Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
That 32' - 500 HP's w/ whipples ! >

That 32' - 500 HP's w/ whipples !

Notices

That 32' - 500 HP's w/ whipples !

Old 09-05-2002, 10:42 PM
rick32

Default That 32' - 500 HP's w/ whipples !

Please tell all ! ........ EVERYTHING !
very curious....
Rick 32

Old 09-06-2002, 07:30 AM
Bayley

The guy was pretty cool. He was from HTG Marine out of upstate New York somewhere. A real do-it-yourselfer. And with that kit, he had better be. The old school Whipped 500’s, are even tighter fits than my 454 / 502 EFI setup. He too had to move around the bolsters and trim some interior piece to get them to fit. But alas, he did get it done so it is very possible.

He claimed that when he first got the kit, he was sent the wrong pulley’s and only pulled about 3-4 psi of boost (WOT). On a dry 70 degree day, he hit an even 100 mph with these boost levels. Then, he was sent the “correct” pulley’s for 6 psi of boost. On a steamy 85 degree day, he hit 101 mph. It sounds like there is more to be had. He has been playing around with all sorts of props all summer and we talked quite a bit about prop selections. He felt my setup was a good 2 – 4 mph slower than what I should be seeing (I agree) and that a better set of props would do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails That 32' - 500 HP's w/ whipples !-whipplehps1.jpg  

Old 09-06-2002, 07:31 AM
Bayley

Another one...

P.S. Rick, I thought I already e-mailed you these pictures? I Didn't? Shame on me!
Attached Thumbnails That 32' - 500 HP's w/ whipples !-whipplehps2.jpg  

Old 09-06-2002, 12:28 PM
rick32

Ya know,,,, something is fishy.....

He should really be seeing much more than that....after all when you add up the HP gain ,,, its almost like adding a whole additional 500 EFI engine..... My guess ( only a guess ) is that he should be seeing 105mph - 108mph..... But at that point with the hull.... you really be driving the hell out it.........

Man, I wish I had three more feet minum on the 32"...... then you could really start addressing serious HP gains....

NOTE TO SUNSATION FACTORY : WE WANT A BIGGER BOAT !

Smiles,
RIck

Old 09-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Bayley

:"NOTE TO SUNSATION FACTORY : WE WANT A BIGGER BOAT !"

I can still hear the echo's from the Owners Rally of Joe chanting "big boat - big boat - big boat". They are listening at the factory, that's for sure.

As for the speed issue, not surprised that his just scratching the century mark (which is quite an achievement... not cutting it down any). The Whipped 500 EFI's make maybe 700 hp on a good day. Especially the older style. My 600 hp 454 mag kit dyno'd out at a short 550 hp. And that was in the "perfect conditions" dyno room. Even with my 550 hp motors, I should be seeing mid 90's easily. To date, the best GPS speed has been 91.0 mph. I've heard claims all over the place about speeds well into the 90's with stock 500's. Not sure if I Can eat that one. The majority of people I've talked to say between 83 and 86 mph GPS. But there always is one or two guys that claim 92 or 93 mph. I know Joe has been trying like hell to break the 90 mark with his 32' equipped with HP's. I seem to remember a post from Dave about a lot of little tricks they did to finally pull off that magic number (no silent choice, no fridge, empty cabin, 1/16th tank of gas, 40 degree November morning, etc....)

To hit 100 mph with Whipped HP's is an accomplishment. That's over 10 mph increase for less than 200 hp per motor. I think you (Rick) need to buck up for those Sterlings you keep talking about

-Bayley

Old 09-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Sunsation 32

My boat with 500hp's will hit 90 on gps. Thats not consistent, it just bumps it. It'll run 88 consistently on gps. When somebody asks how fast it is I just say 88. And that is with more than a 1/16 of a tank of gas. More like 3/4 of a tank. In my opinion, the boat is alot more user friendly in the rough with more gas in it.

Old 09-10-2002, 06:20 PM
rick32

STERLINGS...... laughs.....

Man I am waiting this out for the big boy then we can start talking big power / big drive combination..... Out here in teh Pacific with taht much HP in a 32'... I'd run out of boat !! ****...
I learned that on the hard way....

I hope the new Sunsation runs as well in the rough as the Cig 42 Tiger.... That thing moves really well in the summer chop & swell out here and its a battleship- In fact the way the Tiger's bow is and the way it sits the water... *** Damn thing looks like a Sunsation...

So ... Cant wait to see our new big boy coming to pond near you .... ! Right Dave ?

Vroom, Vroom,
Rick32

Old 09-10-2002, 09:03 PM
checkmate981

I loved that boat.
htg was staying at the same place we were staying at in the 1000 islands.He looked good in the run .We were thinking of buying A 28 before I saw the 32.
Dave