Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
"Spring Cleaning" Pictures >

"Spring Cleaning" Pictures

Notices

"Spring Cleaning" Pictures

Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 AM
Bayley

Default "Spring Cleaning" Pictures

A few misc. pictures of the work done to the Dom. over the Spring. Took out the CD player and replaced it with a better GPS. The radio was moved into the cabin. Waiting for the new Clarion unit to arrive with remote control that will be mounted somewhere in the helm. Most likely where the old GPS was.
Had the side bolsters shortened to match up the moved forward hatch. Everything looks stock again. Also have a few pictures of the new IMCO tilting hydraulic helm unit and the remounted voltage gauges. Final shakedown this Saturday, then it's off the lake!!!

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b3033d4005f0

Old 05-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All very nice. Dump the speedo pick-up and get a GPS speedo head.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Bayley

Yeah, got a feeling that will be coming down the road soon. Just not sure if I am willing to sacrafice the 5 mph yet

Old 05-08-2002, 02:25 PM
rick32

Bayley,
I love the GPS position.... I am sold ! It look *****en....I am having it done NEXT ! The stereo on mine is already inside, but the controler unit is where the stereo on the outside is mounted. I'll have to move that probley someplce closer to the helm.....

Great job........

Rick32

What kind of GPS is that ? model #

Old 05-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Bayley

Rick,
Thanks for the compliments. Iwasn't sure if I was going to pull this one off or not. The old hole for the radio was just slightly wider than the footprint for the new GPS. I eventually put some window weatherstripping under the GPS and the gap is completely covered. You shouldn't have that problem if you never had your radio installed there before.

The GPS is a Standard Horizon 160 Chart Plotter. I had one of the Original Horizon GPS units and it was the biggest piece of schit I have ever seen. It was sent back to the manufacturer four times for software upgrades. It would always come back with the same problems. About every 20 minutes, the old GPS would piss it's pants, lock up, forget where it was, then plot my position about 50 miles off the coast of Nigeria (0 degrees lat / long). If I ever go boating in Africa, at least I'll know where I'm at.

I guess the people at Standard / Horizon got sick of support this unit that was obviously a piece of crap from the start... so they just happily sent me a brand new unit in the mail... FREE!!! Not sure how well this one is going to work, but appears pretty popular so It's got to be better than what I had before. One cool thing about the new unit, was that they gave me a sticker to use as a cutting template. Came in very handy when it was time to bust out the jig saw.

-Bayley