Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Jennifer

Super Boat and Dirty Cash did not race in The Bahamas..............BH
Old 10-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree Jen. OSO has made a great offer. They have come through big time for me in the past and looks like they are stepping up again.

If I was owed money like the shipper there is NO WAY I would release anything tell I got the money in full. IF you have a COD package from UPS and it is shipped in two packages you do not get one and have them hold the other tell you pay for both. It is a nasty situation no matter how you look at it. I am sure that teams are paying drivers and shippers to sit and stay in hotel rooms tell this whole mess is solved.

Jon
Old 10-29-2002, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually would not post on something like this. I am in the transportation business and quote often on oversized (OD) freight. It is usually a "quote" and after the freight is picked up, the final numbers are established based of the size, weight, permits, rigging, etc.

Example recently there was a 320,000 lbs Machine we moved. They client did not quite have the proper measurements and did not include bracing and blocking.

I do not know what the original quote was for, but the $29,000 difference would seem extreme. The only way we would hold the freight is if someone said they would not pay or their was a credit issue. If COD was required that could be another issue.

Seems to me the shipping company is making matters worse.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Florida NVOs challenging Caribbean carrier practices

"The professional association for non-vessel-operating common carriers (NVOCCs) in South Florida has formally petitioned the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) to investigate rate setting and service contract practices by steamship lines operating in the Caribbean island trades....

...The NVOCCs' petition claims that the collective actions of the steamship lines "are reducing competition in the trades covered by the CSA and producing both unreasonable reductions in transportation service and unreasonable increases in transportation costs to OTIs (ocean transportation intermediaries), their customers and the shipping public" in violation of federal shipping laws.

The CSA carriers include Bernuth Lines, CMA CGM, Crowley Liner Services, Interline Connection, Maersk Sealand, Seaboard Marine, SeaFreight Line, Tecmarine Lines, and Tropical Shipping..."
--© Copyright 2002 Commonwealth Business Media Inc.

FYI
Old 10-29-2002, 09:50 AM
Boat Girl

Mike you bring up some very good points about how long until they can sell the boats at auction, so I talked to a broker type person that I know, the boats were shipped from the Bahamas on an international ship, they were delivered to the port, since the boat does not wait around for payment they are left in the control of the port for the ship line, once they are there they have 29 days to clear customs if they do not they go into what they call General Ordinance or GO and then they are the property of US customs...

With the boats sitting there per diem storage charges are being incurred, it has been suggested, that if it is really a concern each team should negotiate a rate with Seaboard and deal with it later...or maybe talk to Pia Page, she is the director of the port...I am sure APBA is doing all they can, but there might be other options...Seaboard is very strict and tough to deal with according to this broker I spoke with...

Last edited by Boat Girl; 10-29-2002 at 10:26 AM.

Old 10-29-2002, 09:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The question about lawers.

What is Mike A.????????? If anyone should be on top of the problem with legal matters it should be Mike A. and his law firm.

What is Lee Mills??? Another High profile lawer!!!!!!! Why should we have to look outside the offshore family for help with this matter?

How is it that SBI can go over there for the last 7 years and not have this problem?

Last edited by chaser; 10-29-2002 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:02 AM
Registered

This is totally hypothetical.

Imagine an organization being able to hold hostage participants in another competing organizations championship event????

Na......riuning someone elses show, eliminating the competition....couldn't happen. Wouldn't be weird if all the boats were released on.....oh I don't know maybe like nov. 10th or so.

Couldn't happen......never mind i'm just having random thoughts.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:12 AM
DJD
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sgrady
[B]I usually would not post on something like this. I am in the transportation business and quote often on oversized (OD) freight. It is usually a "quote" and after the freight is picked up, the final numbers are established based of the size, weight, permits, rigging, etc.

Exactly! When I shipped boats with Seaboard, they gave me an estimate. Then, when the boats arrived at the port, they re measured & gave me the exact shipping price in the paperwork. The price was within 1% of their estimate.
They won't ship anything before the paperwork (contract) is signed.
Someone knew the numbers
Old 10-29-2002, 10:16 AM
LadySunseeker

Originally posted by tanned fat looks better
This is totally hypothetical.

Imagine an organization being able to hold hostage participants in another competing organizations championship event????

Na......riuning someone elses show, eliminating the competition....couldn't happen. Wouldn't be weird if all the boats were released on.....oh I don't know maybe like nov. 10th or so.

Couldn't happen......never mind i'm just having random thoughts.
I'm glad you stated "hypothetical." That post is like throwing Cam 2 on a fire.

"As the Prop Turns" espisode 2002.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:24 AM
searider

There seems to be quite a bit of misinformation out there .

I have posted a complete report under General Discussion, "The Freeport Situation.

As your Customs Broker and Freight Forwarder I can report the the information is accurate. REMEMBER, the "Estimate" was made by Ted Zoli NOT the Carrier. They had no idea what would show up and quoted very simply at $72 per square meter. Costs were calculated based upon the actual measurements of what showed up . See my report.

Quick Reply: apba boats seized??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.