Old 08-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reggieville Articles

Friday, August 5, 2005
Local News

World's fastest boats return

By LAWRENCE KEECH, Staff Writer

Reggie Fountain has nothing left to prove when it comes to speed on the water, yet the boat builder has opened his arms -- and his factory -- to his competitors as Fountain Powerboats prepares to host the Fountain Super Boat International 2005 Grand Prix this weekend.

"Fountains own all the world speed records at this time," said Fountain, the company's founder, president and CEO. "Since we own all the records, and we don't think anyone running is capable of beating what we have, we are giving them the chance to try to equal our mark."

Fountain recently recorded a world record of 171 miles per hour -- but he is quick to point out "that we went 177 miles per hour in a one-way trip, but our average was 171."

To establish a record, boat speeds are averaged over a two-way trip through a 1-kilometer straightaway. Fountain has set up such a course in the Pamlico River for a Friday morning run.

"There will be some Fountain boats competing," he said. "Trying to improve their records in some categories and there may be some that can set records in other classes."

Fountain competes primarily in the Super V, Factory I and Factory II division, with his 171 mark coming in Super V.

"Super V is to boat racing what the NEXTEL cars are to NASCAR," Fountain explained. "We will be racing in Sunday's races, however."

Time trials are scheduled from 7 a.m. to noon Friday. Race testing will be held Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the pit area will be open during the same times, in the parking lot adjacent to the factory on Whichard's Beach Road. Also taking place at the same time is the Down East Rods and Classics Car Show.

Racing will take place on Sunday with two different races, one beginning at 1 p.m. the other at 3 p.m.

Admission to Whichard's Beach is $5 -- anyone under 5 years old will be admitted free.

"But if you have a boat, you are welcome to anchor on the north side of the river, and the course is visible from homes all along Washington Park, from (the) Fountain Powerboats factory running 2.5 miles down river to the east end of the course," Fountain noted. "The only place you are charged to visit is Whichard's Beach, but it is the best place to view the racing action. It's right in the center of the course.

"Racing in these races will be the current world and national champions, and if you want to keep up with the play-by-play action, it will be broadcast on AM 930, on the radio."

Approximately 50 boats are entered to race. Fountain said each boat brings a crew of 10 to 15.

"We're expecting about 500 to 600 people just with the crews," he explained. "These people are coming from all over the country and are buying gas, food, lodging and will blow over a million dollars while they are here over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

"You're looking at even more people for the car show & RV show, then you add in the spectators and the total impact could be as many as 20,000 people."

Fountain also noted the company's involvement, with employee volunteers.

"This is a big event for our family," Fountain said. "I say family, because each of our employees is like my extended family. We have $16 million in salaries and at the end of June 2005, we had $71 million in total volume and we kept every penny we could here, with a few exceptions for materials that are not available. We are committed to being here in Beaufort County, happy to be a part of the community and happy to be able to bring high-quality racing to the people of Beaufort County."
Old 08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Registered

Default Re: Reggieville Articles

Premier boat racing event heading for Pamlico

By Tony Castleberry, The Daily Reflector

Friday, August 05, 2005

WASHINGTON, N.C. – If you don't like fast, loud, high-horsepower machines racing on water, avoid Whichard's Beach this weekend.

But if you want to see the biggest, fastest powerboats in the world racing on the Super Boat International Productions/American Powerboats Association tour, Washington is the place to be this weekend.

Fountain Powerboats, headquartered in Washington, is hosting the fourth annual Fountain Powerboats Super Boat International Grand Prix , the seventh race of the SBIP/APBA series, on the Pamlico River. Spectators can view the races from Whichard's Beach, located at the end of Whichard's Beach Road in Washington.

The weekend begins this morning at 7 with the world record runs, where racers will try to set new speed records. And they'll need to be on top of their game to do it.

Last year, Fountain's team set five world speed records, including a 171.883 mph pace in its 40-foot Super Vee Unlimited. Records were also set in the Super Vee Limited (112.025), Superboat Vee (123.080), Super Vee Unlimited (171.004) and Super Vee (109.869).

