Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Notices

Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Allweiss

I do think everyone should stop attacking each other and their preferred organizations though.

Your 100 % right
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan
Mike I like you you are honest. I am also impresed youwere able to hold APBA together as long as you did. In all other major sports the players have no where to go they can't quit and start a new org. They would have no Stadium no Track. With Boat racing all they need is a body of water. Those protesting teams should have used there strength to help APBA by coming to you and using there strength as leverage. Matbe they did that or perhaps they Just started OSS without trying to better APBA. Perhaps the guy with the yellow boats big trailers and blue lambo wanted to add race org to his empire.

Mike I hope you don't think I was attacking you just wanted to hear your side.

A couple of things. First, I did not take your question as an attack. It was fair and I did screw up.

Second, the Super Cat guys did come to me in St. Pete to work it out. We ultimately agreed to everything they asked of us, including abandoning our agreement with Sterling to go to a single engine program which is why Billy and the others signed the commitment letter. The boycott was a surpise as is the recent decision by OSS to switch to a single engine supplier. Pretty ironic.

Third, Billy has no empire - as a friend of mine (tongue planted firmly in cheek) once said, the emperor has no clothes. He does play the part well though.

Hopefully, everyone can get back to racing under one banner someday. In the meantime everyone should just have fun wherever they go.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Allweiss
A couple of things. First, I did not take your question as an attack. It was fair and I did screw up.

Second, the Super Cat guys did come to me in St. Pete to work it out. We ultimately agreed to everything they asked of us, including abandoning our agreement with Sterling to go to a single engine program which is why Billy and the others signed the commitment letter. The boycott was a surpise as is the recent decision by OSS to switch to a single engine supplier. Pretty ironic.

Third, Billy has no empire - as a friend of mine (tongue planted firmly in cheek) once said, the emperor has no clothes. He does play the part well though.

Hopefully, everyone can get back to racing under one banner someday. In the meantime everyone should just have fun wherever they go.
NOT IF THINGS KEEP GOING LIKE THIS. MAN PROGRESS SURE IS HARD ISNT IT. THAT WAS A STEP FOWARD

Key West

In early January, delegates of OSS and the Conch Republic met in Key West . OSS presented what they hoped would prove to be a successful formula where all offshore racing organizations could have one united World competition. Elements of the formula included OSS taking on responsibility of cost for its staff, prize and other essentials as well as to ensure that no organization (whether OSS, SBI, OPA or POPRA) had to join the other organization to participate in the event unless they voluntarily elected to do so.

On January 23, I received a call from a representative of the Conch Republic board. The call was to notify OSS that on Monday, January 22, it was decided that the Conch Republic would sign a contract soon with Super Boats International (SBI) to produce their November offshore event.

It is a disappointment that there will not be a unified World’s in 2007 but each community has to decide what is best for them. The Conchs took the time, did the diligence and made their decision. We wish them the best of luck for this year’s event.

Many people put numerous hours and great effort into trying to create a unified Worlds. I would like to take this time to thank June Connolly, Barry Gibson, John Haggin, Billy Mauff, Lee Murray, and David Scott.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered

How is Powerboat P1 doing so well? Looks like they've only got 18 registered boats, yet they're on national TV on 4 continents? I also noticed they attended the London Boat Show and seemed to make a big production of it.

I need to figure out how to get in with those guys while I'm over in Europe.

Sean
Old 02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Mike A is the Devil

Sorry about that, just no body has said it recently, so I had too

Now back to our regular programing.

(I was kidding incase anyone wasn't sure)

Now how do we get from where we are now, to where we want to be?
OK, WITH THAT OUT IN THE OPEN SORRY MIKE A., HE WENT THERE FIRST
I LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE TRIED TO MOVE FOWARD
Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered

Sorry Guys, I Just Want Us All Together, With A Voice And Good Racing. Thats All We Ever Wanted
With That I Would Like To Say Good Luck To All This Year. I Hope All Goes Well And Have A Blast, We Will.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Mike S.

Is there a point to OSS anymore? I am being serious, not nasty. But after 3 years of declining boat count, more classes, less stable schedules, loss of most of the original founders, and truth be told, no business plan for genuine growth and success, is there a point to keeping it on life support for another year or two?

J.C. is the only survivor. He has withstood the test of time and some incredible challenges. No one else has. He will never be defeated. He will never lose Key West. His events are better and more stable.

It is not like the old days when unification was impossible due to conflicting egos of individual owners, i.e. me and APBA; Gifford and USO, etc.

Turn OSS into an owners' group and go racing with SBI, OPA and all the good guys over there. The rivalries preventing unification in the past were always between the owners of the sanctioning groups and the racers' loyalties to them. So what now?

Again, I have no dog in the fight anymore. Just a perspective having been away and seen what has happened to the sport. It is very, very, very sad. At least if the remaining OSS teams went to SBI, there would be events with 40 boats or more and perhaps with everyone in one place, the focus would be on making it better and more fun, rather than fighting.

At some point, someone has to wake-up, and take an inventory of where OSS is now versus where and what all the original promises said it would be.

No offense but Billy is a plumber. Not sure that is much better than a lawyer. John is a boat racing businessman. Like him or not he makes it work, has for years, and will continue to do so for as long as he wants to. Time to give in and go have some fun.

Take it for what it is worth.

Last edited by Mike Allweiss; 02-22-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

True On All Parts, All We Need Id To Make Sure We Are All On A Level Playing Field, Which Seems Almost Impossible Anymore. Just My Honest Opinion. Racing Has And Will Be A Huge Part Of My Life, And At 40 Now I Want A Bigger Better Race, To Say I Really Beat The Best Of The Best Like We Did With Donzi. I Miss The Fun Days
If Any One Needs Me I Will Be Dreaming Of A Better Tommorrow. Racing Somewhere And Trying To Havce Fun While It Lasts.
Again Good Luck To All Wherever You Race. Race Hard And Have Fun.
Still Keeping The Faith
Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racesdad
Key West

In early January, delegates of OSS and the Conch Republic met in Key West . OSS presented what they hoped would prove to be a successful formula where all offshore racing organizations could have one united World competition. Elements of the formula included OSS taking on responsibility of cost for its staff, prize and other essentials as well as to ensure that no organization (whether OSS, SBI, OPA or POPRA) had to join the other organization to participate in the event unless they voluntarily elected to do so.
Do you have real details regarding the "successful formula" that they presented?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by TGOR
How is Powerboat P1 doing so well? Looks like they've only got 18 registered boats, yet they're on national TV on 4 continents? I also noticed they attended the London Boat Show and seemed to make a big production of it.

I need to figure out how to get in with those guys while I'm over in Europe.

Sean
I think our problem with television lies with the reality shows,20 retards trying to court one girl or vice versa, people who can't sing making a-holes out of themselves in front of sadistic judges. Sad part it's on every TV in my house, well except one, I'm watch DVD's of boat racing. Maybe we should televise what goes on behind the scenes of offshore, lol. I keep saying this but it's gonna be a great year of racing!

Quick Reply: Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.