Taking our sport to the "Next Level" >

Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Notices

Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Old 02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

I've been pondering about this for a long time, but since the Hollywood Race where I saw some things that got me thinking again of ways to help our sport go to the "next level". Here are my thoughts,
I think it is all about “The Show” no matter weather you are at a Monster Truck Show, Nascar Race, Friday night circle track racing, or the Superbowl. So what can we do to help our sport be more interesting, fun, and easier to watch?? I’m not going to get into another debate about classes; I just want to work with what we’ve got.

- First I think we all (in SBI) should have SUPERBOAT.COM in BIG readable letters on our boats, preferably somewhere you can see it when it is on its trailer heading to and from an event, on both sides and on the back. I know we are all required to have the SBI triangle sticker, but I believe that is mostly for the TV cameras zooming in on us when we are racing. Face it our race Boats are like huge billboards that we drag all over this country and we should use them as such. That way people can go to the site (which is pretty Kick A$$ right now) and see the schedule of who, what, when, and where.
- Then I think AMF is headed in the right direction!! Hollywood was the first race I had seen them in person. The first thing you could see from across the street is that they were having fun. They were putting on a show!! They had music going, lights flashing, Jumbo tron playing, it looked like fun!! Also you could tell right away who the racers were, meaning Scott and Marc where in their full race suits. I also see from their Blog, that they made an appearance at a hospital to visit children (in their race suits) this is the kind of thing we need to do more of to get the attention of the media. We ought to get together and get more teams to do this. Even to the point that teams that show up early and help do site promotion should get a reduced entry fee or something.
- About “the Show”. I know it is difficult to hand out checkered flags on the course and in the production class, you really don’t know who won until the GPS is downloaded. But for the fans we ought to (get a flag in front of them) and pass by as close as possible, meaning have a area predetermined and marked by a buoy of where “Victory Lane” is and where there is plenty of water. From the water everything close to shore looks shallow and from land it all looks deep and like the boats are way out there.
- I think the Racer Parties should be in the pits, and the pits should have more for people to see. For instance High performance boat show, get poker-runners to have their boats on display, or a local club, or a marina, brokerage firm, etc. It should have things for kids to do. Like a play area. Get a local civic group to have this area, they could charge a small fee to cover their expenses and maybe make a little $$ for their cause.
- There should be more promoting, the ad’s we all have heard before with the announcers yelling about motorcross, monster trucks, etc. (THIS WEEKEND ONLY!! FRIDAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY SUPERBOAT RACES!! DON’T MISS THE PARTY IN THE PITS ON FRIDAY NIGHT, SATURDAY ALL DAY HIGH PERFORMANCE BOAT SHOW, SUPERBOAT TESTING, BATHING SUIT COMPETION, SUNDAY RACES AT 1PM, DON’T MISS IT!! COME SEE THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST BOATS FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!) We were in Hollywood for the races and stopped in a Napa auto store that was about 2miles from the pits and they didn’t even know about the race.
These are just a couple of ideas and I know some have been incorporated before, but I think we as racers need to help do what we can. Enough for now I need to find some better uniforms (race suits) for my team and order some more stickers, hero cards, etc.!!!
Later,
Brad Harrington
Owner/Throttleman P4-17
D&M Motorsports / Lake Shores Marina
SBI / APBA / UIM World Champions!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

All good ideas Brad...you guys run that boat great......Look for Karting suits for the boat they are much cheaper and lighter weight material.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Brad...welcome aboard. You picked up what were layin down. As a compettitor it was tough for me to digest at first.

But Haggin (and you) are right ...it is about the show .The racing will come when the Money comes the Money will come with the fans (and sponsors)...the fans (eyeballs) want entertainment and accesability. They want to meet and talk to the crews and be apart of the excitment.... give em what they want.

Were lookng forward to racing with you guys this year!! and we'll and let you konw about our next trip to the hospital before hand so you can join us.

Regard's

Marc

Last edited by Maximus; 02-12-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Registered

Marc, you guys put on one heck of a show. I'm glad to see we are on the same page. I've got some other ideas, but I'd like to hear what others are thinking??? Anyone else have some ideas???
Brad
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't type

I'm glad I can't type because I would probably get myself in trouble. We need TV so people can see what we do up close. Our action is superior to any car race ( not including the wrecks ) . Water changes asphalt does'nt.

Get the sanctioning bodies together and things will take off real fast.

John is on it. I hope he has the patience to see it through.

There are so many entertaining people in boat racing that if the public could see them they could be superstars just like a lot of other athletes are.

OK this took me 45 min to type I'm done
Old 02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great in put Brad !!!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice post Brad!! Whatever you need from Tnt Racing is at your disposal in achomplishing these goals. Also what Pops and the gang did in Chat last year really opened my eyes. Also Kevin Brown in Sarasota. Maybe we should tie in all of our races to Make-A-Wish or St Jude or some charitable cause. There is so much more to this sport than going around in circles for 45 minutes.

Give me a buzz when you get a chance

Trent
321-508-3077
Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Registered

You know I've got nothing but time to put into offshore racing. I'm always ready to help promote the sport as much as possible. I want to keep my job, and the only way to do that is to keep guys racing.

Jeff Kinney
D&M Motorsports
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered

I really think that the focus should be on competitive racing....equitable rules with alot of equally matched boats in a limited number of classes.Other forms of motorsports have proven that a competition based rules format provides exciting racing for the competitors and the fans.The "show" is an important part of the package as well....interactive dry and wet pit areas and an exciting post race awards presentation.

When the fans start coming in measurable numbers;sponsors and television coverage will follow suit.For all of this to really happen;the race teams need to commit to it, and the organizers need to invest in it.Its not going to happen over night,but the potential is definately there.

Last edited by 1waterboy1; 02-13-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for all of your support!! With all of us trying we will get things done.

Trent, I agree Pop's had a great race in Chattanooga!! It should be used as an example of how things should be done. We had all of the boats out in front of the spectators for the national anthem, then gave a "Racers start your engines" comand that helped get the crowd involved!! Then the checkered flags were given to the winers in front of the fans, pretty close too!! Then with the racers agreeing to it we actually had two races back to back. with an hour in between, the first one was what counted for points and the second was just for fun. But the point is that it gave the fans more to see for a longer time.

Jeff, We need to get DMMotorsports.com & Superboat.com on the back and side of the support truck, actually it needs to go on everything!! I'd love to put the whole shedule on the back door of the support truck!!

Waterboy, I agree but I want to concentrate on what we have right now. So we can put on the best show we can with what we have to work with.

Last edited by FunHome; 02-13-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.