Sagging 288 MCOB Headliner Help >

Sagging 288 MCOB Headliner Help

Notices

Sagging 288 MCOB Headliner Help

Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging 288 MCOB Headliner Help

I have a 2003 Sunsation 288 MCOB with a Headliner starting to come loose. I know its a common problem, but need some help on fixing it. I would like to do it myself at the end of the season. Is there anyone out there that has done these before. An email to Joe at sunsation informed me that the whole interior of the cabin needs to be removed. I dont know how to do that, or where to start. ANY help would be great! Also, If there is anyone near southwest Wisconsin that can do it for me, I would bring it to you. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

It's a nightmare. I did mine 2 years ago and all I can say is email me with any tips you got so I can redo mine
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Registered

What makes it such a nightmare? Never done it before so don't know?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Registered

Normally the people at Sunsation are very helpful, but they didn't really want to give me any direction...other than tell me to take it all apart. I don't know where all the fasteners are, the order things should be removed, etc. Had a Sunsation Dealer in the south tell me that it would be a $2000 job at retail...so I know its bad. ALSO..anyone know where I can get sensation Decals? Sunsation does a great job of marketing their Boats, but its hard to find Accessories (Keychains/Apparel/Decals/Coozies/etc.) Baja used to do a great job...lots of Tow Rigs had Baja Decals on the back window.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitchler T can make you any decal you need. Just give him a call with colors and sizes. As far as the headliner, I don't have a clue but good luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the headliner myself, It was not hard just time consuming. The hard part is locating all the screws for disassemble. It took me almost 3 days to do it but that was on a closed bow. There really isn't any pointers any one can give you besides just get in it and start looking for screws and removing them. I used thinner and a wire wheel on a drill to get all the excess glue and headliner material off.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

I don't know how the Sunsations are constructed, so I don't know if this would work.
But, can you remove all of the exposed headliner; and replace just that portion? Then install a piece of trim, like starboard or similar around the perimeter of the ceiling? You could get creative here and incorporate LEDs or rope lighting around the ceiling here at this juncture too.

I'm NEVER one to half-ass things, but if there is a better way, I do try to investigate.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-28-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is what I have done a bunch of times on varies cuddy apps. Sometimes take the hatch off bottom side from inside the cuddy cabin and sometimes not. Anyways I cut the headliner dead center middle or outside on both sides of the headliner with a sharp razor knife all the way to whatever area needs to be re glued or the whole length of the header liner. It just all depends.

Clean the areas up by hand for prep. Re glue the areas with spray 3M super adhesive glue and press & roll (new paint roller small size) to smooth out attach headliner. I use telephone books or whatever that size against the liner and support poles to hold the liner in place till the glue is completely driy.

To cover up my razor cut line(s) of headliner - I have my interior shop make a 3 inch wide of matching vinyl interior piece cut to length. I use industrial Velcro attach to the inside of the 3 inch matching vinyl interior piece and the head liner right where cut it is the whole length. Attach the vinyl to the headliner. I now have a removable section for down the road if I ever have to get back under there again. It looks like the headliner came that way from the factory if you never seen it before. Hope this make sense.

Last edited by BUP; 07-28-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The problem is the friggin padding UNDER the actual headliner begins to disintegrate and nothing will stick to it without more of it falling apart. I've taken a syringe and blasted 3M glue into mine in several spots and then worked the sags to the outside edges, but that doesn't look the greatest or last very long.