Y2K set ups >

Y2K set ups

Notices

Y2K set ups

Old 05-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y2K set ups

Hey guys! Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement, I am doing great and have been keeping the big C in check, I have been checking in here regularly and hav gotten lots of kind IMs.
OSO has been keeping me sane ! I havnt been in a boat since The Conn. river run and I am dying for the smell of salt and exhaust(bad choice of words i guess, but gotta have a sense of humor!) Anyway I cant wait to hear numbers and setups of all these new Y2Ks, When I was setting up my boat there were not many out there and it seemed even less with big HP.I have been following the merc 600 story and want to hear the final results.I dont claim to be an expert but as i have said in here before my experience with my Y2k has shown an extension box on my boat was a mistake ! That 600 (superbabi) needs a 5 blade round ear 29 it will get the revs up and the slip down! My slip nubers sucked (17 to 21 percent) the only thing that helped was going deeper with the drive,2 in spacer , it also dramaticaly improved my bowlift.I heard a long islander bought john jrs boat ? is he on here ? what power? Maybe i shouldnot be giving away my secrets! but it will be great to pick other brains for ideas! My boat is still disassembled ,I pull the motor and drive every winter and with all my health bs havnt been doing anything.I dont think i will be ready for the superfest but ill try , hey bash how about a wednesday night ride!
Jim Capie
Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Default Re: Y2K set ups

ok so how about Y2K guys listing thier setups

JessieJamesIII
2001Y2k
bravo XR with 2 in spacer(propshaft center 6in below keel)
29P5X hydromotive for speed(92 mph decent holeshot)
27P5x labbed for racing P-4(85mph amazing holeshot)
509 blowershop250 4psiboost 650 to 675 hp
bottom blueprinted straight(no special rocker bottom)
280tabs rarely needed except when racing
and I also prefer lefty props but they do put extra stress on theb top cap , and yess I have eaten many bravos!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

What type of extension box did you try. As you probably have read I want to use the ITS cause of its clean transome set up more than anything. Its conservitave ant 7-7 1/2 setback. JC feels that I should raise the X 1" over the set up hes using. I guess hes about 4 1/2 below with current set up. I hear from JC Carys black Y2K with 496 and ITS (now whippled) is running 81 with the 1" higher X
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Jcap did you gain, loose, or stay the same with the ext box you used?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's Great to Here from you Jim!
We will miss you at Claudio's this year!
Hopefully we will hook up later in the season...
My 24' is packing a little more punch this year, but not quite enough to keep up with you.
Not yet anyway...
Old 05-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Registered

hey Pat,
I have been following your adventures also! sounds like you will be running very strong this year! Im not giviung up on claudios yet! And great to hear from you too pat!
OZone,I agree the ITS set up looks very clean and with the narrow beam it makes tab installation easier and a much cleaner transom,I had an Imco box set at neutral and lost 3 mph and also had a real bow lift problem,The Y2K is already a long hull for a single and a box makes it longer and harder to lift the bow, with an ITS i would definetely put SPACERS or LOWER the X. I know John says I am wrong , he says raise the X( he puts prop shaft 4 inches below keel) But prop slip and bow lift are inherint problems of long, narrow beam deep Vs . and seting the X lower helps with both problems , yes I know it increases drag but these are ocean boats not flat bottom lake hulls.OK im rambling again, just my 2 cents

How about other setups ? get under those hulls and check propshaft height! I would love to hear the numbers for superbabi? John Jrs boat ,the black boat with the whipple? With low hp 496factory power and under 80mph slip isnt so bad and a higher x is ok, with bigger hp and over 80mph slip climbs and bowlift degrades , My boat had a strong hp500 with a procharger and I barely did 80 slip was 20% and the nose was always down!
Old 05-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hi Jim, GLAD TO HEAR ALL IS WELL. The 600 sci is in my boat as you know. All your ideas are very close to what the merc. racing rep has in mind 2" drive spacer and various 5 blade set ups. I hope we can get this all dialed in very soon anxious we grow. We really hope we can get this boat/motor combo going nice. Thanks Jim for taking your time to post this thread. Your coments are valued for sure. ..............Gary
Old 05-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Registered

alright Gary now your talking !
Deeper will be faster!
dam I should have kept my mouth shut!
I wont be top Dog for long!!John has been saying higher X and I have been saying lower! Best of luck gary!

I have tried damn near everything so if i can help just call!
Jim 631-893-9320
Old 05-25-2005, 04:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Jim;
Talking with JC today, he says that he has been setting the propshaft at 4 1/2 in below in all the recent Y2k's. Carys black 496 w/ITS was doing 74 and 81 whippled. I asked JC a while back and he thought he raised the X 1" for the ITS on that boat. Ill ask him again. My thoughts is I can always add a 2" spacer if needed and poroably the cheapest way to adjust the propshaft depth. Hope to learn more when the Merc rep comes back. THanks for your input. I sure do appreciate it... Feel better bro...
Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcap
hey Pat,
Im not giviung up on claudios yet!
Excellent! Now your talking!

Jim,
I think you told me that you and the Mrs. make a trip out east to Shelter yearly. If not on the 12th, I'll meet you in Greenport anytime...

Quick Reply: Y2K set ups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.