Winter Projects >

Winter Projects

Notices

Winter Projects

Old 12-13-2003, 01:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best solution is a race mount, but that can be expensive as I just had one put in.

If you stay with adjustable mounts, you need to check them after running hard in the rough.

One other solution I have thought of:
With the engine perfectly aligned, take a measurement between the angles bolted to the stringer and the bottom of the mount bolted to the engine.
Then machine a spacer block to the correct size. Hold the engine in the air and put the spacer block in place of the adjustable trunnion. Put a bolt from the bottom up through the angle, spacer block, and engine mount.
Should work... May be place some thin hard rubber between the angle and spacer to make up for anything that may be out of parallel as well.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Shot of my boat's new engine mount.
Yes, I know the bilge needs a cleaning and a paint job...
It's on the list.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Projects-engine-mount.jpg  
Old 12-14-2003, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Another shot.
In my humble opinion, these boats should be rigged with a similar engine mounting system straight from the factory...
Attached Thumbnails Winter Projects-engine-mount-2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the Pantera's have this problem -- Pat I'm going to need you to show me where the hell I have to keep an eye on!!
Old 12-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

The mount looks good. It doesn't look like it would of been that difficult to install. Did they just rotate the inside piece of angle iron 90 degrees? How do they measure for alignment? Will your alignment always be right on now? I guess that thing don't move?

Dave M.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

JMK,
My 1989 Pantera had a race mount, so it did not have this problem.
If a Pantera would be rigged without a race mount, yes it would have this problem. Jo and Pepe rig all of their new boats with race mounts, I have seen the standard mounts in older Panteras.
I will most certainly show you what to look for before next Spring. It is quite simple.

Dave,
Judging from the 10 hour labor bill I received, I think that it was not that easy. I did question the service manager when I received my bill.
He had the head mechanic, Ronny, explain the whole process. I have know Ronny since the mid 80's when I was a doc boy, so he had no problem telling me the whole deal.
The aluminum angles are new and were cut and machined to match the mount. A jig (bare engine block) is used along with the bell housing for location.
An alignment tool is put though the gimble bearing into the drive coupler to get the alignment right. Then the stringers are drilled while all is in place.
Yes, the engine alignment should be right on from now on.
Another good thing about this type of mount is that it ties the two stringers together. With the adjustable mounts, the engine can move around. When it does, only one stringer bears the load. Not a good thing, that is why stringers break.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 12-15-2003 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Well the $$ have been flying out of my wallet...
Good thing I just got a Christmas bonus.

I got my heads back from the machine shop.
They received a bowel porting, new stainless severe duty valves, and new springs, retainers, & locks.

I also received my new cam shaft.

Hopefully I will make room for my engine in the basement shortly after Christmas.

My props went down to Houston Prop. to be reworked.

I made an offer on some diverters for captains call.

Oh Boy... I will need to work some over time.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Patrick,

How much HP are you planning on having? I was thinking of ditching my silent choice. I have had a lot of trouble with mine. The one diverter keeps closing on me. I've replaced the check valve. I must have an air leak somewhere. I think the systems with the electric selonoids are better than the air assist systems. I have been using tie wraps to keep the diverters open full time. My engine doesn't seem that load anyway.

Dave M.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Dave,
If I stay with the GM MPI system, I am told that the engine will max out at about 375HP. If I replace the MPI with a carb and dual plan intake, my mods should yield about 400HP.
The cam I bought is a stock replacement cam that was designed to give 454mag and 502mag engines about 40 more ponies.

Dave, this cam, a good exhaust system, and remapped ECU would give you about 60HP more. Want the part number?

I just completed the deal for 2 used sets of Corsa electrical diverters that, " need some work",$200. Hopefully I can get one set of the two to work.
I have a friend with the Corsa electrical, and he has never had a problem.

I have been using muffler inserts in the exhaust tips and they do take the edge off, but the people at my marina still look at me sideways when I leave early or come home late.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking to redo my teak

www.morelandhose.com

Quick Reply: Winter Projects

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.