Need opinions please... >

Need opinions please...

Notices

Need opinions please...

Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions please...

Some of you may know that I have been on the prowl for an upgrade. Since I wanted to be in the 32-33' range, after a thorough review I have decided that Sunsation has the best package out there for me.

'06 was the first year of the Dominator SS which yields the new bottom design and is the preferred model for me as it is slightly faster. However, I can't find one that meets my budget requirements as they are still reltively new. On the other hand, I have found an '05 Dominator that I really like within my price range. However, here is my dilemma;

When I decide to upgrade again, I am worried I may have difficulty selling this boat because there will be other used ones out there, similarily priced, with a faster bottom (SS). Do you think this will be a problem? Either I get the one I want now, or wait another year and find a used SS that falls within my budget. Thoughts? Thanks in advance...
Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: Need opinions please...

OTH,

Im in a very similar situation as yourself and have considered upgrading to a SS as recently as a week ago (Ft. Lauderdale Show), but I decided not to for a couple reasons.

I currently own an 04 Sunsation 288 and I am very happy with it. The 05 hull for the 288 was enhanced as well and is a bit faster then the 04 model, however I have not seen that affect the resell value of the boat. Does it? Perhaps, but I would not think significiantly.

I choose not to upgrade at this time for a couple of reasons, but one thing I strongly considered was that I felt the 288 would still retain its value a year or even two from now.

With that said, both the Dominator and SS have different performance, handling and ammenity charicteristics and if you can I would try to spend some time on both and base your decision on that. I like the Dom, but the wife likes the SS cabin and im sure I could live with the extra mph.

Either way they are both great boats and you will not be disappointed in either and you never know, there might be a new hull design in a year or two anyway.

I hope that helps in some way.

Jack
Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,023 Likes on 540 Posts

Jack,

Agree with all of that except the speed part. The SS is 600 lbs more plus can carry 50 gallons of extra fuel (more weight)and isn't a pad bottom. So in theory it could be a mile or two faster in rougher water but on flatter water the Dominator might be able to run equal to the new SS or even faster!

Mike who built the SS 525 boat also noted the SS tends to be windy for the rear passengers but it didn't seem to be as bad in his former Dominator. I don't ride back there so for me the wind isn't a problem! I only need to run faster than a certain 288 496 HO boat anyway
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I only need to run faster than a certain 288 496 HO boat anyway
LOL, wonder who that is? I got a few "winter projects" that I hope help that problem..
Old 11-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Jack,

Agree with all of that except the speed part. The SS is 600 lbs more plus can carry 50 gallons of extra fuel (more weight)and isn't a pad bottom. So in theory it could be a mile or two faster in rougher water but on flatter water the Dominator might be able to run equal to the new SS or even faster!

Mike who built the SS 525 boat also noted the SS tends to be windy for the rear passengers but it didn't seem to be as bad in his former Dominator. I don't ride back there so for me the wind isn't a problem! I only need to run faster than a certain 288 496 HO boat anyway
There was 3 MPH difference in the Dominator vs. the SS I've been in with 496 MAG HO's. The SS has a 145 gal tank vs. 110 in the Dominator. Both boats had full fuel and the SS had one additional passenger. So the SS was carrying more overall weight and was still faster. Both runs were on Lake St. Clair in similar weather.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 11-07-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
There was 3 MPH difference in the Dominator vs. the SS I've been in with 496 MAG HO's. The SS has a 145 gal tank vs. 110 in the Dominator. Both boats had full fuel and the SS had one additional passenger. So the SS was carrying more overall weight and was still faster. Both runs were on Lake St. Clair in similar weather.
You forgot the part about almost dying in the dominator versus the safe ride in the SS. And smooth, all except for that one wake that jarred me enough to feel it for 2 weeks.

I agree with K4M, plus I think there is more to think about in the 32 model change versus the 288 model change. The 288 merely added a full step and a few cosmetics. The SS added a whole new bottom with significant changes in freeboartm headroom, head compartment besides a very different handling and performing boat. That could mean an issue at resale.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
You forgot the part about almost dying in the dominator versus the safe ride in the SS. And smooth, all except for that one wake that jarred me enough to feel it for 2 weeks.

I agree with K4M, plus I think there is more to think about in the 32 model change versus the 288 model change. The 288 merely added a full step and a few cosmetics. The SS added a whole new bottom with significant changes in freeboartm headroom, head compartment besides a very different handling and performing boat. That could mean an issue at resale.
Yes, but the near-death experience had nothing to do with the boat! The fact that the Dominator is so forgiving saved our butts!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Yes, but the near-death experience had nothing to do with the boat! The fact that the Dominator is so forgiving saved our butts!
That is a fact, we probably would have been in some serious crap in some other boats.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

I will help you spend Lisa's $$$ at the Miami show for sure.

On a boat or on the bar tap.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Registered

I may need to can Miami and hang onto that extra $3k....think I am going to need it!!!