Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
advice on Cape Coral Florida >

advice on Cape Coral Florida

Notices

advice on Cape Coral Florida

Old 08-21-2024, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 820 Likes on 329 Posts

Another idea for the same price as waterfront in the cape would be buy 5 acres out in Golden gate in Naples with a house and room for a pole barn . Or build out there. You’re only 20-30 minutes from 3 different ramps one of them in Marco Island ,that have only minutes of slow no wake zones to the Gulf . Keep your boat in the garage out of the rain during the summer and have a place to work on it if needed.

Two of my buddies live out in Golden Gate and there is some nice sprawls you can buy in Naples for what the Cape is going to cost you. Also you’re in Naples not Cape Coral and only 2 1/2 -3 hours from the Keys.

I lived on the water in the Cape back in the 90s and enjoyed the convenience of my sailboat behind the house that we would go sailing out on the river at night after work 4 nights a week drinking and listening to music. It was magical being the only boat on the river back than. I know sailing makes all of you puke.

Anyways it was convenient having the boat ready to go all the time but if you have a nice boat you need it on a covered lift .A boat cover doesn’t cut it down here in the rain and the summer sun will bake it.

I was shopping salvage boats at auction after hurricane Ian and there were a lot of nice newer expensive boats that were on lifts but were already in a state of decay long before the hurricane damaged them. It doesn’t take long , one good rainy summer will ruin a boat once the moisture penetrates the boat cover.

Last edited by tommymonza; 08-21-2024 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tommymonza:
Helmwurst (08-22-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (08-22-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 192 Likes on 110 Posts

I hope they try to solve the problem let it go in Everglades not the gulf that may solve it??
The following 2 users liked this post by 105Fountain:
tommymonza (08-22-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (08-22-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by 105Fountain
I hope they try to solve the problem let it go in Everglades not the gulf that may solve it??
Too much “Big Sugar” in the way……..
The following 4 users liked this post by 36Tango:
105Fountain (08-22-2024), tommymonza (08-22-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (08-22-2024), Wildman_grafix (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 1,944 Likes on 768 Posts

Forgot that part.

I remember reading that big gov was blaming the farms for run off along the canal.

The farmers laughed at them stating, they were paying inflated prices on eco friendly fertilizer (per the tree huggers demands) that did no damage if it did make it into the canal.

The farmers then showed all the irrigation they had done to physically prevent that from happening anyhow.

And 100% agreed on leaving boats outside down there.

I see it up here too.
All the fancy new 35’ - 40’ center consoles that have interiors that could be in a Lexus!

And sit out, uncovered!
Give them 2 - 3 yrs.

Move it south??
Its done in one yr!

When we moved down I took a virgin STV tunnel boat w/us.
We never had inside storage, which is hard to find and expensive.

I had a quality, custom made mooring cover done for it and hoped for the best.

I put it up for sale the morning I pulled the cover and saw thread imprints in the gel from the bottom side of the cover!

The heat down there is a killer if you don’t prep/expect it.

Originally Posted by 36Tango
Too much “Big Sugar” in the way……..
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 820 Likes on 329 Posts

I think the only answer is a pipe running 10 miles offshore from Stuart pumping the run off into the Gulf Stream . It would be a drop in a bucket compared to draining it into the Gulf .
Twin O/B Sonic (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 331 Posts

SWFWMD has water sample stations all over the rivers and creeks in Manatee and Hillsbough counties. It would be interesting to see analysis of the Caloosahatchee River before and after it flows through Cape Coral. My guess is the rivers $hitty before town and extra $hitty by the time it hits the bay.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoodoo 2.0:
Old 08-22-2024, 11:07 AM
Registered

A few years back the State had the ability to get some land back as a lease was due (as I recall). The State decided to renew the long term lease. I am thinking that the sugar lobby had allot to do with that. It is the world that we are in today.

In my opinions, the hurricanes and storms are nothing as compared to the slow disaster that is occurring with the water quality. The only reason this disaster is not more widely known is that the press, businesses, and citizens all have a vested interest in the information not getting out as it could be disastrous for the area.

The absolute problem is all of the nutrients getting into the water in central Florida. All of the agriculture (both crops and livestock) drive allot of bad things into the water and instead of that being spread out into a very wide area so that nature had a fighting chance against it (like allowing it to spread over the wide everglades), we have narrowed all of that runoff into a glorified canal called the Caloosahatchee. Agriculture above Okeechobee is too big to change, and the sugar below is too big to change. Agricultural changes will not happen overnight, so basically the State has made the watershed from central Florida to the coast at Ft Myers to be the "sacrificial lamb". At this point, the viability of real estate is directly connected to how cheap it is, as compared to other locations with good water. Once again, just my opinion, but I believe it to be a valid one.

For what its worth, we kept a boat on a lift in our canal for 6 years. Instead of a traditional cover, we had a fixed sunbrella cover over the boat. When we would leave, I would lift it high to keep the sun off of it, but at the same token it could breath. It would get sprayed down with salt away, and all of the wiring/batteries/back of electronics would be sprayed down with Fluid Film. I never felt like we had a problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by 36Tango:
Old 08-22-2024, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,944 Likes on 768 Posts

I heard Indiantown is the latest hotspot for waterfront property.

Would be interesting to hear from those new property owners.

I used to test their frequently, and although there was nothing there (then) and 95% of the population were migrant workers, I loved it.

They had a gorgeous ramp and park.

Used to pass a deli/carry out a few miles out that had a sign I loved.

”Food, beer, gas, and free financial advice”!!

Always loved the Fla Crackers.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:11 PM
Registered

I was wrong about the water not being diverted to the east coast. Such a sad deal................

​​​​​​https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion...s/72713351007/
tommymonza (08-22-2024)