Performance on a 32' Sunsation with 496 Mag HO's

Notices

Performance on a 32' Sunsation with 496 Mag HO's

Old 01-16-2002, 09:37 AM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey Rick were in the book does it say the rev limiter is at 5150 RMP for the 496 Mag HO, the only thing I see is that the Max RPM range is 4600-5000 RPM, or am I missing something?

Thanks Kirk
Old 01-16-2002, 09:39 AM
AZDominator

KN, Thanks for the welcome - I thought this thread was dead! My speedo reads exactly 4 MPH happy throughout the speed range when compared to my GPS. We were reading 86-87 on Sunday (translated 82-83). I am thinking about Lab 30's as well. The "operating range" for the 496 MAG HO is 4800-5000, the rev limiter is set at 5150. I have alot more confidence since I performed the pushrod recall at 7 hrs (I did all of the teardown and bubble rapping of the components so there wouldn't be scratches, the certified Merc guy just R&R the pushrods. Hell, I even removed the back seat and replaced it with a 5/8" plywood so he wouldn't screw-up the vinyl!) Reckless 288 I have EVERYTHING but A/C. My wife and I were the only ones in the boat, 5/8 tank of gas, collapsable cooler (1/2 full), empty head,and an empty fresh water tank. Like I said, conditions were perfect. Up until Sunday everytime I wanted to go fast I would pull the K-planes up all-the-way and actually use the rocker panel to trim past the pre-set thumb switch trim setting set by Sunsation (the more trim-more speed theory). I would get a violent chine walk so I would back out of the throttle never hitting the top speed in the process. Sunday I pulled the planes up and trimmed up to the max limit using only the throttle switch, no chine walk, perfect attitude (I guess I should just listen to Dave). When I'm in a "V" I'm not a top speed hound, in fact I'm still not comfortable with the feeling of a "V" after almost a year out of my 25' SXT Warlock/Blackhawk drive cat. We do most of our cruizing at Lake Powell but I do like the occasional BLAST at Lake Havasu!! We love the room in the big "V" and me being the anal-nitpicker that I am have not found one flaw in the quality of the Sunsation product (and that says alot coming from me!!!!!!)

Old 01-16-2002, 01:14 PM
KN
Registered

Hey az dominator those are encouraging numbers, maybe on a cold day with low fuel and labbed 30's she'll run 85 on GPS that would be impressive. Let me konw if you try the labbed 30's and with what results. And I will do the same. Have you had any other trouble with the 496 Mags I've heard there has been a few other recalls for little things.

Kirk
Old 01-16-2002, 02:31 PM
AZDominator

Kirk, That pushrod problem really p$%#ed me off!!!! I actually broke one on a Sunday, called Merc on Monday, received the recall on Thursday. Would I have gotten the recall if I hadn't called???? I have recall letters for the problem of "not being able to shut off the motors with the key" waiting on my workbench. I have to call Merc and find out exactly what the fix is to that problem. My motors were not identified as having the fuel system recall. Otherwise the engines run great. Consistent engine temps, oil pressure, great starting, idle, and fuel effecient for twins in a 32 foot boat (some of which can be attributed to a great hull). I do need to try the lab 30's before I buy. I would not buy any other manufactures props based on many of the prop test I've read throughout the years, Merc seems to have a handle on overall performance.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:31 PM
KN
Registered

az dominator

I here what you are saying about the Mercury props. I wonder what their policy is on returning props if your not happy with them.
I saw on the Hydromotive web site they will exchange props if you are not happy with them, if they are in original condition.
I would hate to dish out that kind of money on the Merc. props and not have them be an improvement. The consensus on this board is that York Propellers are the best place to have the props labbed.

Kirk
Old 01-18-2002, 12:21 AM
stingray

Thumbs up

Thanks AZ for the good info. 82-83 with stock props is pretty impressive.

KN, the rev-limiter info is located in the large white engine installer's guide that came with operation manual on page 9.