Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
Left hand on 288?? >

Left hand on 288??

Notices

Left hand on 288??

Old 07-15-2003, 09:26 PM
daveb

On flat water over 70mph gps my 288 will get into it's own rhythm or chine walk. This was very hard for me to control the boat at first, when the boat falls off its pad you must be steering it back before it falls. It's been a full yr. and i'm just getting the feel of the boat and steering right. for me it took alot of seat time, and i need more but can drive it in the upper 70s. In choppy water stable at all speeds....more additional insight..

Old 07-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hey guys, I had 1997 23'3" scarab with the 502MPI ran over 70 all the time never chine walk. Had it 5 years great boat. Daveb and kanookstr do you have the hydrolic steering on your boats? Sory to hear about your motor kanookstr.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:53 AM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well things are looking real good for the engine (fingers Crossed)
The engine builder I deal with for all My machine work, just informed me that I need 2 pistons, and complete ring set. The heads are 100%, but he's throwing in a set of new valve seals.
I dropped the engine of Wed. night, he had it torned down by 11:00 am thursday, and today (friday) he called me to inform me he had all the parts, and I can pick up the short block Monday afternoon!!!!
So It looks like I'll have my baby back for my 2 weeks Vaca starting next Saturday (fingers crossed)
Old 07-18-2003, 01:16 PM
daveb

Imco single ram hyd.steering. It made the drive very solid, but noticed little help on stabilty. Kanookstr is your drive stock, wondering how it was handling hp.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:31 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Yes my drive is stock, except for a billet drive cap, with built in shower. I also run redline oil, and a teaspoon of Prolong additive.
I had 3 seasons on the old boats outdrive with no problems. It's all in how you drive. Hole shots, and re-entries with out pulling back on the throttle really hurts the drives
Old 08-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Ric232

Wow, I'm disappointed to hear about the handling. I just saw the 288 mid-cabin in person for the first time this past weekend. I was convinced that it would be my next boat (moving up from a Baja 232). Now I'm not so sure.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:46 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Don't be so quick to put the Sunsation down on handling Ric232, All boats handle different at high Speeds. Just in the short time sense my last post on this thread, I had just a little more seat time, and I gained alot more experiance and control I never owned a boat with a pad, and it took getting use to. It's the same for alot of boats. But now I love the ride even more. Those 80+ MPH runs are a pleasure to ride now A close friend of mine with a BAJA H2X had serious handling problems when he went over 75 MPH, Now after seat time (and hydrolic Steering)he's going around 80 MPH. Good luck on your search for your next boat, and give the Sunsation a try first, You'll be impressed
Old 07-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Registered

Default Re: Left hand on 288??

News to Note;

We put a new hull under the 288 for 2005 for the specific reasons every one is talking about here. It's a small single step and COMPLETELY removed the ill handling at upper speeds, also eliminated the slight porpoise in flat water.

While the 288 has been an Excellent boat over the years, it was going faster and faster every year due to better drives, more horsepower, props, etc. and certainly was a needed change.

Also for 2005, new Fairing, New Dash Panels, Standard Monster Gauges, More Leg Room, Glovebox, Cabin Lighting, etc.

We’re always moving forward to Exceed Your Expectations !!

Any questions, please give us a call.

DaveSunsation
810-794-4888
Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Registered

i have the new 288 hull with 525efi/its steering 78 mph on gps calm water i get
little chime walk.boat rides better than any other 28 footer out their

i use this boat on lake winnie in newhampshire.
its a rough lake with lots of boat wake in every direction.
this boat handles it awesome no shakes/rattles/solid as a rock
im very happy with the strenght of this boat . one test ride in rough water
and you will buy one.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Registered

I also have a new full stepped 05 288 and am very happy overall with the boats handling and performance, and sunsations customer service made the purchase even easier. With an H.O. Im seeing speeds in the low 70's. The only thing I'm not too thrilled about is that after only 14 hours, I have a stress cracks forming in the corners of my fairing.. waiting at this point to see if they get any worse...

Quick Reply: Left hand on 288??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.