Setting world records is nothing new for Fountain president Reggie Fountain. The boss says he isn't racing this year, but that shouldn't diminish the fun he'll have.

"I have, I think, as many as 10 Fountain boats racing so I sort of felt it's best to support all of them and not compete," Fountain said during an interview at Fountain headquarters Wednesday. "Quite frankly, I think we have enough good Fountain boats in the hands of the drivers and owners of those boats that I don't need to be out there competing with them. My customers can do it for me."

While he's not suiting up and racing this time around, Fountain should still be pretty busy. He has several teams entered in this weekend's event, which features seven different race classifications and will be run on a 6½-mile course on the Pamlico.

And although he says watching the races should be enjoyable, it probably won't compare to going full throttle in a 2,000-horsepower boat.

"I always miss being out there," Fountain said. "There's nothing like being out there and the excitement of the race.

"At the same time, I also get a lot of excitement out of watching the race and I want all the people in this community to be able to see all these boats run. They'll notice, I think, in most of the cases, Fountain boats will be up front in these races."

After Friday's speed record runs, Saturday's festivities will include the Down East Hot Rod and Classic Car Show at Fountain. All 65 of the boats entered in this weekend's races will also be on display as well from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sunday is when things get serious. The first set of Grand Prix races begins at 1 p.m. with the finals races slated for 3 p.m. An awards ceremony, scheduled for 6 p.m., will conclude the weekend's events.

In addition to the races and their importance on the SBIP/APBA circuit, Fountain also recognizes what the Grand Prix will do for his company, the city of Washington and eastern N.C. He said last year's event drew close to 50,000 spectators, who gathered at Whichard's Beach, Washington Park and lined the banks of the Pamlico as well as watching from their boats along the course.

For Fountain, a man who has made his fortune building and racing boats, the reason for the Grand Prix's popularity is clear.

"It's one of those things that creates a real charge in you," Fountain said. "When you see 20 boats start off with 1,000 or 2,000 horsepower per boat, you're talking about 20-30,000 horsepower all at one time and it makes a real sound. They go real fast, there's a lot of action and it's an exciting thing to see."
Old 08-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Registered

Greenville native helps set new speed boat record

By Tony Castleberry, The Daily Reflector

Saturday, August 06, 2005

WASHINGTON, N.C. – The fastest offshore racing boats in the world keep getting faster. And the fastest of the bunch is – not surprisingly – manufactured by Fountain Powerboats, located here and run by speedboat legend Reggie Fountain.

Team CRC set a Super Cat speed record during Friday's kilo runs on the Pamlico River at the fourth annual Fountain Powerboats Super Boat International Grand Prix. The boat, driven by owner Mike DeFrees and throttled by Greenville's Jeff Harris, recorded a top speed of 160.986 mph, eclipsing the old Super Cat mark of 160.256 mph.

Three other speed records fell during Friday's runs. The Deep V Cats boat recorded a 115.809 mph mark in the Superboat Stock division, squeaking past the old record of 115.755 mph. In the Super Vee category, the Instigator team clocked in at 112.730 mph, beating the previous record of 111.264 mph, and the old Factory 1 mark of 80.572 mph fell when the Velocity VR1 team turned in a speed of 80.95 mph.

The kilo runs kicked off this weekend's Grand Prix, the seventh stop on the Super Boat International Productions/American Powerboats Association Tour. Racing concludes on Sunday with team races at 1 and 3 p.m. Spectators can view the races from Whichard's Beach, Washington Park, from their boats in the Pamlico River or anywhere on the shoreline along the 6½-mile course.

Harris is hopeful that Friday's success in the kilo runs is a precursor for how the CRC (Columbia Rims Corporation) boat will run Sunday.

"We're looking forward the race on Sunday and hope we have a good race and don't break," Harris said. "It's great summertime fun down by the water. My kids are looking forward to seeing dad race and probably swim on the edge of the river."

