Late January, south Florida >

Late January, south Florida

Notices

Late January, south Florida

Old 10-27-2022, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 307 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Late January, south Florida

I am thinking about trailering my 32' Formula 311 SR-1 to the Keys for 10-14 days of "exploring". I am a Florida native and have been to the Keys many times but never with my boat (I live in Pensacola).
Is it reasonable to find Marinas that have accommodations (either live aboard or hotel rooms) and that would/could pull the boat out of the water every 2-3 days so I could clean the pristine (unpainted) bottom?
Just preliminary planning...
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by F14A water jet; 10-27-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:47 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 536 Posts

We took my old scarab down tot he keys for new years back in 99/00 and the boat was in the water the whole time....nothing happened in a weeks time to worry about. My boat was a trailer queen so also had an unpainted bottom. I wouldnt much worry about it....if you do happen to see something starting you could just mask/snorkel it and wipe the bottom down yourself.
Only other thing we did was after we got it out of the salt we took it to a fresh water lake and ran around for like 30min to get all the salt flushed out.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following users liked this post:
Velocity941 (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock Island Marina is very nice and has the Perry Hotel on site. It's not quite in Key West (I believe they run a shuttle bus), but a good, clean marina with all of the things. I would not think twice about leaving it in the water for 10 days. During the Miami to Key West Poker run my boat is in the water for a week with virtually no growth on the bottom. Also, I have to assume you will use it everyday if you are troubling yourself enough to trailer it there. There is so much to see. Try the run to the Dry Tortugas, if you have the fuel capacity. I promise that you will never forget that boat trip. Have fun.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 103 Posts

What he said about Stock Island, friends stayed there last year and really liked it. Shuttle and/or Taxi over to Key West. Hope you post details if you pull this off, we would be curious as to availability of marina space down there.