New potential SB owners... >

New potential SB owners...

Notices

New potential SB owners...

Old 03-02-2004, 08:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the cost of two 6.2's hooked Bravos would be about the same $$ as a 525 hooked to a XR...
JC is going to need a big shoe horn to get them in there.
I wonder how the balance will be? I'm guessing OK; there were 30's built with twin 400 cube sbc hooked to TRS drives...
Old 03-03-2004, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the cost of two 6.2's hooked Bravos would be about the same $$ as a 525 hooked to a XR...
I was suprised at how much more twins were than a single. The cost basically doubled.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if I could get staggered 496"s in, that would be a hell of a Poker Run boat with a merc warrentee 850 hp,

John Jr and I talked about it last weekend now that's all I've been thinking about.

Eddie
Old 03-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by fastedy
I wonder if I could get staggered 496"s in, that would be a hell of a Poker Run boat with a merc warrentee 850 hp,

John Jr and I talked about it last weekend now that's all I've been thinking about.

Eddie
Hell a y2k with a 525 would make a great pokerrun boat. staggered 496s make a cut out on the deck for 2 seats(rumble seat soo you can take 4 would be kooool!) I'd put gauges on the port dash with angled bessels like cigs!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Registered

I'm not all that crazy about the staggered BB idea because of the weight, cost, and the cockpit space it would eat up. I my mind the boat would be a hard sell at resale having only a tiny cockpit. Sure there are buyers out there for "poker run" boats, but it's a much smaller market. Besides the cost of such a package would likely drive buyers to bigger name brands. In my mind Superboat is really perceived their for their value, with the twin staggered BB's I think you lose too much value. The fact that the Y2K comes with a single BB is were it's value is created, but it's a double edged sword. The single keeps the initial cost down, as well as maintenance and fuel costs, while offering okay performance. The down side is the lack of redundancy that twins offer. The other big down-side in my mind is the lack of maneuverability with a single. For some people the maneuverability isn't much of an issue, but for me I much prefer having the added control of twins around tight docks. Not that I wouldn't own a single, but twins are a big "plus" in my book when we are talking about a 31' boat. MY next concern is speed. I personally would want a 90+ mph boat. Can this be done with a single BB? Sure, but it will likely take 625 hp to see 90 mph and 775 hp to get me to 100 mph. Such a motor isn't cheap. The better solution in my mind is to go with twin SB's. Anyone can build 425 hp SB (383's) relatively cheaply and they are damn near bulletproof. These motors should easily get a Y2K up to the century mark. If more speed is desired, these motors can easily be bumped up to say 550+hp each, which would get a Y2K moving at a tune of 115+ mph. Don't need 100 mph? Twin 275 hp SB's would propel the Y2K to 80 mph. 275 hp SB's will run forever and can be had for peanuts. I my mind twin SB's make a lot of sense.

Anyone have any pictures of a twin SB installation? Also, how much speed will this boat handle? At what speed does chine walk (or any other unwanted traits) become an issue on the Y2k?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:54 AM
mirageman

Why is there such a cost difference with the twins????
Cost wise I found a pair of 6.2 and bravo's for 18k new, in boxes. Granted these are only bravo's and not xr's.
A 496HO with bravo xr will run in the mid 20's (new)
A 500HP with Bravo xr will run in the low 30's (new)
A 525 with bravo xr will run mid to upper 30's. (new)
Shop costs at 70.00 an hour with a two week install time 80 hours total would be $2800.00 bucks?

This is all just speculation at this point.

I love the twin set-up and could not afford the costs of the 525.

Oh well. I love this boat and plan on ordering it with twins once I save up enough cash, probably now this winter.

As far as the staggered set-up with loosing the back bench, I would be concerned about resale. There is that Pantera floating arounding that changes hands every couple of years, and takes a huge hit on the resale.

This is my plan.....
I would go with twin smallblocks as a first option. twin 6.2's stock should net you about 86 mph +\-
Procharged or whippled should net you over a 100 mph.... 30-y2k @ 6000 pounds (1000 pounds extra for second motor and drive) with twin 6.2L MX and Procharged with 504 c.i. intercooler and 7 psi pulleys should bring the boat close to 960 h.p. (320 h.p. + 160 procharged h.p. X 2) at 107 mph with about 20 gallons of fuel in the tank. phew..... However, that 20 gallons is going to go really quick at w.o.t.
Also an oil cooler would be mandatory for each motor.

Second reason to go with twins, that boat is going to look bad-azz with the back end squated in the water a little more with the bow raised just a bit because of the added wieght, just tied up to the dock.

Third- reliability.

Fourth - Twins are funner in the sack

Fifth - it will sound bad-azz.

As far as a second option, a large high cube single. But with that you could run into reliability issues etc.

Third option if I can't afford these....30-y2k with the 496 375 h.p. for 49k

What do you all think?

Old 03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
mirageman

I agree with SS930!

Old 03-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call John. From what he told my buddy who was about to pull the trigger on one, it's a completely different animal than the 30Y2K with a single. Costs double.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I don't think a 30Y2K has ever been built as a twin.
I am sure that the stringer system will have to be a lot different. Maybe the cost is much higher because JC is deferring some of the design, and tooling costs???

I owned a 28' Cig with twin sbc and it was a great boat, however maintaining and feeding two was about double. My last two boats have been smaller 24' single bbc, and it will be a long time before I go back to twins.
As for as the handling around docks, I am sure twins are far better. I have not driven a 30' Superboat but I have driven a 29' Fountain. If the wind kicks up it can be a handful...

Top speed is over rated in my opinion... I get much more of a rush catching air in the rough than a flat out run on glass. To each their own.
As far as how fast a 30' Superboat will run ??? To my knowledge, Mike's Zuperboat is the only to get close to the century mark. High 90's with a 750HP blower motor. Jcap's boat runs just shy of 90 with a 650HP blower motor. JC had some bad luck a few years back when making a speed run for Power Boat in a 750HP blower motor in a 30 Y2K. Told me she snapped a valve. How fast she would have run ??? I know he was hoping for 100.
In my opinion the 30Y2K is most attractive with a single 496/Bravo, that 50K- 60K price just can't be beet. If 68-72mph is not fast enough, well another 6K buys a Whipple charger.

Great thread!

Old 03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
mirageman

Personally I like the idea of the twin s.b. Reliability namely, and top speed without a wild b.b.

If I can afford it I will order with twin s.b. If I can't, then the 50K special.

Quick Reply: New potential SB owners...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.