Winter Projects

Notices

Winter Projects

Old 12-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Patrick,

You will have to post some pics of your new mounts. What was up with JMK's engine mounts?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey back at you Dave,
I'll take a few shots before I cover her up this weekend.

As far as JMK's problems, I should maybe let him tell the story... I will say that it does not sound like JC was vary helpful though.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Pat,

If you don't hear back from me it means that I did not get the message. We need to swap telephone numbers again -- there have been a couple of times when I wanted to get your thoughts on a boat related matter. I almost broke down on rte 9 with the boat in tow and would have loved to have somone to call with a truck.

With regards to my problem/project, you all would not have wanted to be in my car last night as my wife and I were driving home from the office (we commute togehter -- I know) and I broke it to her that the winterizing was a bit more expensive then she thought it was going to be.
All I can say is that OP stated that the saftey clamps were not "folded down" and as a result the engine shifted and it damaged the couplar(sp?) Thus, I was told that the Couplar needed to be repaired $$$. In addition, my engine was some "thousands out of roatation as a result of a bent shaft. I know I did not hit anything in my travels this year. All said and done, it was expensive to the point that I will probably have it paid off when it is time to launch it. JC's response to my call was that OP was full of **** and he would fix it but there is probably nothing wrong with it and they are just trying to soak me for some $$ I hope that they are hitting the guy with the 42 fountiain and not the little guy with a 24' Superboat and a 1984 pick-up truck. Anyway, JC and I have a seperate matter that we will be addressing in the very nerar future.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

JMK,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My coupler went out on me at the end of the first season I had my boat. Funny thing is that I was told the same thing about the tabs not being bent down. Is your motor still under warranty? My coupler was covered under warranty.

Dave M.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey JMK,
Sorry we didn't hook up...
No need to pay OP to winterize, you can join Gregg (my friend with the Fountain) and I when we do ours down at the Marina next year. It takes less than one hour to winterize the engine and pull the drive.
If your drive is off now, I'll help you bolt it back on next Spring. That takes all of 15min.
As for a bent prop shaft, that is what I am assuming you are referring to, that is easy to check. I don't think OP would do work that is not needed. Their prices have gone up a lot over the years but I trust them.
Keep in touch,
Old 12-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Registered

Dave,

My engine is still under warranty. Some solace hearing about similar experiences.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,
Tabs bent down or not, these boats should have solid engine mounts. Most off-shore boats do, and I know that the new 30' Superboats do, I saw at the factory. JC told me that the stringers were too close for the solid mount and that he never had problems with the standard merc mounts in a 24'. Well, we are three for three .
I installed my own engine this year, and believe me, I bent the tabs to hold the nut in place. One side held one side did not. I jacked the engine back into place 4 or 5 times. Lucky for me, I new of the problem from my Donzi days. I wish I had installed the solid mount last spring, I just got impatient...
Old 12-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, I was hoping for some of those freak warm days we get in December. I am going outside to winterize right now. In the past few years we had some 70+ degree days in the beginning of Dec. and I was sorry I winterized too soon.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

I'm a memeber of that club...

Holy crap...I had the same thing happen to me on July 4 2 seasons ago.. I too made the call to SB but to no avail. Then being the cheap prick that I am, I didn't have the extended warranty ( i could fix anything right? Yeah!) Anyway I went for a new coupler, Holden did the work and the money I had put aside for my hydaulic helm was now invested in a new coupler!

That sux JMK, good luck with her....
Old 12-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Registered

What is the solution to prevent this from happening in the future??

Quick Reply: Winter Projects

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.