Winter Projects

Notices

Winter Projects

Old 12-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Hoser,

Do you own that business? Is that where your handle comes from? I may be need some hose and fittings for my steering upgrade.

Dave M.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:27 PM
ken
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I live in Manhattan but have a family home on the bay in South Baldwin, Long Island. On the Superboat website, I noticed that the Superboat factory is selling a 21 Legend demo with a 6.2 MX Merc for $29,000. Do you feel that this boat is appropriate for boating in the bay in the Freeport area? Also, do you feel that the deal as shown on the site for the 21 Legend is a fair price?
Finally, does anyone know if Superboat will be exhibiting at the NY Boat Show this December?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-18-2003, 09:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ken,
I saw that boat at the factory last year when it was being built. It is one of the first, if not the first 21' with the new deck design. Vary sweet looking ride! I'll bet it will really fly with that 320HP/6.2 too...

As for the size: If you plan on doing any water sports, ie. water skiing, the 21' is a good size. If you are just going to be blasting around the Bay or the Sound, the 24' handles rough water allot better.

I would say $29,000 would be a real good price if you can get JC to throw in a trailer or the extended warranty. There are some really nice almost/better than new used 24s for the same $$.

I don't think Superboat will be at the show, I haven't seen JC display before???

Ken, my wife has family in Baldwin, nice area...

Good Luck with your hunt!

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 12-18-2003 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:29 PM
ken
Registered

Pat, thanks for the reply. I grew up in Baldwin Harbor and had boats since my very early teens. That was how we met girls before we had our car drivers license! Now I am a guy with a wife and 14 year old daughter living in Manhattan who wants to get back into boating. I am looking at a few boats, some that I totally lusted for as a youth, such as a Donzi 22 Classic. I spoke to JC this past fall, but have not visited the factory yet. Another quick question; in looking at the Pantera website, their 24 looks like the same hull as the Superboat 24. Is that true? So you are saying that if I want to just blast around, the more appropriate boat would be the 24. What is the "right" set up for the 24, the 496 Mag or 496 HO, and what would be a good ballpark price to pay for an ordered boat? Thanks very much for your replies. I have been all over this, Hotboat and other sites for the past several months reading everything I can. Now I am ready to really narrow my focus among the following manufacturers; Superboat, Donzi, Sonic, Pantera and a couple of West Coast manufacturers, Howard and Ultra.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-19-2003, 06:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Ken,

I would agree with what Patrick said about the 21's & 24's. The 24 can handle some pretty rough water. The 21 could be a scary ride for some. I am a family man too. I have a 24 and it suites my needs well. A 21 would have a much less comfortable and secure feeling for my wife compared to the 24. I haven't tried skiing or tubing with my 24 but I guess it could be done.

As far as the price you mentioned for the '21, I don't really know what other comparable boats cost. I don't think John would be displaying at the NYC boat show. That show is not really known for performance boats and Superboat is a very small company. I bought my 24 used but I would guess that a new one would cost between 50 - 60K depending on how it is rigged. I am thinking about selling my 24 so I can upgrade to a '30. Here's a link to some pics of my boat.

http://wanspages.prodigy.net/dmcdowall/superboat.html

Dave M.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered

the 21 is a great boat the the bays i have had mine for 18 years and will NEVER sell it.

and yes i do own moreland hose
and if you look on the web site im in the process
of a marine section for all the fuel,steering,and so on.

www.morelandhose.com
Old 12-19-2003, 03:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Ken,
The 22' Classic is also one of my all time favorites. If you like sit down boats, Pantera's new 24' Sport is one hot looking machine.
I personally like the option of standing in the rough.
24' Superboat vs Pantera: I sold my 1989 24' Pantera in favor of my 1997 24' Superboat. I had them side by side, and yes the hulls are nearly identical.
Power: Most of the newer 24' boat have been rigged with 385HP/454mag engines. Same power as the new 496mag. It is all about how fast you want to go... 400HP will push the boat 75mph, 500HP will push it 85mph.
Good Luck! and Happy Hunting...
Old 12-19-2003, 10:46 PM
ken
Registered

Dave, Pat, thank you for your replies. Dave, I checked out the pics of your 24. Beautiful boat. Pat, I am going to Florida for business at the end of January and will go to the Pantera factory during my trip. I am also going to the Sonic facory as well regarding their 26. By referring to the Pantera 24 as a sit down boat, you mean that it does not have drop down bolsters whereas the Superboat 24 does? That is a consideration. Pat, do the top end figures you quote with 400 and 500 hp refer to the speeds attainable with both the Superboat and Pantera 24 models? When I get back from Fla, I will contact JC regarding an appointment to visit the factory and check out the specs and options on a new 24. It is a lot of fun researching and looking, but I really want to focus hard, choose and purchase a boat. I need to take a USCG course this winter to refresh my knowledge of the rules of the road. Thanks to you both for your replies and I will be in touch.
Ken
Old 12-20-2003, 08:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hi Ken,
Pantera offers a 24' Sport Model and a SE model. The Sport model is the sit down version in most cases. The SE model is much like the 24' Superboat, with stand/sit bolster. The SE model also normally has a full cabin like the Superboat.
Panteras are a couple of hundred pounds heaver and have an old school straight V bottom. The newer, 1998 and up, 24' Superboats have a small step and small pad on the bottom. With the same power, a Superboat is 1-2mph faster...
Have a good trip to FLA and tell JO I said HI...
Old 12-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Registered

Anyone have carpet in their cockpit? I'm thinking about carpet to protect the floor from scuffs and the like.

Quick Reply: Winter Projects

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.