Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
Taking our sport to the "Next Level" >

Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Notices

Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine a system where racers genuinely have to work their way up to the top class based upon experience, talent and attitude and not just the depth of their pockets. Also, jackazzes are "removed" from the premiere class and someone else gets a chance.

As Michael said, the sanctioning body "hand picks and pays the crews".

- No more Matthew Newbie showing up with a big checkbook and outspending the veterans to win a championship in the premiere class.

- No more Bert McNobody fanning the mutiny flames with no history in the sport.

- No more William Veteran influencing the rules with inside relationships with sanctioning body sponsors.

- No more Frederick Moneymotor having a monopoly on parts or such.

How cool would that be? A P-Class racer who has proven talent and represents their team and the sanctioning body in a professional manner gets selected to run in the premier class. Kind of like being "drafted" to the pros.

I'm sure many will whine at the thought of it, but I like it.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there room for a Premier Vee Bottom Class, if so sign me up, I can turn in my 2 weeks notice tomorrow, Glad to see your still around Mike,

Eddie
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

I think I deserve more attention for my post - now all of sudden we are again focused on serious issues again - and worst of all, the Homewrecker (Allweiss) is stealing my Thunder.....

Oh well, at least I tried - I still think my idea is the best...

Where is Ryan Beckley when you need him?

Gregg Reichman
Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Registered

Reichman, somebody should bitach slap you for putting something funny in the Race Talk section. How dare you?

"Delivered in fun - obviously"
Jim
Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

money comes to where money is, people bring money, money follows people. so to get more money you need more people..now to get people you have to promote., 3 or 4 different local radio stations have contests for 2 weeks before the event..15th caller gets free freezeframe dvd and t shirt and is in the running for the grand prize!! a ride in a 150 mph race boat complete with video!! yeah I know people hate blowboaters, but has anyoneone ever been to boat nite before the port huron mac race?? theres not a parking space for miles, the place is packed. ferriswheels, face painting, games of skill, beer, babes, food, t shirts..its a friggin carnival. lots of people bring lots of money, lots of money brings lots more money in the form of advertising. get an decent old cat, redo the cabin to seat like 15~20 people, charge them and take them for a boat ride, you dont need to go 150 mph, not even 120..for the average joe that just paid 10 bucks for a ride ticket, 70-80 mph is gonna be a "holy sh!t, that was freaking unreal ride" a quick push on the throttels, a big lead sign on the dash lights up and flashes 100MPH!!..the ride of most peoples lifes...think there coming back next year?? hell yeah.. people really dont care about the race, they care about the spectacle, they wanna go to a party, they want to have fun and be entertained they want, wait to spend there hard earned money and want to come back, the need to see the excitement, they need to smell the excitement, they need to feel the excitement, but above all else, you have to make them believe they are part of the excitement.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, I see what your saying, but it seems almost unattainable. That would take huge amount of $$$, I can't even imagine how much!! Plus what is going to keep the "Good old boy" relationships out of the mix?? Meaning whoever is in charge is going to recruit thir friends and Buddies to run in the premiere class. It would be like a "click" and your either in or out.

The other Mike, Your always going to have Matthew Newbie's around. I hate to say this but look at Nascar, Newbies come in every year with the backing of Mr. Moneybags as his team owner, and if Mr. Moneybags gets pissed off in Nascar he can pull out at his own will.

I guess I should have started two threads one titled "How to completely revolutionize the sport of Offshore Boat Racing" and one titled "Ideas and ways racers can help grow the sport of Offshore Boat Racing" But this is still positive so lets keep it going!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGOR
My only fear about boat shows is displays usually cost money just to get in the door. I did the Ft Lauderdale boat show with Challenger Powerboats and I'm glad they paid for it...they spent a lot of $$$ for their display area.

As for the air shows I've mentioned, I've got an inside line and there's no cost for displays. I'll most likely do both shows myself, but I think a "mini dry pit" area will draw a larger crowd. Not to mention, I'm the air boss for one of the shows, so I won't be able to hang out by the boat to hand out info.

