Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Relocating to ATL - Lake Hartwell Questions? >

Relocating to ATL - Lake Hartwell Questions?

Notices

Relocating to ATL - Lake Hartwell Questions?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flashhat
CMR, noticed you had location OHIO/GA.
We live in northeast GA. in the winter, spend summer at Cedar Point Marina on lake erie.
Grew up in Ohio and we have always boated out of Catawba Island area.

Transfered down to ATL about 2 years ago and still commute back and forth monthly. Be back next weekend looking forward to hopefully making it over to KI!

Originally Posted by five cent worth
Thanks. We are an upper 20's couple with no kids (getting married 8/15!) and looking at some young places to live. We hear Smyrna, Vinnings and Marietta are some decent places to get a place. Seems the market is much more surpressed than up here.
Early congrats for you! Were in our 20's as well and like the Marietta area due the the convience of everything.

You'll find where ever you work you will want to live close that area. Traffic can be horrendous.

Last edited by C M R; 09-15-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Registered

Five Cent Worth, my wife works in Sandy Springs and like I mentioned, we bought in East Cobb. I bought in a little older subdivision so that I would not have any conflict with having the boat at the house. If you store your boat, your options are endless. I know compared to Pa. you can get a lot of house for your money here. Also the property taxes are reasonable in Cobb County as well. They seemed a little higher in Fulton County and a little cheaper yet in Cherokee county!! I do really like it here. You are close to a lot of different things. The downtown attractions are a reasonable commute. I am 12-13 miles to the boat ramp at Allatoona and maybe 35 minutes or so to Lanier depending on what ramp and traffic.

Congrats on the wedding and good luck on the move!! It can get overwhelming!!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=C M R;2926376]Grew up in Ohio and we have always boated out of Catawba Island area.

Transfered down to ATL about 2 years ago and still commute back and forth monthly. Be back next weekend looking forward to hopefully making it over to KI!

We are doing same thing, heading up next thurs to PNB for 4 days.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Registered

That is one thing that seems to be the on going theme in Charlotte and seems to continue in ATL - the shear amount of us mid-west transplants. OH, MI, PA and upstate NY seem to make up 75% - 85% of the transplants too. Makes it very easy to re-locate as I feel everyone that I meet grew up in the mid-west like I did. Very easy to relate to.

I often tell my parents that I anticipate the jobs heading back up north in 10 -15 yrs when those states get theirs head out of the sand.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
DJF
Registered

Originally Posted by five cent worth
That is one thing that seems to be the on going theme in Charlotte and seems to continue in ATL - the shear amount of us mid-west transplants. OH, MI, PA and upstate NY seem to make up 75% - 85% of the transplants too. Makes it very easy to re-locate as I feel everyone that I meet grew up in the mid-west like I did. Very easy to relate to.

I often tell my parents that I anticipate the jobs heading back up north in 10 -15 yrs when those states get theirs head out of the sand.
If you are working in Sandy Springs stay on the 400 corridor. Lots of home for the money and lots of young families. Shoot South on 400 to go the work and shoot North on 400 to the West side of Lanier to play on the water. Great central location. More of a younger party crowd on Lanier. I'm an old poot with a home in NE Atlanta near Lanier and spend the summer at my lake house on Hartwell. Great central location. Atlanta is such a great place to start a family and develop your career. Two years and you won't head back North. Light years ahead of Charlotte for a young family. (Flack jacket on). Moved to Atlanta when I was 19 and been here 43 years

Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DJF
If you are working in Sandy Springs stay on the 400 corridor. Lots of home for the money and lots of young families. Shoot South on 400 to go the work and shoot North on 400 to the West side of Lanier to play on the water. Great central location. More of a younger party crowd on Lanier. I'm an old poot with a home in NE Atlanta near Lanier and spend the summer at my lake house on Hartwell. Great central location. Atlanta is such a great place to start a family and develop your career. Two years and you won't head back North. Light years ahead of Charlotte for a young family. (Flack jacket on). Moved to Atlanta when I was 19 and been here 43 years

Dave
Thanks for the post. Good bit of info on the house hunting around 400.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sabrepsycho
LAKE NORMAN IS NOT A GREAT LAKE! LAKE NORMAN IS THE BIGGEST LAKE IN NORTH CAROLINA. THE GREAT LAKES ARE ERIE, MICHIGAN, SUPERIOR, HURON AND ONTARIO! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ONE OF THESE LAKES? LAKE NORMAN IS A MUD PUDDLE COMPARED TO ANY OF THESE LAKES. GET YOUR STUFF STRAIGHT! LAKE NORMAN DOESN'T SPAN THREE OR FOUR STATES LIKE MOST OF THE GREAT LAKES DO. YOU CAN DRIVE AROUND LAKE NORMAN IN A COUPLE OF HOURS OR LESS. YOU CAN DRIVE FROM BUFFALO TO CLEVELAND IN THREE HOURS AND STILL NOT GONE AROUND A QUARTER OF LAKE ERIE. JUST BECAUSE NORMAN IS BIG TO YOU DOESN'T MAKE IT GREAT!
The 1 post wonder. Hey man Frosted Flakes has nothing to do with water but their GRRRRRRRRREEEEAAAAAAAATTTT also. I like our mud puddle. I will be thinking about you when I am sipping a beer in November on my boat.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

If you are looking for the lake that compares to LKN then Lanier is the lake to be on in ATL. They have 8 restaurants and 3 or 4 dry stacks. My personal opinion is Alatoona is a over blown creek system that is very narrow in alot of places. Every lake gets rough on the holidays but that is part of boating in big water. Cocktail cove is the place for the party on the water just about every weekend. There is about 60 miles of water S to N and plenty to do. Also if you don't have a trailer give me a call when you go to move can help you get your boat to ATL since our boats our about the same. 770-318-2591. I have lived here all my life and the 400 area would be the place live if your working in Sandy Springs and puts you in the middle of both the lakes close to ATL (would be like Gastonia to Wylie and LKN) Hartwell, Chatanooga, Knoxville, Dale Hollow and Cumberland are great for long weekenders.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Registered

Also if you just want to meet some peeps on the lake give me a call on the water about every wknd (Lanier that is)
Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gabaja242
If you are looking for the lake that compares to LKN then Lanier is the lake to be on in ATL. They have 8 restaurants and 3 or 4 dry stacks. My personal opinion is Alatoona is a over blown creek system that is very narrow in alot of places. Every lake gets rough on the holidays but that is part of boating in big water. Cocktail cove is the place for the party on the water just about every weekend. There is about 60 miles of water S to N and plenty to do. Also if you don't have a trailer give me a call when you go to move can help you get your boat to ATL since our boats our about the same. 770-318-2591. I have lived here all my life and the 400 area would be the place live if your working in Sandy Springs and puts you in the middle of both the lakes close to ATL (would be like Gastonia to Wylie and LKN) Hartwell, Chatanooga, Knoxville, Dale Hollow and Cumberland are great for long weekenders.
Great info. I will be hitting you up.

We love dining on the water dining and taking cruises to our favorite dining spot. What's some good ones? Any maps on where they are?

Last edited by five cent worth; 08-26-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.