Trans? outdrive? towed in :( >

Trans? outdrive? towed in :(

Notices

Trans? outdrive? towed in :(

Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans? outdrive? towed in :(

So took off from port huron today, headed south to metro beach for a little ride. ran 50-60 mph the hole time. stopped in at metro, idle around there and took off heading home. was running 40mph when i felt a hickup, so i started to let off and then shut it down because i smelt gear oil. Felt the drive it was cold, looked under the hatch and the only thing i noticed was the drive oil bottle was full of bubbles. I went to start it, and as it cranked i can fell the steering wheel turn, as if i was starting it in gear and the torque of the motor was moving the drive. It finally starts after laboring to do so, i put in forward and revirse but nothing. with some ugly sounds from trans or something. I can spin the prop without a problem, no weird sounds. motor runs fine.

Is this as simple as a cable issue or something worse like a clutch pack or something?

What can look for to help determine the problem?

Secondly any suggestions on good, reasonable mechanics?

Thanks and sorry for such a long description.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the boat now? If it's still near Metro Beach Jim at Propeller Basin marina is very good (near 23 mile and Jefferson), and very reasonable. His work is meticulous, and if you don't need the boat back right away he will generally work with you on the cost. He can usually get a job done fast, but it'll cost you more.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little late on the reply butt Propeller Basin is a great place to go for most boating needs