Boating In Tampa/St. Pete vs. S. Florida >

Boating In Tampa/St. Pete vs. S. Florida

Notices

Boating In Tampa/St. Pete vs. S. Florida

Old 03-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating In Tampa/St. Pete vs. S. Florida

So, I am getting ready to move to FL in Oct/Nov this year.

I have opportunities to grow my business in either city, so job is not an issue....

My questions specifically about the two are this:
  • Weather: I know Miami/Ft. Lauderdale tends to be warmer, especially in the evenings this time of year, correct? Does Tampa really get "cold" like it is here in NY? I'd like to be able to enjoy the boat every day, except when it's raining...Seems that may not be possible in Tampa?

• Fun Places To Go By Boat: Of course, S. Florida is loaded with fun places to go by boat (bars, restaurants, etc...) but I don't know the landscape in Tampa..Would you say its comparable, better, worse? Any feed back would be cool!

• Real Estate Costs: Based on some research on Zillow, it seems that a nice waterfront home where you can put a lift is pretty reasonable in comparison to South Florida? Seems that there is a lot to be had at great prices in Tampa?

• Bugs: I have heard that the bugs are insane in Tampa compared to S. Florida. Is this true? Does everyone really screen in their pools? That would be a bummer if true....

• Wages For My Employees: It seems like Tampa is more of a middle class city then Miami./Ft. Lauderdale? I have a tech company, so I need programmers/engineers, but also IT and sales personnel...Strong labor pool in Tampa?

• Overall Quality Of Life: Well? Maybe yiou guys in the know can chime in?

Any opinions on this would be really helpful...I know there are a lot of guys in Tampa and also Ft. Lauderdale/Miami...Maybe even some folks that have lived in both?

Thanks a million, guys!

Last edited by Moving2Miami; 03-24-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left you a message.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Cool

[QUOTE=Moving2Miami;3891643]So, I am getting ready to move to FL in Oct/Nov this year.

[LIST][*]Weather: I know Miami/Ft. Lauderdale tends to be warmer, especially in the evenings this time of year, correct? Does Tampa really get "cold" like it is here in NY? I'd like to be able to enjoy the boat every day, except when it's raining...Seems that may not be possible in Tampa?
QUOTE]

I am only a visitor here myself, looking to purchase in Sarasota/Bradenton area in near future, but to even pose the question about cold weather in Tampa versus Ft Lauderdale is not realistic.
There is 150 miles or so North and South distance wise, between Tampa and Miami. Nowhere close to the 1150 miles distance between New York and Tampa. I watch Sarasota year round and it rarely gets any significant cold weather.
You might be better to focus on crime in the areas you are looking to relocate to actually. Miami can be a warzone in certain areas, not aware of that issue on West Coast.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Registered

I have been to both, my choice would be the Tampa area. We stay in Tierrea Verde. It is on the south west side of Tampa. It is surrounded by water. Definately an upscale area. The whole area is unbelieveably clean.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

I appreciate the replies, guys...I definitely know it is warmer in Tampa than in NY, for sure...I was just referring to seeing some pretty nippy temperatures (50's) in Tampa as of late, and on the same days, seems to be 10+ degrees warmer in S. Florida...

And I know what you are saying on the crime front...I would be in Miami Beach/Brickell area...once you get further inland, I understand that it can get pretty sketchy from what I have been told...
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moving2Miami
I appreciate the replies, guys...I definitely know it is warmer in Tampa than in NY, for sure...I was just referring to seeing some pretty nippy temperatures (50's) in Tampa as of late, and on the same days, seems to be 10+ degrees warmer in S. Florida...

And I know what you are saying on the crime front...I would be in Miami Beach/Brickell area...once you get further inland, I understand that it can get pretty sketchy from what I have been told...
Yes,

When we get a cold front during the winter it seems most of the time West palm and south will be 5- 10 degrees warmer than Tampa area. There are some great places to ride on the West coast, but our access to the Keys is a bit better, six of one half dozen of the other. In Most cases the east coast will be a little pricier also.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Registered

I have spent time in both places. I like the tampa area better. The cost will be a little lower and you should have no problem finding a good labor pool there. Its less populated feeling than south florida, it feels more laid back. Lots of good boating on the west coast too. The weather is good most of the year. You will have cold fronts and some windy days but its isolated and you will be able to go out more often than not. Plenty to do in the central florida area as well. I always feel a little on edge in the miami area. Its got its good points but between the two i like the west coast better.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have lived in Tampa, Orlando and S E Florida. In the winter Tampa gets frost regularly where as here in South Florida it happens once every 10 years. Tampa will see sea surface temps in the high 50's to low 60's in January/February. I have never seen the water temp below 70 here. I have seen many cold days in Tampa in the winter with highs in the 50's when at the same time it's in the 70's in SE Florida.

Tampa has it's good points...it's all in what you're looking for. Living in SE Florida is living in the tropics...we have fruit bearing Coconut Palms. You won't find Tropical vegetation on the west coast very far north of Ft. Meyers.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm in swfl and agree with most. I live in Cape Coral which borders ft myers an yes we have fruit bearing palms. Tampa does have a different weather pattern than areas further south. Not saying "cold" but colder especially when fronts drop. I wouldn't be any further north than I am now.