If his kids want to catch a glimpse of Harris, they better have quick eyes because Team CRC was the fastest on the water Friday. The kilo runs are speed trials in which a boat has a one-kilometer stretch of water to reach its top speed. Harris and DeFrees steadily increased their speeds all day, going 140, 150, then 160 mph – a feat Harris says is a first for the Super Cats.

This was the ninth speed record for Harris, who entered his first boat race in 1979 at the tender age of 18. He started working at Fountain in 1983 and put in 20 years of service there. Harris got into offshore racing in 1997 and began racing full time with CRC last year. The decision was a good one, since CRC is currently well in front of the pack in the points standings.

But success is nothing new to Harris. He's been a part of three world championships and seven national titles in addition to the nine world speed records. His affinity for powerboats started early on as he watched Reggie Fountain break speed records on a regular basis while growing up in Greenville.

"When I was a kid, Reggie Fountain was a local hero," Harris said. "There was Reggie Fountain and (NASCAR legend) Richard Petty and Richard Petty lived way on the other side of the state.

"Reggie was a big-time hero," Harris added. "I've always looked up to him. His accomplishments have been incredible."

Now Harris, racing a Fountain boat, is accomplishing some pretty incredible feats himself. But Harris, DeFrees and Fountain didn't get to where they are by being satisfied with past feats.

To hear Harris tell it, the records set this weekend will only be temporary ones.

"Fountain is the dominant V-bottom (boat) and has been for years and years," Harris said. "The mark's always moving. You just can't be satisfied with what you just got through doing. It's what you're going to do next. That's what keeps us on the competitive edge."
Old 08-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Registered

Price of Boat Racing

WNCT-TV 9
Friday, August 5, 2005

"It’s not about the prize money it's about being the best at what you do." That's because the prize rarely ever goes over 5 thousand dollars. And for some it's not about how much money you get back but how much you can spend. "They say a boat is a whole that you pour money into these guys do it in dump trucks." Martin Sanborn is one of the vice presidents of fountain powerboats. He's been into the sport for years...he says nothing surprises him anymore. "It’s all about size. It’s all about having the biggest. The best...the most." So, that means bringing along more than just your high-end speedboat. Sanborn says many spend thousands...even millions on trailers...and charter buses. Some even bring along their own chef. "This is not for the meek of hearts either in the checkbook or in the ego or in the need for thrills department."

David Knight - another fountain boat VP and driver - says it' s the thrill that keeps him coming back. "It’s easy to make a car go fast or make an airplane go fast but making a boat go fast and efficient on the water is very challenging and the challenge is what attracts people to the sport." Even if the sport only pays back in pride.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Registered

Super Boat International culminates with numerous races on Sunday.

By Brandon Hughes, The Daily Reflector

Monday, August 08, 2005

WASHINGTON, N.C. – The roaring of engines echoed across the Pamlico River as the world's fastest boats sliced through the water - and sometimes out of it - at the Super Boat International 2005 Grand Prix on Sunday.

Spectators flocked to Whichard's Beach, Washington Park and along the 6½ mile course to view the race, which was the culmination of the three-day event hosted by Fountain Powerboats.

Washington was the seventh national stop on the Super Boat International Productions/American Powerboats Association Tour with races starting at 1 and 3 p.m. Team Warpaint took overall top honors and first place in the Super Boat Unlimited division with a time of 53:02 and a top speed of 93.32 mph in a 40-foot Apache speedboat with twin 1100-horsepower engines.

The Super Vee division was dominated by Fountain Powerboats, claiming the top three spots with Team Instigator notching it's first victory of the season just two days after setting a new world record in the kilo run.

"We went for the kilo, so we had to set the boat up a whole different way," driver Joe Sgro said. "We didn't think we were going to do it because it's a big boat, it's a new boat and we were still working on it, but we managed to pull off the kilo. Then we reset the boat overnight to run this race. It's a whole different setup. We were lucky enough to pick the setup two times right, which doesn't happen that often because there is always a lot of variables like the weather, the currents and the boats that you're racing."

The Instigator boat clocked in at 112.730 mph on Friday, beating the previous record of 111.264 mph.