Sean

Sean, That is a great idea, It's kinda far from home for me. But let me see what I can do.
Brad
Old 02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mike Allweiss
Nope. I was serious. Based on my experience, the only way to build this sport into a major motorsport business is to make it so the premier class boats cannot up and leave for any reason, whether because the boat owners feel like it, or the head of the sanctioning body is a jerk and makes them mad. Every time the sport has ever gotten close, it has splintered and sunk.

The fact is that there will always be jerks - or leaders who make controversial, wrong, stupid, whatever, decisions that make people mad.

So, reality is that no intelligent business person will EVER invest the kind of capital necessary to make the sport work unless he can totally control every single facet of the premier class product. In other words, boycott or splinter proof it. The only way that can happen is for the money person / entity behind the sanctioning body/league/association to own every one of the top class boats, hire and pay the crews.

That way, the league can go buy television, produce events and secure sponsors with a guarantee of boats. This is not IROC because the boats will be sponsored, or leased to teams with sponsors, etc. and it will not be necessary to use only one manufacturer either. If the business works and becomes profitable then over time the league can sell franchises to outside team owners subject to no-compete agreements which prevent later splits.

With a stable splinter proof premier class, stable scheduled, television and sponsor base, the support series/classes can prosper too.

Anyway, just a thought. What do I know? (Enter all the MA bashers - "yeah, what does he know," "jerk", "idiot", ad nauseum)
Mike,
like my previous post, you can do whatever you want to classes orginations etc. no one but the racers care and us affecianados care. period. the sport is like a plant, to make it grow, it needs water, water being people and money. if the regular everyday people dont care, there wont be any money. build a circus, people will come, worry about the rules and orgination of running a few elephants down a back alley..who cares?? a few die hard elephant lovers, thats about it. do people go to indy and daytona in droves to see a few cares go round and round for a couple hours or do they go for the party and the atmospher?? for this sport to explode we dont need more or less classes, tech inspections, driver recruitment, what this sport needs is a vince mcman, hell everyone knows wrestling if FAKE, they know its not even real, but they sell out arenas, the sell millions of dollars in merchandise. Ever go to an NFL game in person?? its almost boring to watch with no instant replays and color commentary, but add the tailgate party, the people with painted faces, the people doing the wave in the stands, its not a game its an EVENT. We have BIG colorfull boats, that make LOTS of noise and fly thru the air with the greatest of ease. we have sun and sand, even a few girls in bikinis..the elements are all there. we have the gunpowder, now we just need to build the firewaorks and light the fuse. If we dont, we will always have nothing more than a few over regulated elephants charging down a back alley in relative obscurity.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

To expand on what Phragle said...

"We have BIG colorfull boats, that make LOTS of noise and fly thru the air with the greatest of ease. we have sun and sand, even a few girls in bikinis..the elements are all there. we have the gunpowder, now we just need to build the firewaorks and light the fuse. If we dont, we will always have nothing more than a few over regulated elephants charging down a back alley in relative obscurity".

I'm thinking we also bring back Don Johnson, Melanie Griffin, Kurt Russell, Lorenzo Lammas, 4 Engine Boats (with 4 different engines of course, as 4 different drives).

Maybe a "stomachless man", saw that on Johnny Carson once - it was a riot - what about a man that eats fire...that would get the show going, right, what about a man that Eats fire ,who will do it while standing on the deck of Reliable Carriers Super Cat... just until the 1st turn... (just kidding Tom), I'm also thinking a 3 legged cat - to throttle if Nigel can't find anyone to ride with (just kidding Nigel)...

Gregg Reichman
Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered

bidpro..you cant do better than that??? how about brass poles mounted on the bow of the bud select turbine, with strippers holding on for dear life the entire races!! now I'd buy that for a buck!!

Quick Reply: Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.