Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Boating Areas Around Merritt Island >

Boating Areas Around Merritt Island

Notices

Boating Areas Around Merritt Island

Old 08-17-2021, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 972 Likes on 442 Posts

There are a few sections of the Banana river that have speed limits - most sections do not. From just north of Pineda Cswy, south to just before Mathers Bridge, is a 25mph zone, then no wake zone south from there to Dragon Point. Also no wake zone from just South of 528 bridge, north past the Port.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Merritt Island members- is there a regulation on how large of a slip you can have on your waterfront? If you have 75' of water frontage, is there a percentage of how much of that can be a slip?
I know in Palm Bay, an accessory building can not be greater than 50% sq ft of the main house sq ft. I put an offer in on a property that would have allowed me to build a building large enough to store boat & trailer.
So now just looking at other options.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Merritt Island members- is there a regulation on how large of a slip you can have on your waterfront? If you have 75' of water frontage, is there a percentage of how much of that can be a slip?
I know in Palm Bay, an accessory building can not be greater than 50% sq ft of the main house sq ft. I put an offer in on a property that would have allowed me to build a building large enough to store boat & trailer.
So now just looking at other options.
There are really only a few big regulations. One is that you can not cover more then 600 sq ft of water, fingers and top count, but not the soft tops like they have on the gulf side. Starting to see more of those.

The other reg is the dock can not go out more then 20% of the width of the canal. There is one HOA just north of m that doesn't allow roofs but most water front here do not have HOA's.

As for the land, there are a lot of regs for amount you can cover. I have a meeting to get into but will take a picture of the guy across the canal from me, lots of dock.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:18 AM
Registered

...And I don't think there is a limit to overall length, provided that the mandatory setbacks (8 or 10' from the property line) are maintained.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I started looking at houses in Merritt Island as an option, although even the lowest priced water front properties with pools are at my upper end. The ones that had the canal access have slips on them, but only look to be about 25-30' length. Was wondering if could even have a 40' slip there. My quick google maps search didnt spot any houses with cruisers or lengthy slips. So far Palm Bay seems to be providing more houses with features i want in my price range, & its not too far from marina's.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:04 PM
Registered

The issue is with the 600sf maximum, you can't really build a boathouse (with a roof) for anything beyond 32' or so. Nothing's stopping you from putting a 40' on a properly sized lift, I used to have a 35' Cigarette on my lift (no boathouse), no problem. And of course, with bottom paint, you can tie up just about anything to your seawall as long as you can get it under any bridges if applicable in the neighborhood you're in.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
The issue is with the 600sf maximum, you can't really build a boathouse (with a roof) for anything beyond 32' or so. Nothing's stopping you from putting a 40' on a properly sized lift, I used to have a 35' Cigarette on my lift (no boathouse), no problem. And of course, with bottom paint, you can tie up just about anything to your seawall as long as you can get it under any bridges if applicable in the neighborhood you're in.
Definitely do not want to do bottom paint/leave in the water. My realtor was telling me another company bought the marina in Turkey Creek & is planning on renovating it. Based on what I went out & read, sounds like they want to add a dry stack facility there. So that could be another option instead of Sebastian or in Port Canaveral.

I am staying down off 3rd & A1A this week in Melbourne Beach. Not bad at all for traffic & getting to work. Compared to KC, the commutes are much more mellow.