you so desire. The warm saltwater is very corrosive, so your maintenance will have to be ever vigilant. You're within striking distance of the Keys every day.
Bimini is in the Bahamas? Anything besides the weather someone should know before making the crossing?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission
Bimini is in the Bahamas? Anything besides the weather someone should know before making the crossing?
Yes. You must have a valid passport and your boat is charged a flat fee whether you need a fishing license or not. Fee includes all arrival and departure taxes, etc.

Think of the Gulfstream as a north-moving river in the ocean. How rough it is depends on the combination of many factors. Without any tropical storms around upsetting the applecart, the worst set of conditions is winter, ( river is much warmer than the ocean), prevailing, heavy winds from the North, ( kicks up the waves pretty good). It's not unusual to get stranded on the other side once in a while until the wind dies down or changes direction.

Gas in the Bahamas is more expensive, but it is a higher octane. Buy only from a high volume location to get the dry, fresh stuff.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes. You must have a valid passport and your boat is charged a flat fee whether you need a fishing license or not. Fee includes all arrival and departure taxes, etc.

Think of the Gulfstream as a north-moving river in the ocean. How rough it is depends on the combination of many factors. Without any tropical storms around upsetting the applecart, the worst set of conditions is winter, ( river is much warmer than the ocean), prevailing, heavy winds from the North, ( kicks up the waves pretty good). It's not unusual to get stranded on the other side once in a while until the wind dies down or changes direction.

Gas in the Bahamas is more expensive, but it is a higher octane. Buy only from a high volume location to get the dry, fresh stuff.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.
is there a reasonably accurate resourse for these weather conditions? I live by the weather chanel, but say that i have ever seen this info discussed.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered

if its nice I go, if it gets bad when im over there I stay or fly back on vintage air I live in lake co. and trailer to were I feel love the choices moved down in 89 from MI
Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

Default Saltwater Maintenance

Hello, I'm in the process of relocating to Miami for business, but will be commuting btwn Detroit & Miami...Life long freshwater boater...need to know what type of maint. is needed after each saltwater run with an offshore boat (Black Thunder)?? Also need to know if it is best to just buy another offshore that has been and will stay in saltwater/Miami...If that is the case, I'll probably be looking for a CC offshore w/outboards...so, how do outboard motors hold up in saltwater/Miami and what is their required maint.??

Thanks, Divenstar
Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered

it fla its all good !!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM

South Beach, no where else for me.

Quick Reply: Where's the best boating in FL??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.