Need a measurement on a 288 >

Need a measurement on a 288

Notices

Need a measurement on a 288

Old 03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a measurement on a 288

Since nobody answered my cam question and my boat is in PA. can someone give me the measurement from the front of the water pump pulley on a 496 to the inside front of the rear bench seat,,,, I.E. if the far plywood rear bench support were removed to the inside part that the seat itself is mounted to. Any help would be appreciated..
Old 03-13-2005, 05:30 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Default Re: Need a measurement on a 288

I would think Joe or someone at Sunsation would be able to answer that question for you Chris with just a phone call.
I have the 502 but I no longer have a water pump. otherwise I would go out and give you my dimensions. I could probably get you a dimension from the timing chain cover to the seat if you rather that?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Thanks Claude,,, trying to decide if i'm doing cam and heads,, tough because the boat isn't here..
Old 03-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Registered

Chris,

8 Inches is that clearance according to the Bear Master out on the floor.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered

Thanks Dave, sounds like I need to pull out the whole rear bench to remove the cam..
Old 03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DaveSunsation
Chris,

8 Inches is that clearance according to the Bear Master out on the floor.
That sounds about correct to the very back of the seat, but if you remove that part, you gain another 12" - 16" or so.
You might just have enough room with that removed.
Chris, you should post your question another way, and in the tech part of the main forums.

Like,
" How much clearance is needed in front of the 496 to swap a cam?"
Old 03-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Registered

Claude,, I talked to Ray at Raylar he said you need 18 inches in front of the water pump cover to remove the cam,,, like I said without the boat here its difficult for me to find out these dimensions.. Thanks agian Chris.

I'm also looking around for somebody who can install the heads and cam at a reasonable price.. ???
Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

I'll take a measurement for you this weekend Chris. I know what your trying to do, and I can give you a measurement from the chain cover to the front part of the rear seat after removing the rear part. I think you will have more than 18" but let me check.

You might want to look into a few other things as well.
After changing the heads, you'll most likely need different length push rods, and just maybe different lifters depending on how tall the cam is. The push rods aren't to much, but lifters will run over $300 for hyd roller. And maybe the most important thing of all will be better flowing exhaust, other wise the cam and heads will be a waste of money. I don't know what you have for exhaust now, but anything less than Gil type manifolds or headers will have to be upgraded. Especially if you have the stock Merc cast iron ones...Any performance place will tell you if the engine doesn't have adequate exhaust flow it can't take the full benefits of the cam and heads you just spent good money on. Just FYI
Old 04-10-2005, 03:46 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Sorry it took this long Chris, today I had time to messure that for you. You have 29" from the timing chain cover to the front part of the seat with the rear partition removed. you should have no problems doing a cam swap. good luck.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Registered

Thanks very much Claude,,, was supposed to pick up my boat saturday,, dealer called friday night and said it wasn't done,, boat was there since november and they wait until 2 weeks before I'm supposed to pick it up to 2 day my tips to eddie marine for repair,, then Joe from Sunsation calls me up and wants to know why the marina is charging him 200.00 to have some exhaust flappers fixed,, well if the marina didn't wait 5 months until march to send out my tips they could have shipped them regular freight and saved Sunsation a small fortune in shipping charges to CA..

Quick Reply: Need a measurement on a 288

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.