MCOB, how useful is that space? >

MCOB, how useful is that space?

Notices

MCOB, how useful is that space?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MCOB, how useful is that space?

I like the design of the MCOB but have to wonder how useable that space really is. I rode in an open bow this past weekend and loved it when we were just going 30 or so. Once you start going fast it's hard on the eyes, even with sunglasses on (or maybe that is just me). So before taking the plunge I'm hoping for a few insights on the pluses and minuses of MCOB.
TIA

Last edited by ZeroG; 06-11-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Well... Factory sticker says no one in the bow above 5mph. However it's no different than a motorcycle as far as wind. It's very usable space. I had as many as 11 on my 288 and 6 on my 32 is tight. 6 adults and three kids is a patience tester. Even with the kids in the cuddy. Next boat will be a 36mcob. However, with two 2yr old kids this is the right boat for us now. Can't go wrong with a mcob
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are going on a poker run...it is useless. But so is a closed bow. If you are having a slow easy cruise day, you can invite a lot more friends. On holiday weekends I invite a lot more friends and let them ride there going slow. If I'm going fast, no way.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

This will start a "discussion" I'm sure, but it's the most vulnerable place on the boat when it comes to riding at speed.
Why?
The bow of the boat is going to see more air (vertical movement when riding) than the cockpit. Jayboat was hurt bad in a slowspeed wave hop in a CC a couple years back. I can't imagine the same in an open-bow at speed. I know I'd be driving the boat differently with people in the bow vs. not; but surprises happen.

And goodness forbid the boat stuffs when you have passengers up there.

That's why the sticker is on the Sunsations.
I do like the layouts and the ability to really show off custom craftsmanship like Sunsation does in these boats; best execution I have seen of the MCOB design.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It all depends on what you want to use your boat for. Closed bow is better if you want to go fast a lot. Open bow can handle more people and is more family friendly. Both have comparable cabins. You can convert the open bow into a sleeping area with optional filler cushions. We even have had canvas covers made with 2 rails to hold it up so you can sleep up there with the cover on. It all comes down to your personal choice. Both styles run great. I have sat in the open bow at 80+ mph and it is intense. We do highly recommend to stay under 5 mph with anyone up front.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a 2014 MCOB and love it. I rode a few folks in front, but only for a short burst of speed no more than 40 mph. However, while relaxing in the bay or something, the extra space is great. Kick the women up front, then I have the rest of the boat.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

I've had 4 open bows. They are great for river or small lake cruises when the water is glass or slight wind chop. Anything above that people move to the cockpit area. 35 MPH or below is usually fairly comfortable for front passengers as far as wind is concerned. IMPO, open bows are for runabouts not performance/offshore style boats.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've had 4 open bows. They are great for river or small lake cruises when the water is glass or slight wind chop. Anything above that people move to the cockpit area. 35 MPH or below is usually fairly comfortable for front passengers as far as wind is concerned. IMPO, open bows are for runabouts not performance/offshore style boats.
I have the front seat of the CC reserved for you for the shoot out this year.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I have the front seat of the CC reserved for you for the shoot out this year.
Negative, Ghostrider.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Negative, Ghostrider.
I'm tempted to offer myself up for this experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.