400 Hours... Problems? >

400 Hours... Problems?

Notices

400 Hours... Problems?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Hours... Problems?

Hey all- new to go-fasts and currently looking hard at 32 Dominators w/ 496ho's or 35' fountains with similar power. Saw a nice looking '02 32 dominator in the classifieds, but owner states 400 hours on the motors. I want a turn-key boat with reliable power but wanted everyone's opinion regarding this many hours. I need to talk to the owner to find out what kind of use the boat saw, but just trying to get a feel for what it would cost me to freshen these motors and drives if they need it. Would greatly appreciate everyone's opinions as I think it will help me in making the future decision- thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Registered

If the motors have been serviced and maintained properly this should not be a problem at all. I would have the ECM flashed and a compression check done on the motor. You can see how hard the motor has been run in the past and the compression check will let you know where the motor stands today. Those motors are basically bullitt proof and are built to keep from killing themselves. Good Luck with your search.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered

Thanks for the heads up on that. If I hired a guy to do a survey on the boat before I made the trip out there (it's in southwestern IL) would the procedure you just described be standard protocol? Gotta love modern EFI systems. It's great that you don't just have to take people's word anymore. Hopefully he just did a lot of cruising- guess we'll just have to see!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Generally surveyors will only look at the condition of the hull itself. You may need to find a local mechanic that will go through the motors and drives for you. A reputible surveyor should have a connection on a good mechanic for you.
Good luck, with only 400 hours those motors should be good to go!!!
If you have the hull number, the Sunsation factory will look up the file on the boat and let you know if any warranty or documented work has been done on it!!!