"They're both equal," Sgro said of his team's two accomplishments. "The win was very good only because we haven't won a race since Miami of last year. We've had a 14-race dry spell and I've been racing 22 or 23 years and never had a season that I didn't take home a checkered flag. With this new boat, we knew we had one of the best boats out there and we didn't understand. We couldn't get it right, but now hopefully we're getting ahead of the curve and we should be able to see some more wins."

Team Showtime, driven by Mitch Miller and throttled by Bob Bull, captured the Super Cat title and Team CRC, driven by owner Mike DeFrees and throttled by Greenville native Jeff Harris, took first in the Super Boat division. Team CRC also broke the Super Boat world record in the kilo, turning in a 160.986 mph performance on Friday.

Team Mojo, Extreme Vortec, Talkin Tools and Velocity VR1 all won in their respective Super Boat Stock, Super Boat Vee Limited, Super Boat Factory 2 and Super Boat Factory 1 divisions.

Lightning Jacks, DF Young, Team Shamoo and Undecided outlasted the field in the Manufacturers Production P1, P2, P3 and P4 divisions.

With numerous speedboats jockeying for position at eye-popping speeds, there is always the possibility of injuries and Sunday's competition saw it's fair share of contact between these high-powered machines.

Team Undecided, driven by Robert Glover and throttled by his brother James Glover, avoided near disaster to come back and win the P4 division.

"We were coming into the turn hot and hit the first turn and came out good, but hit the second turn and came out really hot with five boats behind us," James said. "We hooked it a little bit and the boat went sideways on us and threw me into the hatch. I climbed back into the boat and through the intercom said 'hey, my arm is broke.' He asked if I was sure and I said 'yeah, it snapped and my shoulder hurts bad.' He asked me what I wanted to do and I said let's race."

Remarkably, the duo got the boat back on track to earn the checkered flag despite the intense pain Glover endured over the 39-mile race.

"By the third lap, I had tears in my eyes because it was hurting so bad and I was crying on the last lap. I couldn't see because of my eyes and I was in so much pain. I had to take my arm and stick it down between my leg against the seat."

"But for the checkered flag, it was worth it."

Speedboat legend and owner of Fountain Powerboats Reggie Fountain, along with the Outdoor Life Network, recognized the winners at an awards ceremony at the conclusion of the second race.

OLN will broadcast the event on Nov. 20 and re-air it through Nov. 24.

Panama City Beach, Fla., is the next stop on the schedule for the tour on Aug. 19-21.

The World Championship will then be held in Key West, Fla., on Nov. 13-20.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Registered

Monday, August 8, 2005
Local News

Boat races benefit businesses

By JONATHAN CLAYBORNE, News Editor

CHOCOWINITY -- A smiling Tyrone Wilson was clearly excited.

"It doubled my business," said Wilson, owner of Washington's Wilson Cleaning.

He was talking about the Fountain Super Boat Grand Prix, held over the weekend.

Wilson's crew was on hand to clean the racing boats.

"We try to give them mobile details to keep all the boats clean," he commented, gesturing to his hard-at-work employees.

As in years past, there was evidence Sunday local businesses were benefiting from the boat races.

Hotels and restaurants were expected to be full with about 50 racing teams in town, along with a huge number of spectators.

Last year, nearly every hotel room in Washington was occupied on race weekend, according to Gary Baltz, vice president of marketing for Fountain Powerboats.

"We would like to continue to make this an annual event," Baltz said.

Advertising for the races brings people from Raleigh and all over eastern North Carolina, he pointed out.

At Whichard's Beach Campground & Marina, Deborah Mutherspaw presided over a bustling lunch counter where staff members frantically worked to supply food.

While Mutherspaw said she had no idea how many people were on hand for the races, she did note race weekend is one of the marina-campground's biggest periods of the year.

The Fourth of July is the busiest time for Whichard's Beach, she said.

Outside, hundreds of people played in the Pamlico River as dozens of boats lined areas beyond the banks. Many of those people had just watched the races from the sandy shore.

"The boat race is a great help at this time of year," Mutherspaw said, noting that the races fall between Independence Day and Labor Day.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the memories..