When will the new 38 be ready

Notices

When will the new 38 be ready

Old 09-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: When will the new 38 be ready

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Are there any sketches/graphics of the boats looks that are different than the one in the brochure the past year? With the wider cockpit, what is the beam expected to be and will there be chance to order an optional straight transom with the bolt-on platform?

Also, what about the 366 or 377 or whatever it will turn out to be? What differences are we talking sans the length?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I know Dave plans to put some pictures out at some point, but I believe they have a lot of body finishing to do before that. The beam is supposed to remain 8'6". But if you look at a PowerPlay they have a walkway around the side, much like a Sonic. When you take that off and smooth those sides to look like a dominator, it allowed them to split the cockpit mold down the middle, and widen it 4 inches. They had already done that when I was there a couple weeks ago. The mold for the cokpit is really deep, similar to an Active Thunder 37AVH, but I believe even a bit deeper. I am 6'2" and could stand up right where you enter the cabin. Once you walk in to where the windscreen meets the deck, I had to start ducking. I didn't measure it but my guess is it was still near 5 1/2 feet. My wife is only 5'3" and I believe she will be able to walk all the way to the front V-birth without ducking down. But there was a lot of bracing in the boat under the deck so I really couldn't tell for sure. But one thing for sure - it is one deep boat.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Registered

Great information. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Registered

O.K. that information is great, and welcome Mentalpause. It's great to hear an outsiders opinion. Dave, I'm sure once this boat is finished it will be a sensational boat! I don't think Sunsation would let it leave the plant if it wasn't. That was never a concern of mine.

Sounds like alot of changes out side of the running surface of the hull. This makes sense.

I guess I'll just have to wait till you guys unveil her!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:43 AM
Registered

Jeff, you asked about the materials used. PowerPlay uses a foam coring versus a bulsa coring. Last time I talked to Wayne I asked the same question you are asking, and Wayne was planning to use the Sunsation laminate schedule.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Registered

Rick,

The 366 will come about much like the 288 Sunsation did out of the 32 Dominator. Once the 409 is completed we'll cut one up and make the 366, that will take a while to get to, gotta build a bunch of the 409's first and move to the new facility, then we'll start on that.

DaveSunsation
Old 09-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Wayne was planning to use the Sunsation laminate schedule.
Jesh, you know I've owned mine for over three years now, and I don't know the hull lay up! Even toured the factory last summer, and seen them build first hand. But forget. What is it?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Registered

I can't give you specific details on laminate schedule, but I believe they use a balsa coring, 1/2 inch in the hull sides and deck, and 3/4 inch for the running surface. Dave certainly can provide more details, or you can go to their web site, www.sunsationboats.com, go to the news articles link, and some of those hotboat and powerboat articles will have laminate schedule information in them.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

DaveSunsation...Please explain to us what you mean, when you say the PP 38' is a "proven" hull. I have not seen the 38's race history anywhere & very few have been delivered. Thank-you. Ed

Last edited by Ed; 09-21-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered

Ed,

Sorry if I was vague; I wasn't necessarily speaking about racing, we spoke with a number of owners, magazine test drivers, other manufactures, engine builders and of course Wayne spending much test time behind the wheel of one. Not one person had a negative comment on that hull bottom. We found everything “we” wanted in a hull bottom as the platform to build from. Hope this helps clear up any misunderstanding but please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sorry it took a couple days to get back with you, I left for Florida Wednesday morning and wont get back till next Wednesday and getting online where I'm staying is a chore, I'm checking when I can.

Quick Reply: When will the new 38 be ready

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.